Are You Shooting Less?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Are You Shooting Less?

Post by Blaine »

What if there is an Obama plan to keep ammo in very short supply? I suppose that one reason I don't get out shooting much is that I'm not sure I can replace what I've gathered up over the years....Most non-gunners would say I have an arsenal, but, I just think I have the bare minimum for an extended emergency....I'm guessing that unless I have a rich uncle I don't know about, my purse strings are going to stay tight, and I don't want to get caught short. Shooting "stuff" could well equal food and TP later on....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Re: Are You Shooting Less?

Post by stew71 »

Overall, yes. I haven't been doing as much shooting as I used to. But that's due to other interests. The Mrs and I have been doing more camping, traveling, hunting, fishing, etc. We also have more home remodeling projects that have been eating up the weekends. I just don't have as much spare time to devote to the range anymore. I need to retire early...

As far as the ammo shortage is concerned, I've had to ration my use of 45LC and 6.5x55 Swede due to powder availability. I can find factory stuff but it's flippin' pricey. Right now, it's the powder shortage that concerns me.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Yes, since I moved to IL my shooting has dwindled down to nothing.

I suspect that is the plan. No ammo = no shooting.

Here's a link to an article about it:
{ http://www.examiner.com/article/house-o ... -purchases }
It's a follow up on an article from the weekend where the .gov has admitted causing the ammo shortage.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Answer to post title question.
Yes, much less.
But not so much to do with the current ammo. issues.
I believe it has more to do with my change in interests.
My resent interest in crossbows provides me the convenience of backyard shooting.
I've also gotten into throwing horseshoes, I'm also able to do this in my backyard.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yes, but not because of the ammo thing; but it is in the back of my mind.
I am looking forward to a return to normal, so I can augment where I feel vunerable.
Others would say I have too much.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:Yes, but not because of the ammo thing; but it is in the back of my mind.
I am looking forward to a return to normal, so I can augment where I feel vunerable.
Others would say I have too much.
It's funny (well, not really) that some families that prepare with months of food, would scoff and recoil at the idea of shooting supplies being stocked up for use, protection, and trade. In times of extended emergency, one goon with a gun will take their food supply, and likely leave them dead (or in a stew pot)...

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I have been shooting less since I moved to Honolulu County (Oahu island) back in late 2007 from Maui. I believe I have gone to the range a total of 3 times in over 5 years. The range is far away, it is open just 4 hours, it's overcrowded. I miss Maui and setting up my own range just minutes away from my home with deer, goat, and pig hunting just minutes away too. I wish I could blame the Obamanation for my situation but I honestly can't.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yes I am shooting for less partly due to not wanting to deplete my working supply but also the economy is so rocky my income is very spotty and I am currently more likely to be selling things for gas money then buying new things. I have at least gotten out some of my old toys when deciding what to sell and started shooting with them a little bit. Plus the suppressor I started paperwork on almost a year ago and paid for back then just arrived so that gives me something to do that feels "new" even though it's not. 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

No. I'm shooting as much as usual, with the exception of 22 rimfires. 90% of my shooting is my own cast bullets, and handloaded everything.
NRA Life Member
zzr7ky
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zzr7ky »

No -

I shoot as much and often.

However: I'm known to be pretty generous with friends and children. The air rifles, muzzle loaders, and Bearcat are getting more use ; ) The semi auto's a bit less use.

ATB,
Mike P
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

zzr7ky wrote:The air rifles, muzzle loaders, and Bearcat are getting more use ; )
I have seriously thought about a 357 Air Rifle - I wonder if you could shoot saboted projectiles in them...??? (That would even further increase 'survival' potential, as sabots are far cheaper and easier to stock up on than bullets).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Mescalero wrote:1) Yes, but not because of the ammo thing; but it is in the back of my mind.

2) I am looking forward to a return to normal, so I can augment where I feel vulnerable.

