Using a 30-30 Lee factory crimp die on 32 Win. Special

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ol shooter
Levergunner

Using a 30-30 Lee factory crimp die on 32 Win. Special

Post by ol shooter »

The .30-30 is the parent case of the .32 Special, and the bullet diameter is only .013" different. Do you think I can successfully use the Lee factory crimp die for the .30-30 on the .32 Special without alterations to the die? Any input is appreciated. :D

I am a new member, and very happy to be here with other lever enthusiasts.
Win. 1894- .30-30 Win.
Win. 1894- .32 Win. Special
Marlin .444 Sporter
Browning BLR- .308 Win.
Henry H001- .22 LR
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Using a 30-30 Lee factory crimp die on 32 Win. Special

Post by 3leggedturtle »

1ST OFF Welcome to the Forumn. It has the best bunch of enablers you'll ever want to meet. :D 2nd I have no idea if it would work. If you have it, try it. Tho I'm assuming yer thinking of buying one and want to know first if it will work. todd AKA 3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Welcome to the forum.

I would strongly suggest buying the correct die. .013" maybe seem like a small amount, but it's enough to cause trouble. I've used a Lee FCD on my 30-30 ammo and there are some bullets it won't crimp. So they do have their limits.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Please note that I am passing on hearsay and not personal experience. I have read a few posts were guys used the 30-30 LFC Die for 32 Special. Please find someone to confirm real experience. I will search out some links if I can.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/reloa ... s-redding-

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=37236 last post
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Works like a charm for me. I read about it in Rifle Magizine I think, tried it and am very pleased.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Welcome ol shooter
looks like ya have some nice Levers
my 30-30 Lee FCD works just fine on my 32 WS, with lead or a jacketed Bullet
in fact ill be loading some 32s tonight

ollogger
Bob Hatfield
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bob Hatfield »

Works fine. It works so good I believe that Lee doesnt make one for 32 special. Used my 30-30 FCD all the time for 32 Special

Bob
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

EdinCT wrote:Works like a charm for me. I read about it in Rifle Magizine I think, tried it and am very pleased.

Me too, been doing that for 10 years or more. In fact, in order to expand on that subject, I use 38-40 crimp dies on several other 40 caliber rifle cartridges, like the 40-65 and the 40-82, 45-70 c die on the 45-90 on and on with many different calibers. The only thing you need to do is to make sure the host die is shorter than the cartridge you plan on using it on, then make up a piece of heavy copper tubing adapter that's the length of the difference in measurements between the two cartridges. example.. the 45 is 2.1 and the 45-90 is 2.4 so make the tubing .3 or .300 thousandths. Just slip this "adapter" over the cartridge before running it into the lfc die.---------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to THE Forum.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

1. Lee will send you a custom FCD for whatever case you send them for twenty or so bucks, so it may be worth doing that. (Currently the spike in reloading interest has them backlogged, but I think it was $29 last time I checked.)

2. I prefer the 'rifle' FCD vs. the 'pistol' FCD (there is a BIG difference mechanically between the two types of Lee 'Factory Crimp' dies...!), so to crimp 44 Magnum ('pistol' type) I was using a 44-40 FCD ('rifle' type). The only 'critical' dimension was not the bullet-diameter, but rather the case length - for best results I filed a tiny bit off the base of the die so the case would be farther into the die before the crimp was triggered (by the sliding die-insert). With the proper cases for the die, 'case length' isn't really a big deal, but when pushing the limits by using the wrong die for a cartridge, it can matter. Anyway, no doubt you can use some dies for 'wrong' cartridges, and at least for the 44 Mag and 44-40, the 'issue' was not diameter, but length.

Once I found out they'd make a 'custom' die for you, I ordered a 44 Mag one in the 'rifle' configuration.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
ol shooter
Levergunner

Post by ol shooter »

Thanks to all for the generous welcome and replies. I am happy to see some had success using the 30-30 FCD on the .32. I have die sets for both, but as you already know, Lee does not offer the FCD in the .32. It was my fathers rifle, given to my son by his uncle recently, and he wants to shoot it badly. Ammo is non-existent because of the panic, but I was able to find bullets and brass with little effort. So, I guess i had better get to loading, and see how the crimp does. Being a True Blue American like you all, I love the unique nature of the lever, as does my son. I would like to collect a few more vintage ones before I check out. Regards to all. :D
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

AJMD429 wrote:1. Lee will send you a custom FCD for whatever case you send them for twenty or so bucks, so it may be worth doing that. (Currently the spike in reloading interest has them backlogged, but I think it was $29 last time I checked.)

2. I prefer the 'rifle' FCD vs. the 'pistol' FCD (there is a BIG difference mechanically between the two types of Lee 'Factory Crimp' dies...!), so to crimp 44 Magnum ('pistol' type) I was using a 44-40 FCD ('rifle' type). The only 'critical' dimension was not the bullet-diameter, but rather the case length - for best results I filed a tiny bit off the base of the die so the case would be farther into the die before the crimp was triggered (by the sliding die-insert). With the proper cases for the die, 'case length' isn't really a big deal, but when pushing the limits by using the wrong die for a cartridge, it can matter. Anyway, no doubt you can use some dies for 'wrong' cartridges, and at least for the 44 Mag and 44-40, the 'issue' was not diameter, but length.

Once I found out they'd make a 'custom' die for you, I ordered a 44 Mag one in the 'rifle' configuration.
AJMD429,

Ranch Dog for a short time sold custom Lee FC dies for the 357 & 44 Magnums. These were minus the resizing ring at the bottom of the die and crimped only. I suppose they turn up for sale on occasion. I'm happy with my two.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

So along this train of thought, can i use a 30-30. Fc die on other .30 cal cartridges? Whats the difference between one for 30-30 and one for 30-40?
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1