Chronograph education, please?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Chronograph education, please?

Post by Canuck Bob »

A quick search of chronograph and chrony turned up little.

i suspect one is in my near future and I could use all the advice or horror stories I can get!

First, how common is shooting your own chronograph? I thought the screens were remote to the electronics?
It seems the brands easy to get in Canada are RCBS, CED, Pact, and Shooting Chrony ( very available). Any recommendations or advice on use. I plan to use it on make shift ranges out in the Rockies.

The unit must be reliable for airgun velocities as low as 400 fps.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Chronograph education, please?

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Never came close to it. Jus keep in mind at close range your scope or iron sights will be from 1-2 inches lower than it hits at 25 yards. Tho I did rip my sleeping open when the muzzle of my 223 slid back a bit to far. I try to keep my sight picture halfway up the holder rods.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

If the scope/sights are lined up 4" above the top of the frame, you should be in good shape. Where guys err is thinking that just because they can see the target the bullet will clear. A bit of tape 4" up on the rods is a good reminder of where you are relative to the frame. Oh and if you hit the rod, you break the sensor that it is plugged into.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If I can get photobucket to post, I'll post some pics....

I guess the 'NEW' photobucket is somewhat chincy as to pixels... :(

THIS is what happened when my son's 4-H project (ballistics of different 22 LR loads vs. barrel length) was done and he shot 'low' with a North American Arms 22 LR (admittedly hard to 'aim' with)...

Thankfully, he just hit the wooden base I mount my Chrony on. A higher-pixel photo would show the bullet hit the base just below the steel on the Chrony.

HERE is the steel-sheet I made to protect the electronics...

Easy to make - this was a 6"x18" or so chunk of 1/2" steel, able at that angle to deflect even high-power ammo, and at least protect the chronograph.

PLUS - it is mounted to a '2x6' board that the Chrony is mounted to, so it is all ready for action...

As far as the 'chronograph' part itself - they all use the same basic electronics and principle, and near as I can tell, the only real difference is the 'interface'. If you want a LCD scrren with graphs and statistical analysis, spend LOTS of money, but if you just want the plain-old 'velocity' in FPS, spend very little. The latter option means you will have to spend extra money on pencil-and-paper to write down those accurate FPS numbers, and take them home to analyze.

I use the 'Beta Chrony' and have no problems with it. I do the 'analysis' at home with computer or calculator.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ironwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ironwood »

I don't know about the other chronographs, but I shot my recurved bow over my Pact Model One. It would measure arrow flight as low as 190 fps.
Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I use a Pact Pro. It has been very good and has given ZERO problems other than the occasional
battery replacement. If you shoot it , it is junk. Don`t shoot them!
Mine has a ding in one of the defuser supports due to a gas check that came off a bullet.
Very accurate and valuable tool for the reloader. :wink:
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

I have had my shooting chrony for 13 years and it's been pretty reliable. I did shoot it the first year I got it, the metal rod that holds the diffuser, craked the front sensor after that I switched to wooden dowels.

Mainehunter :wink:
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

If you use the Chrony, its a good idea toput the diffusers on softer mounts. Ive been using bamboo skewers, a pack is about a buck. If you hit the wood you don't kill the sensors, like you might if you shot the wire supports. A little tape as suggested to raise the bullet path is a good idea. If you use a muzzle loader or shotgun, make a metal or plywood protector plate to catch patches or sabots.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Bob, I use long soda straws in place of the metal rods as thats what gets whacked more often than not, you will find that is more of a problem than putting a round thru the display. depending on the sun/clouds and if needed I use masking tape from straw top to ST. my crony doesnt get loaned out unless Iam along. danny
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have found the Chrony works fine but have not tried it to 400 fps.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I like my Shooting Chrony and it will measure the MV of a Daisy, 325 FPS. My first shot over the Chrony hit the unit dead in the middle of the box as I forgot to allow for the difference between the line of sight and the bore elevation. Luckily I was shooting the Daisey at the time and also had the lexan protectors for use with black powder in place. A very nice little instrument for the price.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Well, if the electronics are equal but the fancy options are all just icing for the more specialized user the decision will be simple. I drool on my shirt trying to do anything other than turn on my computer.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

The Chrony models are easy to use, even a cave man can do it. :lol: Be sure to get a model that has the remote control and readout that mounts right next to you instead of having it out on the sensor unit. Makes life a whole lot simpler.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

+1 to jnyork
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

jnyork wrote:The Chrony models are easy to use, even a cave man can do it. :lol: Be sure to get a model that has the remote control and readout that mounts right next to you instead of having it out on the sensor unit. Makes life a whole lot simpler.
This is good advice, I upgraded my basic Chrony recently to one with remote control and readout and it is just great and simple to use. The Chrony folk are great to deal with too, their place is here in Mississauga and they do upgrades and exchanges if required. :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
alukban
Levergunner

Post by alukban »

I find the Shooting Chrony to be extremely tempermental indoors and outdoors. It absolutely needs the diffusers. I think it is a piece of junk.

