English Style Driven Pigeon Shoot

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

English Style Driven Pigeon Shoot

Post by 86er »

The local bird hunting resort consulted with me to find a way to generate summer income. They were considering dog training but I told them that requires a full time committment and was results oriented. I suggested monthly pigeon shoots (among other things) so I set one up for them. Today was the first go at it. We had 20 shooters and flew 330 birds. The shooters rotate shooting butts in a circle every so many minutes. The pigeons are "driven" from the wood and dog handlers pick the the shot birds. There was one no-show and one cancellation so Brandon was able to shoot and I shot some while tending to other chores and "choreographing" the event. Justin chose to work in the kitchen and was responsible for a large strawberry cake. CRS, Jim (my lawyer) and Piller's son were there representing levergunners. Brandon shot 63 rounds from his .410 single shot and hit 11 birds. I shot 26 shots and killed 19 birds. Interestingly, I had a W&S 12 bore pigeon gun with tight chokes and 1.25 ounce #6 shot. Many pigeons lost feathers and began flying erratically but were able to keep flight for a while. Sometime they were shot several times before they fell. Brandon waited patiently for incomers at 25 yds or less and had a very high kill ratio even though he had 1/2 ounce of # 7.5 shot. Just proves that hitting the birds in the front end is more important that anything else. I did not get to see many of the other shooters but I heard CRS and Jim had some impressive shots and Piller's son knocked down a few too. Overall, 167 were killed. Here is one photo - maybe CRS can post the group photo.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: English Style Driven Pigeon Shoot

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

The shoot was a first for me and a lot of fun. It was simialr to shooting big tough doves and they were challenging targets. When the group pix are emailed, I will post one of the group wuth birds.
I think the owner of the bird hunting operation has a real winner here, as the shoot was oversubscribed with 10 shooters turned away.
Last edited by crs on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

86er wrote: "choreographing" the event.

That sounds to tediouse for my taste !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I hope the beaters were supplied with beer, otherwise it ain't English style!.... :lol:

Well done Brandon, you are going to be serious competition to your Pa.. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Well done 8)
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My son had a great time, at least if the fact that he has mentioned it about every other sentence since I got home from work about 7:30 pm yesterday is any indication. When one falls on my weekend off, I will have to go. Jarrod even said the food was good, and he is a very picky eater.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Similar to Pheasant Tower hunts I have been on here.(they call them european hunts.

Might do the same there, hunters in circle, pigeons chucked out of a tower in the center.
Makes for an interesting shot as pheasants can really get moving. Pigeons would be even faster.

Would like to give that a try.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Makes me wonder what Brandon could do with a 28 ga. He sure is some kinds shooter.

I saw an H&R 28 youth model in a store a few weeks ago. I didn't even know they made a youth 28. I had to special order mine and pay a premium to boot.

Looks like a great time. :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Rusty wrote:Makes me wonder what Brandon could do with a 28 ga. He sure is some kinds shooter.

I saw an H&R 28 youth model in a store a few weeks ago. I didn't even know they made a youth 28. I had to special order mine and pay a premium to boot.

Looks like a great time. :D
I bought one them a year ago March. I only bought cuz it was $115. Guy at the PS said the person who traded it in only shot 2-3 times. Shells are cheaper than .410, tho will load both afterwards. But both Pitchy and I figured out why it was shot so little. When big guys shoot it with the short stock, even tho it has a great pad. It knocks the heck out of your nose and cheek. The barrel fits nicely on 3 other frames I have, just haven't shot it yet with a full sized stock.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
SIGHTHUNTER09
Levergunner

Post by SIGHTHUNTER09 »

Thank you for helping my brother Mr. Joe.
Devonna Casady
SIGHTHUNTER09

NRA- Life Members
Hunts all seasons
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

BTT - Group picture added July 7,2013.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/