Ammo report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Ammo report

Post by sore shoulder »

Made a trip to Denver with a load of scrap metal. Did some spring cleaning and it felt good, got rid of some junk, made a few hundred bucks, and drove over some of the most picturesque mountains in the country. Colorado definitely has it's charm.

Anyway, stopped at Walmart for oil and whey protein. Checked the ammo case and...

12 boxes of .40, 3 boxes of Winchester .380 fmj fp, couple boxes of miscellaneous shot shells and that was IT. Bought a box of .380 to add to the pile.

Stopped at a local gun store on the way home, box of 550 Federal 22's...$125.

Decided I definitely need a .40 barrel for my G20.

Things are NOT getting any better.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ammo report

Post by TedH »

Same story here. I look at Bass Pro, Wally World and a local shop about once a week for 22 rimfires. Never any to be had. Your dealer is about a hundred bucks too high on his Federal bulk pack of 22's. :shock: I guess people are buying at those ridiculous prices though. Not this boy.
NRA Life Member
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Not any better here either. :(

I did score some .44-40 and .44 special brass and bullets today. Very little powder to be found in Tucson though.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Cheaper than Dirt in Allen,TX has the Remington .22lr 525 bullet boxes for $147.99 and they have a bunch of them. Why a retail establishment does not want to sell anything is making no sense to me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I guess all this lets us know what we could charge for 22 LR if things truly did get bad as in teotwawnki.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have HEARD (but don't know and can't yet confirm) that shipping regulations have been changed at this end and in Australia to limit shipping of powders to the US and within the US to distributors which has the effect of further slowing the flow of components.

We have not had a shipment of powder to our shop since DECEMBER 2012.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Stopped by one of the Small sporting goods nearby on Monday. was able to get 500 small rifle primers. They said they got a small shipment of winchester bulk .22's last week and sold them for $25.00 a box. the price to them was the same. They said it looked like things may start to "loosen" up soon.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

People (old fanny burbs mostly) are waiting at Wallyworld in the morning and buying up all they can get. You can try this site for ammo in stock at Walyworld, seems to be pretty accurate.
http://www.ammoloco.com/
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

wolfdog wrote:People are waiting at Wallyworld in the morning and buying up all they can get.

Same here.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Just stopped by a nearby Walmart for some super glue.

Just a couple boxes of shotgun shells, slugs and two boxes of.40s&w.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

2ndovc wrote:Just stopped by a nearby Walmart for some super glue.

Just a couple boxes of shotgun shells, slugs and two boxes of.40s&w.

jb 8)
I'm going to start buying .40, even though I don't have one. At worst I can trade it for something else later.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

sore shoulder wrote:I'm going to start buying .40, even though I don't have one. At worst I can trade it for something else later.
That is STRANGE if you think about it - one of the most common 'police' rounds, and it is still on the shelf. You'd think the 'authorities' were intentionally depleting the stuff the peasants use, instead of actually buying up all the 'police' rounds - otherwise we'd not see any 40's.

I don't have anything that shoots 40 S&W, as I figured 45 ACP is always better; dunno if I'm right about that, but I just have 45's.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

AJMD429 wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:I'm going to start buying .40, even though I don't have one. At worst I can trade it for something else later.
That is STRANGE if you think about it -
Not really. I think it's because it's the higher production round due to it's LE and civilian popularity.
11B30
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

sore shoulder wrote:Not really. I think it's because it's the higher production round due to it's LE and civilian popularity.
Aw, shucks - you take all the fun out of it; I'd already gotten out my tinfoil hat and black-helicopter detector... :(

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I also think there arent as many people with 40s compared to other calibers.

The one local shop has a fairly decent supply of most ammo, tho 9's and 22's have been hard to get. His prices are normal or close to it. He said his wholesale price has gone up, but not much.

Wal mart has been getting ammo in, it just goes out the door so fast most people dont see it. The price is normal. People that never used to buy quantities now are, and telling all their friends when they see it. I think there's a lot of ammo on the market, its just getting bought up. (you gotta buy it all up before the hoarders get it)
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Our local WallyWorld is almost totally bare...I'll bet they don't have a total of 10 boxes of everything....They say they have not seen ammo come in for ages...If they are making it, it ain't coming in here, unless (put on the tinfoil) they are keeping it in back for special people to buy at 0300hrs for a big tip....I say this because Cabela's seems to be getting more and more kinds in all the time.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

AJMD429 wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:Not really. I think it's because it's the higher production round due to it's LE and civilian popularity.
Aw, shucks - you take all the fun out of it; I'd already gotten out my tinfoil hat and black-helicopter detector... :(
I'm sure we could come up with something. :lol:
11B30
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

BlaineG wrote:Our local WallyWorld is almost totally bare...I'll bet they don't have a total of 10 boxes of everything....They say they have not seen ammo come in for ages...If they are making it, it ain't coming in here, unless (put on the tinfoil) they are keeping it in back for special people to buy at 0300hrs for a big tip....I say this because Cabela's seems to be getting more and more kinds in all the time.....

