New guy question about scope mounting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jack Brown
Levergunner

New guy question about scope mounting

Post by Jack Brown »

First post here. :)

Up to this point, most of my shooting has been with bolt action varmint/benchrest type rifles.

Something has gotten me interested in leverguns. I am contemplating finding something in 357. Has the advantage of sharing 38 specials with the revolver in the safe.

But, and here is where the total and complete heresy comes in, I'm not keen on open sights. I am much more interested in putting a reflex sight on it. Possibly something along the lines of a Trijicon RMR.

My question for the forum mind is: what brands/makes are easier to mount optics on?

Thanks.
North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Re: New guy question about scope mounting

Post by North Country Gal »

Traditionally, that has always been Marlin. Other brands will vary, as to which model and vintage of model do or don't. Short of some pre 1950 Marlins, though, you should be good to go with any Marlin lever.

One of the things you will discover, though, with lever guns is that they are typically stocked for use with iron sights - in other words, fairly low in the comb, though Marlin has made some editions with a higher comb Monte Carlo, specifically for scope use. Coming from bolt guns, the fact you may not be able to get the same degree of cheek weld may seem a bit weird. If so, you can always add an aftermarket cheek pad to the stock. Me, I just grin and bear it. Not that bad, especially with a red dot where you don't have the issue of a large bell that requires the scope to be mounted up, higher.

As to red dots, I love using Ultradots on my lever guns. Nothing quicker when it comes to target acquisition and definitely easier to see than iron.
North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by North Country Gal »

Where are my manners? Welcome to the forum, first and foremost!
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

Welcome to the fire!
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Welcome to the Forum, Jack! Where you from? I don't use scopes on my levers, but many do and you'll get some good advice here as you already have from our favorite northern WI gal. Hope you'll stick around and continue to participate. OK now, you've been warned...posting pics is a must if you want to avoid the "wrath" that comes with not!

What do you shoot for varmint bolt actions?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to THE Forum! There'll some fellers that have tose types of setup along in a while to extoll the virtues of "theirs"! Hope you get over the stigma of your heresy! :P I can't, so only ONE of my leverguns wears a scope... and 33 years later, it's still the last one I take out of the safe when headed to the range; even when I tell myself I need to check its zero! :lol: :lol: :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Yes, Marlins are usually easier to mount a scope on having predrilled and tapped receivers usually. Just mount a rail and you are off!., and of course Savage 99s, and things like that.

Since Winchesters and there related reproductions eject through the top, its hard to mount a scope. I have seen some barrel mounted scopes, and you could probably mount a reflex sight on the front of the receiver, it is small enough.

Its only heresy for the cowboy action crowd in competition, but for your own pleasure and hunting, have at it! I use a side receiver mount on my Rossi 92 357 when I need to get really accurate testing for new loads.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Welcome! and the answer is Marlin. :D
Jack Brown
Levergunner

Post by Jack Brown »

@North Country Gal: Yeah, definitely thinking red dot type scope. Especially with looking at the pistol caliber, it'd be a shorter range rig. I'll have to look into Ultradots, too.

@mod71alaska: I live in Renton, WA. Just outside Seattle. Posting pics of what...?

@Griff: Oh, I don't have to get over my heresy; I revel in it. :D

@ FatJackDurham: I didn't even know Savage made a lever action. Not the part of their catalog I typically peruse. :o

@Chuck 100 yd: Okay more Marlin. I'm seeing a bit of a pattern here.

On the subject of Marlins, how bad are the Remington Marlins? I haven't heard anything good about them as of yet.

Thanks for the welcomes!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome (I'm retired & sleep in ;) )................... :mrgreen:

While the flat-topped/side-ejecting Marlins are the easiest - they're not the onlyiest.

Besides the long-discontinued Sagave 99 levergun, most of the top-ejecting leverguns, like Winchester Model 1892/92's, 1894/94, 1895/95's, & 1886/86 (and their Japanese, Italian or South American clones) can easily have a small red dot/reflex sight added via D/T'ing the rear half of the bolt top for a small Weaver scope mount base (usually one of the 2-piece base sets), one of which can be found with a bottom contour to match the contour of whatever bolt top (most have a slight convexivity, the M1895/95's are dead flat).

I've done so with leverguns ranging from a .375 Win BigBore94, to a Winchester/Miroku .405 Model 1895.

(FWIW, There's LOTS of enablers here......... :roll: )

mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Posting pics of what...?

Your rifles, of course! Or your range trips, hunting trips, trophies taken, fishing...anything you're posting about!
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

mod71alaska wrote:Posting pics of what...?

Your rifles, of course! Or your range trips, hunting trips, trophies taken, fishing...anything you're posting about!

You see, we are a visual lot here...
If ya can't touch em, ya gotta see em. :P

Welcome to the fire.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I couldn't bring myself to scope my '92 (I believe it would be either a side mount or "scout" mount), but I wanted at least a chance at hitting what I was aimin' at (old eyes using tri-focals) so I installed receiver sights; Williams Foolproof. Works pretty good and my '92 doesn't have a carry handle...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Jack Brown wrote:But, and here is where the total and complete heresy comes in, I'm not keen on open sights. I am much more interested in putting a reflex sight on it. Possibly something along the lines of a Trijicon RMR.
My most-used rifle on our small farm and for woods-walking and for just plinking is probably my Marlin Night Scout, with the Rossi version not far behind...

The 290-lumen or whatever flashlights are optional, but from a PRACTICAL perspective, have enabled us to deal with barnyard pests at night far better than the various 'Night Vision' AR-15's and such I've tried, and are easily removed for more compact daytime use.

Here's a couple threads of interest (first one links to the three 'Night Scout' projects guns I made, and second one compares the holographic sights I looked at):
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "