Belated June BPCR Silhouette Match Report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Belated June BPCR Silhouette Match Report

Post by Marc »

It was, in a word, windy! There is an automated weather reporting station next to the range and the NWS reported winds of 10 MPH and gusts to 25 MPH throughout the day. In addition the wind switched from east to west during the day. There are three flags on the course and at one point all the flags were pointing different directions. However this is normal for summer at the range. Our windless days usually come in the winter.

I am not well and I almost didn't go but decided to go at the last minute. I am to weak to shoot well off hand so I didn't expect much at chickens and I didn't get any. I did manage a few near misses but close doesn't count. The wind sure didn't help but the wind didn't seem to push the rifle around to bad and I was able to adjust the windage to take care of the bullet drift.

The wind started to switch around during pigs. The gusts dropped and we just had the 10 MPH wind quartering from behind us. I could deal with that and managed 8 pigs. The gusts were back for turkeys and I didn't start out well. Then the gusts dropped off for the rest of my relay and I ended up with 5 turkeys. So not looking to bad in spite of chickens.

It wasn't to last! By the time I got to the line for rams the wind had completed its 180 degree switch and the "gusts" were at full strength. I don't know why they call them "gusts" since it just blew without letup. I was able to hold elevation well enough but it was impossible to adjust for windage. Rams are long and normally you have some room for error in your windage settings. Not on Saturday! One bullet would be off the left edge of the ram, the next would be off the right edge. At first I tried to keep adjusting the windage but it was hopeless. I ended up with 2 rams. Final score was 15.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Belated June BPCR Silhouette Match Report

Post by Griff »

But, did you have fun? :P :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I've always admired those Black Powder Cartridge Rifle silhouette shooters and spotters who have the ability to dope wind and mirage. The whole thing just confuses me! Still, I have enjoyed the sport very much despite not being very good at it. Shooting a 15/40 would be a good day for me! :oops:

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Marc wrote:I am not well and I almost didn't go but decided to go at the last minute.
I'm glad you went anyway; sounds like you enjoyed the day and contributed to the overall camaraderie of the event no doubt.

Prayers up that you are in better shape for the next match.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Hey, it could always be worse! I bet it was still a good day.
NRA Life Member
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

Shasta wrote:I've always admired those Black Powder Cartridge Rifle silhouette shooters and spotters who have the ability to dope wind and mirage.

SHASTA
There was no doping this wind, at least with my rig. You can't tell if the wind is blowing 20 MPH or 25 Mph by looking at a flag. Even if you could you can't tell what is going on between flags. The mirage flattens out and disappears in those winds. A bullet with a higher B.C. would help and the Lyman Snover was recommended to me. The 45's with heavy bullets buck the wind better too, they tell me.

Yes, it is always fun to knock those steel critters down! We have a great bunch of guys to shoot with too. Shooting the match did me in though. I had to lay down for a while before I was able to drive home.

My guts aren't working right. I was scoped this morning from both ends. They didn't find anything major. The doctor wants to check my gall bladder and my small intestine next. Have to wait for the insurance company to clear it.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!