FP 366--- tap ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sigmar
Levergunner 2.0

FP 366--- tap ?

Post by Sigmar »

well based on recommendations from you guys I settled on a peep sight. Just got it in today and from reading the instructions its talking about tapping for the mounting screws. No haven't yet looked at my rifle (Marlin 336 30-30) almost afraid to find out this is true. Is it?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: FP 366--- tap ?

Post by AJMD429 »

Not hard to do...if I can do it, ANYBODY can... :oops: :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25689
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I thought the FP was the one you DIDN'T have to tap. Ask Hobie.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

El Chivo wrote:I thought the FP was the one you DIDN'T have to tap. Ask Hobie.

Depends on when you rifle it was built. They quit d&t'ing the receiver for side-mounts several years ago.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

FP-336 is mounted to the scope base holes and the FP-94/36 in the holes drilled and tapped in the side of the receiver, right? Of course, Marlin stopped D&T the side of the receivers like 10 years ago I believe.
Sigmar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Sigmar »

side eject if that makes any difference, nib just bought so new model. does have pre drilled top mount holes , just hope they are the same size as the screws provided with the sight. which loctight should i use ?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

FP-336 is the top mount Foolproof, FP-94/36 is the side-mount. All 336s after about 1952 are D&T. If yours hasn't got the two little 6-48 holes on the left side of the receiver then you need the FP-336. If you don't have the waffle-top 336 (so-called for the wavy matting on the top of the receiver) then your gun is probably D&T for the scope mount. I can't believe you didn't run to the safe and screw the sight on.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Most (but not all) 336s were drilled and tapped by the factory for that sight. Don't get the shanks until you have checked out the rifle. If it is not D&T it is not much of a job to do that. It does take a drill press though. I would not suggest folks do it with a hand held drill.
Sigmar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Sigmar »

Hobie wrote:FP-336 is the top mount Foolproof, FP-94/36 is the side-mount. All 336s after about 1952 are D&T. If yours hasn't got the two little 6-48 holes on the left side of the receiver then you need the FP-336. If you don't have the waffle-top 336 (so-called for the wavy matting on the top of the receiver) then your gun is probably D&T for the scope mount. I can't believe you didn't run to the safe and screw the sight on.
oh I'm waiting with rifle on couch to do just that. waiting for son to get home as he has the tools for our firearms locked up in his room. Just looks like the supplied screws are bigger, hope not.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sigmar wrote:Just looks like the supplied screws are bigger, hope not.
Unless something's really strange going on, they will fit; they do look too big vs. the 'filler' screws, though - I've been startled by that before.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sigmar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Sigmar »

k screws supplied worked and install is as simple as it gets. Now how do I remove the dovetailed? rear sight, looking down the barrel from the stock do I tap it out right to left or the other way ? I know I'm making this harder than it seems from my end, just want it to be right
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Tap the rear barrel sight out of it's dovetail slot so that it exits the barrel on the same side as the loading port (RH side).

Please don't leave an empty slot - either buy a commercial slot filler blank, or make one out of an old longleaf rear sight.

Here's the photo tutorial, on how to fashion your own from an old rear bbl sight:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=48096

Sigmar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Sigmar »

Pete44ru wrote:Tap the rear barrel sight out of it's dovetail slot so that it exits the barrel on the same side as the loading port (RH side).

Please don't leave an empty slot - either buy a commercial slot filler blank, or make one out of an old longleaf rear sight.

Here's the photo tutorial, on how to fashion your own from an old rear bbl sight:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=48096

thanks,,I'll do it with the old one

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Yes,left to right and fill that sight slot or you will cut he L out of yourself at the worst time. Come to think of it, there aint no good time to cut yourself. :?
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Sigmar wrote:k screws supplied worked and install is as simple as it gets. Now how do I remove the dovetailed? rear sight, looking down the barrel from the stock do I tap it out right to left or the other way ? I know I'm making this harder than it seems from my end, just want it to be right
With the sight at its lowest position and folded flat, there should be no need to remove it.