I got myself a Prochrono about 4 years ago and never looked back. I never use the diffusers. I use it outdoors irregardless of cloud conditions: totally clear, overcast, partial clouds, whatever. My Prochrono has actually NEVER failed to give a reading.

Folks end up shooting their Shooting Chronys because they are trying to get to the sweet spot above the optical sensors. The Prochorono likes you to shoot about a good >1' above it. They simply work.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

The electronics on all chronographs are NOT the same.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BAGTIC wrote:The electronics on all chronographs are NOT the same.
I guess in that case, I'd be interested in what differences there are with the more modern ones, although the data my old Beta Chrony puts out seem consistent and seldom cause a wasted shot. I am sure the newer and/or pricier manufacturers have more sophisticated algorithms to avoid stray signals and facilitate use in more varied ambient lighting, but I thought the principle of all chronographs was detection of a difference in light that happened at two different sensors, with the time between 'dips' and the distance between screens providing the data to calculate velocity. :?:

In any case, all I really want is reliable velocity data, without on-site stuff my laptop can do better when I get back to the house, so I guess I'm just not all that picky.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Gregor
Levergunner

Post by Gregor »

I have an Oehler 35 Proof Channel with the 3 sky screens. Blasted the nylon housing for the start screen on several occasions, mainly trying to chase virgin diamonds on Redfield sight-in targets. Even with a large window, sometimes you cut things close. Broke the diffuser support arm with a wad from a 12 ga. slug load. Should have taken the diffusers off, slug large enough for the screens to see easily. Oehler sells replacement bodies, I never damaged the wiring or lens, just the shells. Funny thing is, I haven't damaged anything since I bought several spares from Oehler.

I heartily recommend chronographs, especially the Oehler 35 system. Opens a whole new vista in reloading.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I have been using a Chrony for roughly 8 years. I found it temperamental without the diffusers, so I always use the diffusers and never have a problem unless the sun is pretty well set, or some cotton filler goes flying across the screen. I've tested it against known loads and it seems to be very accurate. Overall, with the diffusers on, I have found it to be cheap, reliable and accurate. I've chronographed bullets as low as about 150 ft/sec, as well as paint ball guns. I've never shot my Chrony and don't plan to, although I've been thinking of setting it up at the 100 yard target to get some real 100 yard velocities. Even then, I don't see why I would hit the thing. I did, however, have a gas check come off and put a little gas check ding in it once. I'm happy and would get another, but with the remote so I can control it from the bench rather than have to wait until the range is safe to go see my results and reset it.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

KirkD wrote:I have been using a Chrony for roughly 8 years. I found it temperamental without the diffusers, so I always use the diffusers and never have a problem unless the sun is pretty well set, or some cotton filler goes flying across the screen. I've tested it against known loads and it seems to be very accurate. Overall, with the diffusers on, I have found it to be cheap, reliable and accurate. I've chronographed bullets as low as about 150 ft/sec, as well as paint ball guns. I've never shot my Chrony and don't plan to, although I've been thinking of setting it up at the 100 yard target to get some real 100 yard velocities. Even then, I don't see why I would hit the thing. I did, however, have a gas check come off and put a little gas check ding in it once. I'm happy and would get another, but with the remote so I can control it from the bench rather than have to wait until the range is safe to go see my results and reset it.
Kirk, you can upgrade for a reasonable price at the Chrony place in Mississauga, that is what I did to get the remote control :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Another Pact Model 1 owner here ( since 1992 )

It has been flawless from bows , pellet guns on up to 25-06 speeds.

I thought it was junk for a couple months in 2011, then I cleaned the lenses and by golly she worked just like new. :oops:

I have had gas checks come off and cut a diffuser support twice, had a dust devil hit it once and broke a another support, all easily repaired with door skin and glue. :)

I don't have any experience with the other makes but Pact makes a good unit, mine has been well used and well traveled and still works great.

-----J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Thanks, Pete, for that info.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

I have a couple of the older Oehler models from before they quit the consumer market. They both work fine but the low frequency oscillators can not measure as precisely as some newer chronographs. This is important for those who need to use very close sensor spacings.

Some are more sensitive to light fluctuations on the skyscreens and glint from the bullet nose.

I want all the electronics but the sensors themselves on the bench with me. I once did shoot my sensors. I had bundled all the excess cables and the sensors into a piece of square section plastic downspout pipe that could be conveniently mounted on a camera tripod. It worked fine for a long time until one day the dreaded parallax caught up with me. A 22 varmint bullet clipped the edge of the pipe and the fragments traveled the inside length. It looked like a revolver full of 22 LR birdshot had traveled the entire length of the tube. The two cables were extracted in at least a dozen segments and the sensors looked like crushed glass. The impact was signaled by a big cloud of greasy dark gray smoke exiting both ends of the tube. The only thing that saved my day was knowing that all the electronics was sitting next to me on the bench and not 'out there' somewhere.

I too could collect the raw data and do the 'other stuff' especially the statistical calculations on a PC but it would be an extra PITA. Sometimes I want a quick look while I am at the range to see how things are trending real time not sometime tomorrow.