This is absolutely not true! If your walmart is open 24 hours you will see lots of people come in at night to buy ammo. When the rest of the people come in during the day, the ammo is long gone. We sell almost all of our ammo during the night but NOT at a big tip... regular price and 3 boxes per customer.

show up at 8 am and you are simply to late...
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

wilko wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Our local WallyWorld is almost totally bare...I'll bet they don't have a total of 10 boxes of everything....They say they have not seen ammo come in for ages...If they are making it, it ain't coming in here, unless (put on the tinfoil) they are keeping it in back for special people to buy at 0300hrs for a big tip....I say this because Cabela's seems to be getting more and more kinds in all the time.....

This is absolutely not true! If your walmart is open 24 hours you will see lots of people come in at night to buy ammo. When the rest of the people come in during the day, the ammo is long gone. We sell almost all of our ammo during the night but NOT at a big tip... regular price and 3 boxes per customer.

The Tips are either true, or, someone at the gun show was telling lies :wink: He had plenty of WallyWorld 525 boxes @ 100 bucks per :wink: Not saying they all do that, but, why would the clerks say they never get any?
They don't say what time to get there....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

What is amazing about all this is how oblivious the non-gun public is to what is an extreme market distortion. if it were anything other than firearms it would be front page news.

wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

BlaineG wrote:
wilko wrote:

The Tips are either true, or, someone at the gun show was telling lies :wink: He had plenty of WallyWorld 525 boxes @ 100 bucks per :wink: Not saying they all do that, but, why would the clerks say they never get any?
They don't say what time to get there....

They probably didnt get any quite a while.. :) same here.. .22 ammo and 9mm is almost non existent it seems... there are regular (small) shipments of .40 sw, .38 special, some .45 and lots of tula 223 and 7.62x39. Almost all handgun ammo is sold out by the morning and the sales clerk will never see it by the time he comes in. (ask the clerk to look up the ammo that comes in on their pre-notification reports)

"a big tip" will surely lead to termination.. don't believe the nonsense the hoarder is telling you. Off to work now :)
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

The guy at our Wally World said thats just the way it is.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

I was at an off the beat and path gunsmith's shop earlier this week. (I took in a Model 70 Super Grade for repair and he called first thing the next morning to say it was fixed and ready to pick up. That's small town service!). I was surprised to see his litle shop very well stocked with a large selection of new ammo in just about any caliber...even exotic and dangerous game calibers...you could possibly want, except 9mm. I hadnt seen an ammo selection like that in a long time. More amazing his ammo was priced in the calibers I buy generally comparable to or better than WalMart. I bought Remington .222 for $3 LESS than Walmart and Winchester 30-30 for a couple dollars less. Another neighbor in a small town not price gouging. I met a great guy doing business fairly and found a local gunsmith literally hidden in the woods without a sign!
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

mod71alaska wrote:I was at an off the beat and path gunsmith's shop earlier this week. (I took in a Model 70 Super Grade for repair and he called first thing the next morning to say it was fixed and ready to pick up. That's small town service!). I was surprised to see his litle shop very well stocked with a large selection of new ammo in just about any caliber...even exotic and dangerous game calibers...you could possibly want, except 9mm. I hadnt seen an ammo selection like that in a long time. More amazing his ammo was priced in the calibers I buy generally comparable to or better than WalMart. I bought Remington .222 for $3 LESS than Walmart and Winchester 30-30 for a couple dollars less. Another neighbor in a small town not price gouging. I met a great guy doing business fairly and found a local gunsmith literally hidden in the woods without a sign!

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) I can't add any more....... :)

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

The Cabela's in Allen, TX had a bunch of .223 and 7.62x39 on Saturday morning. Today they had zero left. They had plenty of everything except for .22 lr, .223 and 7.62x39. Their bullet selection was pretty picked over. They have some brass, not much powder, no primers.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

wilko wrote:

Local Wallmart here is open 24 hours, but only sells ammo from 8 am to 8 pm.