3) Others would say I have too much.
Exactly "ditto" to all three.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've been shooting less , but mainly because I've been to lazy to go to the range ! My component supply is in decent shape , but with the lack of stuff for us to get from distributors it does make me step back and think a bit ! The only way that S...O...B can shut me down is with primers ! I have a goodly supply of powder I can use in my 444's and still about half a ton of lead for casting . My large rifle primer stock is down to a few hundred over 5,000 and about 4,500 magnum large rifle . So I "should" be in good shape for a year or two . But then one never knows how long that M...F...'er will keep it up !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

AJMD429 wrote:
zzr7ky wrote:The air rifles, muzzle loaders, and Bearcat are getting more use ; )
I have seriously thought about a 357 Air Rifle - I wonder if you could shoot saboted projectiles in them...??? (That would even further increase 'survival' potential, as sabots are far cheaper and easier to stock up on than bullets).
The new Crosman .357 air rifle looks like a friggen HOOT. I'm not sure what kind of ammo it uses though. A mold to make the projectiles for it would be a dang neat idea...... :idea:
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

No, I'm shooting as much as normal at the moment and replenishing stuff as and when I can.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I spent some heavy bucks last summer bringing my stash up to speed last summer when Romney won the nomination. I have enough to continue shooting at my normal rate for 2-3 years. You can bet I will replenish as soon as the prices and availability come down to sane levels.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

AJMD429 wrote:Yes I am shooting for less partly due to not wanting to deplete my working supply but also the economy is so rocky my income is very spotty and I am currently more likely to be selling things for gas money then buying new things. . 8)

For me , this is somewhat the case ---- i dont want to deplete what i have unless it is something i already have tons of . For instance, i have thousands of loaded rounds of FMJ 55 grain 5.56- typical AR15/mini 14 type plinking fodder ---- problem is, i'm somewhat bored shooting and messing with my AR's now. I'd rather plink with my Win 94 pistol caliber carbines truthfully, or shoot my 1911's more -- but my supplies of that are dwindling down to the bare essentials

The economy is rocky enough that i have to work more it seems to realize the same net income i enjoyed a few years ago, -- my gross income has not really gone down, but i am paying much more for other things -- and those extra hours working mean less recreational time across the board, --- so if its a beautiful sunny day with nice temps , i'm more likely to be on my mountain bike or trail motorcycle most likely --- or on my tractor tending to my place now as we are knee deep into lawn season
bottom line is i still enjoy the thrill of a new aquisition occasionally, but rarely get time to stay proficient with what i have ----
----- Doug
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Nope....holding back more than usual Blaine. I shot the Bearcat almost a month ago. It was so cold that I literally started to freeze my fingers and could not shoot anymore after a couple of cylinders. The last time I shot for real was in preparation for our Texas Hog Hunt last fall. :oops:
Last edited by C. Cash on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Only because of the howling gale that is springtime in NM :lol: :lol: :lol:
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

skeet shoot'n is all i am doing now....
use to go every weekend...but with this stink'n economy
i had to cut back

thinking about an air rifle...for backyard fun
Gamo whisper....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

olyinaz wrote:
Mescalero wrote:1) Yes, but not because of the ammo thing; but it is in the back of my mind.

2) I am looking forward to a return to normal, so I can augment where I feel vulnerable.

3) Others would say I have too much.
Exactly "ditto" to all three.
It goes in spurts for me. I'll go a few months without shooting anything, and then I'll be able to shoow a few weekends in a row. Hard to track if it's really less, or more!

However, when I set about loading ammo, looking at the depleting supplies of both powder and primers... I tell myself to be more conscious of how much shooting I am going to do. Whereas after a match in the past, I might shoot another 10-50 rounds for practice, or testing a new load... now I'm far less likely to. Pack up the guns and go home... no extra shooting.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Yes I have been shooting less, but its as much to do with how busy I have been at work as ammo/component price/availablity.
Concho
Levergunner

Post by Concho »

I started stocking up after the 08 election. I have alot on hand,
powder, primers, cases & bullets. I am sitting on what i have until
I see what the new normal is going to be.

The ammo shortage and high prices is largely due to "panic buying".
I have read reports of the DHS using standing contracts with ammo
companies to perpetuate the shortage. I don't know if this is true
or not, but I believe what I read to be credible.

