1861 Contract Muskets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

1861 Contract Muskets

Post by 6pt-sika »

My 1864 Wm Mason 1861 contract musket and the remains of the 1861 Trenton contract musket !

Markings on the barrel of the Trenton gun . I have a complete original Trenton at home in the back of the safe but I'm not overly joyed about digging it out at the moment . The Wm Mason , the Zouave and a pair of Mississippi's were close to the front so the Wm Mason got the nod for possible shooting !

Plus it's probably the worst of the bunch .

Whats left of the Trenton would make a wonderfull hunting gun provided I can get it to shoot well enough inside 75 yards . We'll see what happens with it at a later date I think !

Incidently I was given a barrel over the phone yesterday . The person that was giving it thought it to be a 58 cal rifled barrel from an 1861 or 1863 and it turned out to be a smoothbore 69 cal . So that one does me no good .

Did however have the local #1 collector of Civil War stuff come in a few minutes ago and he agreed to lend me a 58 cal mini bullet mold and a nipple wrench .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1861 Contract Muskets

Post by 6pt-sika »

I'll see over the next month or so if I can get this Wm Mason to shoot well enough so I can hopefully pop a deer with it this coming hunting season !
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Love this old stuff! Thanks for showing it off.

Passed on a 1862 Colt contract last month...shouldn't have.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Well THAT looks like a perfectly addicting area of our hobby! :lol:

I'm especially interested to hear if you can get her to shoot well. Good stuff!
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Old Time Hunter wrote:Love this old stuff! Thanks for showing it off.

Passed on a 1862 Colt contract last month...shouldn't have.
We have an original Colt in the back of the safe we've had for atleast 20 years . My pop bought a guys collection and the Colt was the only musket he had . It looks like it's almost new to be honest . I'd hesitate to shoot the Colt . But that Wm Mason I do not think I'll hurt it shooting it , well atleast hurt the collector value that is .

I'm thinking I'd like to get the Wm Mason going as well as one of the Mississippi's and possibly our 1842 Harpers Ferry 69 cal !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

olyinaz wrote:Well THAT looks like a perfectly addicting area of our hobby! :lol:

I'm especially interested to hear if you can get her to shoot well. Good stuff!
You know we've probably had atleast one or two 1861 contract muskets for well over 30 years . And last week was the first time I ever considered firing any of them . If it hadn't been for the chopped up Trenton that came in the shop I most likely woulda never thought of doing it .
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Those are interesting and very much unappreciated guns from our past. While they have never infactuated me, my buddy must have a dozen of them on his wall, including a like new Remington Zouave, (or however that is spelled) a Colt, mess of different contact 1861's. As I write this, Targetmaster has a 1861 Springfield with documentation starting from the Civil War where the original soldier had it in Fort Mifflin? in Delaware and it stayed in his family until Tommy got it. All for like $995.

If I was gonna play with one, I would pick out the one that had the nicest bore condition. Looking at that huge mini, I bet it has some good "whoomp" power.----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote:Those are interesting and very much unappreciated guns from our past. While they have never infactuated me, my buddy must have a dozen of them on his wall, including a like new Remington Zouave, (or however that is spelled) a Colt, mess of different contact 1861's. As I write this, Targetmaster has a 1861 Springfield with documentation starting from the Civil War where the original soldier had it in Fort Mifflin? in Delaware and it stayed in his family until Tommy got it. All for like $995.

If I was gonna play with one, I would pick out the one that had the nicest bore condition. Looking at that huge mini, I bet it has some good "whoomp" power.----------Sixgun
The Wm Mason has a very nice bore although the lock and around the nipple area on the barrel looks as if it saw better days .

I'm more skeptical about shooting the ones that look really good on the outside . We have a number of the 1861/1863 contract muskets , a few Haprepers Ferry pre Model 1861 guns , a couple contract Mississippi's and a Zouave like your friend .My friend here in town thats the Civil War NUT claims Zouave's were never issued during the war . Seems to me I may have read that somewhere as well , but on the other hand it doesn't bother me as the gun was made during that time period .

As to the power end of the thing , I am thinking a 450-525 grain mini bullet at 25-75 yards uoghtta flatten a whitetail as long as I hit it in the boiler room . So if I can get the things to keep 3 shots in 2" at 50 yards I oughtta be in pretty decent shape . Heck this past year when I popped a buck the first morning of the VA ML season I shot the buck at the really long yardage of 12 yards I think LOL's ! At that stand I can't get a shot over 65 yards anyway , so this thing oughtta be fine if I can get it to shoot semi well .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

If you get bored anytime soon I'd like to see some pics of the one your buddy at TargetMaster has !

A pic of the entire rifle and another of the lockplate would be cool if you were so inclined LOL's !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I'd really love to have a 1862 Richmond musket , a Fayettville and a 1842 Palmetto . But ain't no way hommie is gonna lay down the smack any of those cost especially if they are right and proved to be so .

I think a good Richmond thats on the up and up is gonna be about $8500 now , Fayettville maybe a few bucks more and a Palmetto is probably in the $4000-5000 range .

But then I'd like a couple versions of the original flintlock Virginia Manufactory musket that was made from 1802-1824 or so . Any of those that can be proved to have never been converted to percussion and back to flint are in the $3500-4500 range !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Not an 1861 but this one has been in my family since the Civil War.

It's an Ohio Regiment marked Harper's Ferry percussion conversion. Given to my father by my mother's father
that got it from his father.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"