Dehydrator and Recipes Info Nedded Please.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Dehydrator and Recipes Info Nedded Please.

Post by Blackhawk »

Thinking about getting a dehydrator for meats. Anyone got suggestions and recipes to share?

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Dehydrator and Recipes Info Nedded Please.

Post by Mescalero »

I like to do beef jerky soaked in Claudes BBQ sauce.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Thank you. What brand of dehydrator do you use?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Ive got a couple cant remember the names but they have a blower and heater they are plastic and have 8-10 round trays that stack. meat takes a heater if you dont use heat you have to freeze after as it will mold, for my elk and beef jerky I slice the meat while semi frozen about 1/4 to 3/8 thick and soak over nite in a teriaki sauce in a freezer bag in the refrig it will take a min of 8 hrs up to 24 hrs depending on thickness and outside humidity also the racks closest to the fan base will get done sooner and need to be rotated I know when its done when the jerky breaks when I bend it if you want to store in the freezer you can pull it sooner for a less dry meat. I also smoke mine in a smoker too takes 12 hrs on a cool smoke 150 to 160* in the dehydrator you can add liquid smoke to the meat for the smoke flavor. danny
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've got a Nesco dehydrator and I love it. It's got adjustable temperature control and a fan to greatly speed up drying. I can do 5 trays of jerky in about 3 hours. As far as jerky spice, I really like Nesco's seasonings too. They have several different flavors, but their original jerky seasoning is the best. It's hard to find locally, but sometimes Wally world has it. I usually just buy it by the case from them direct, online.
NRA Life Member
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Thank you gentlmen. I've given serious thoughts to making a teepee with poles, put shelf of chicken wire in it throwing a tarp around it and smoking with hickory. Got plenty around the place.

Johnny

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

do it.
flyfisher66048
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flyfisher66048 »

I think the best dehydrators are the Excalibur brand. I have the 9 tray version with out the timer.

Here are a few sites with Recipes and how to videos

http://www.dehydrate2store.com/

http://www.backpackingchef.com/
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Outstanding information. Thank yall very much.

I just got a vaccum sealer for Christmas. I think the dehydrator will be an outstanding partner.

Johnny

geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

flyfisher66048 wrote:I think the best dehydrators are the Excalibur brand. I have the 9 tray version with out the timer.

Here are a few sites with Recipes and how to videos

http://www.dehydrate2store.com/

http://www.backpackingchef.com/

+1 on the Excaliber brand. They have the adjustable temperature and do a great job. Thirty years ago we bought a dehydrator. My wife wanted an Excaliber, but we bought something else for a few dollars less that we thought was comparable, but didn't have the adjustable temp control. We stopped using it after a few years. Last year, my wife bought the Excaliber and has dried all kinds of stuff. Like any tool, get something that is good so that it will do the job when you want to do it.