Whatever the case, I'll feel better when gun control is on the back
burner.
loose your temper, and you loose a friend, lie and you loose yourself.
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

nope i got plenty.... but the "shortage" has got me looking at alternatives like x-bows and air rifles
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Yes, cutting back to just training others, minimum qualification requirements, 22s, and Cap and Ball saving most of the rest until it starts flowing again or I start using the Government's again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Due to CAS, I am shooting more than ever.
Also since my collection has grown I am loading/casting more lately.
I am going shooting tomorrow. I have a new Ruger Super Red Hawk to try out. :D
I wonder how long it takes to shoot up 9 lb. of IMR4227 in a .44mag and .45 Colt using 325+ gr. bullets?? Maybe I will find out in a few years. :wink:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Been shooting pellet rifle and shotgun as well as ccw. I definitely won't be shooting down my supply of other ammo though I did burn 15 rounds of 32WCF on Tuesday.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

If this B...S with availability of components stays around much longer I have the perfect excuse to get the Barnett 410 FPS crossbow !

No need worry about background checks , ammo or components !

http://www.barnettcrossbows.com/product ... t-410-2013
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

With my fixed income and the shortage of ammo and components, I only been shooting when something needs shot. I've got enough ammo to see me through for a while if I don't go crazy with it, but I will admit to a certain embarrassment in my 357 Mag supply.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Ive been shooting less, but mostly cuz of the wind,
im fine on components, but will buy if price is good or fair, at a gun show last Sat.
I got 300 130gr.270cal. rem. bullets for 60 bucks, couldnt let that get away
95% or more of my shooting is with my cast bullets, so I shoot as cheap as I can

ollogger
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Shooting at even double pre-Obummer reelection volume, I am good for another 40 years or so.

So, basically I'm set for the rest of my life :D
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Not yet, but starting to consider it.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Nope, shooting more in this neck of the woods. Got grandkids shooting and now some great-grandkids think they need to shoot. Good thing I laid in bunches of 22 rimfire over the past decade. And we do a lot of training with the pellet guns -- got a little pellet pistol still unopened that got delivered today that will hopefully help with "gpa's introduction to pistol shootin" class. And I personally have more neat guns than I ever imagined possessing -- they have to be shot to keep 'em from feeling neglected, you know.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

22 LR today at one store $150.00 a brick. Incredible. Can't imagine they are selling any of it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Paladin wrote:Yes, cutting back to just training others, minimum qualification requirements, 22s, and Cap and Ball saving most of the rest until it starts flowing again or I start using the Government's again.

You've likely already fired enough rounds downrange in your lifetime to equal several of us though , so taking a short sabbatical is no prob huh? :wink:
----- Doug
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Which one is Less, and why should I shoot him?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Actually I'm shooting more often now than the last two years, I'm augmenting my weekly indoor range visit with silhouette. Mostly this has to do with the time to reload, and secondarily, time and energy to get up early and make the matches. If I sleep in, I don't go. I slept in for the last year.

I have a lot of bullets I would like to shoot up, and some testing to do. I have primers, but am somewhat limited on the powder.

I did dust off the Gamo Silent Cat and found why it wasn't accurate - the scope wasn't holding zero. With iron sights it's fine. I may try to rig up a peep, but the rear peep would be on one side of the break barrel and the front sight on the other. Would it matter? Dunno.

I may do more shooting with it at the range, because I have a good supply of pellets. However I find the spring annoying. That's quite a whack; enough to get your eyeballs vibrating. I prefer the Benjamin Sheridan with its soft kick. I will probably take it hunting this year; it's my #1 life taker.

As far as my weekly range visit, I am trying to keep it short. Maybe 15 rounds instead of 50. I may start taking the airguns, if I run out of 22lr. I have about 900 rounds left.

If it came down to it, I would be happy enough with airguns.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

piller wrote:Which one is Less, and why should I shoot him?
LesMooreGrave.jpg
Well, somebody did...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

6pt-sika wrote:If this B...S with availability of components stays around much longer I have the perfect excuse to get the Barnett 410 FPS crossbow !

No need worry about background checks , ammo or components !

http://www.barnettcrossbows.com/product ... t-410-2013

Go X-Cal. 6, the only thing you'll have to replace is the string.
No wheels, cams, cables to maintain.
"Recurve Simply Perfect" :wink:

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

In terms in just actual overall number of total shots per week----(am actually shooting more)
In terms of number of shots per week with most my guns that require gun powder to propel the projectile-----(shooting less)

Air Rifles are becoming(and will become even more)--------------the new way of the future------ for target shooting/varmit control out to reasonable distances.

I suspect the various manufactures know this------and you will be seeing air guns become even more technologically advanced.

Think they are a toy ????????????? Watch last few minutes on video below from minute marker 6:30 to 8:30 ???????
80 or 100 or 130 yd (shots made) ????-----------------------------------------what does the man do and say!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=280VfL6BIFA

The PCP rifles are incredible----as are the Nitro Gas Piston ones like the Hatsan 125 sniper or the Benjamin Trail NP XL(have em both)
(just something cool about shooting all day long----500 shots per $8.95 and when shooting ------its quiet!

How can one beat sitting in the dining room (got the TV show "Shooting USA" going on the tube) drinking a nice hot cup of java,while you are shooting some things out your crank open thermopane windows--------------yep, and all while having a nice conversation with the little wifey as she is sitting in the dining room beside you ???????????????? Priceless------------- :lol: :D :mrgreen:

New meaning to having the better half loving guns and liking you to (go shooting) :wink: JMHO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmsKDtCj2rk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJbsw1_KKCg
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

This thread did remind me to order the aftermarket trigger for the airgun.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I guess I should admit to making one concession toward limited components and high costs.

Bought a '94 NRA Centennial .30-30 a few weeks ago and only have/had one single .30 cal mould, the 311041 which takes gas checks. Since I only have a few thousand .30 cal GC's I had to make a decision. Do I buy more GC's for $50+ per thousand or do I buy a PB mould? I went with the 150gr RCBS cowboy PB mould and now get to spend a few weeks casting and testing all sorts of combo's in order to come up with 'about' a 1400fps load though admittedly I am more interested in pure accuracy than any sort of specific velocity. 1200-1500 would be fine with me as long as it doesn't lead the barrel and will stay close to 1" at 50 yards :wink:
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

BlaineG wrote:What if there is an Obama plan to keep ammo in very short supply? I suppose that one reason I don't get out shooting much is that I'm not sure I can replace what I've gathered up over the years....Most non-gunners would say I have an arsenal, but, I just think I have the bare minimum for an extended emergency....I'm guessing that unless I have a rich uncle I don't know about, my purse strings are going to stay tight, and I don't want to get caught short. Shooting "stuff" could well equal food and TP later on....

:lol: Buy TP everytime you go to the store and pretty soon you'll have a good stock pile.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

And yes I shoot less cause of the ammo shortage.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Blackhawk wrote: :lol: Buy TP everytime you go to the store and pretty soon you'll have a good stock pile.
Yep. If you just buy a 6 roll package everytime you will buy it faster than you use it. Unless you have a wife and teenage daughters. :lol:

The same principle can be applied to other items. I used to apply it to .22's at Wallyworld.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

sore shoulder wrote:
Blackhawk wrote: :lol: Buy TP everytime you go to the store and pretty soon you'll have a good stock pile.
Yep. If you just buy a 6 roll package everytime you will buy it faster than you use it. Unless you have a wife and teenage daughters. :lol:

The same principle can be applied to other items. I used to apply it to .22's at Wallyworld.
Frank,

I'm with you. My kids go thru it quick.

Been a while since we last spoke. You were considering going into service then. I see you're a 11B30, are you a master/first sergent?

Johnny

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Blackhawk wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:

Frank,

Been a while since we last spoke. You were considering going into service then. I see you're a 11B30, are you a master/first sergent?

Johnny
If it's been since I was thinking about it, it's been a long time. :lol: Was that here or elswhere?

11B30 is Staff Sergeant
11B30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Seems I neglected to stock up on ALL the different bullets....copper plated .45acp, for example. After I go through my 1200 or so factory fmj, I'm out...hope they come back into availability, as I'd really like to get some practice in on my .45s.... :oops: :oops:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

sore shoulder wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:

Frank,

Johnny
If it's been since I was thinking about it, it's been a long time. :lol: Was that here or elswhere?

11B30 is Staff Sergeant
Either here or the Marlin place. Hey didn't Jayco start his own page?

Johnny