Browning levers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sigmar
Levergunner 2.0

Browning levers

Post by Sigmar »

opinions? Thinking of one since there are calibers the other manufacturers don't carry. ie 22/250. I don't reload and it probably isn't in my plans to. Trying to find a balance between varmint and deer gun plus recoil as my wife will be using it. Bullet placement is what its about imho. So many calibers to choose from makes my head ache lol. So I'll defer to the wise here.
Last edited by Sigmar on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobie

Re: Browning levers

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Sigmar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Sigmar »

WOW! great article, thx. Did you write this?
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

I've been looking at the BLR's for quite some time myself. A friend of mine has one in 270 Win. and loves it! Out of all the hunting rifles he owns, the BLR gets the call. I think the 22-250 is great for varmints but I wouldn't try it on deer. I don't know what they offer in calibers now but since you don't plan on reloading I would look into 270 Win. or 7mm-08.There's a gun shop that I go to from time to time and has two BLR's that I have been eyeing on. One is a take down in 358 Win. (my favorite) & the other is in 30-06. One of these day's one of them is coming home but just don't know which one?

Mainehunter :wink:
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

The BLR in .308 gets my vote. Course I have 12 or 13 of them, well I and my Grandsons.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I was sitting in the doctor's office a few years ago reading an outdoor life magazine that had a retro article in it from a 60's era outdoor life magazine. The article was introducing Remington's hot new deer cartridge, the .22-250. That's the way they marketed it when they first introduced it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I have had many BLR's in various calibers over the years. The one I kept and won't part with is a 308 model 81 with steel receiver. All my BLR's were very accurate.

I would get a straight grip model in 243. Here is the reason's why. The short action straight grip models feel like carrying a Win 94 30-30. The longer action calibers tend to have longer barrels and a different balance point, they have more of rifle feel than a carbine . When Browning when to alloy receivers , they shed weight which gives more felt recoil. This is why I got rid of my BLR in 300 WSM, it was just too light of a package for a hard hitting caliber, it wasn't fun to shoot. Plus the 243 is good on varmits and deer and nas very affordable ammo. With the detachable mag , you will find it to be your got to gun , because it so easy to grab and get shooting. Good Luck !
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

My steel framed .223 is my most fun BLR and will do about 90% of the .22-250's duties with cheaper (when you can find it) ammo.
Sigmar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Sigmar »

BenT wrote:I have had many BLR's in various calibers over the years. The one I kept and won't part with is a 308 model 81 with steel receiver. All my BLR's were very accurate.

I would get a straight grip model in 243. Here is the reason's why. The short action straight grip models feel like carrying a Win 94 30-30. The longer action calibers tend to have longer barrels and a different balance point, they have more of rifle feel than a carbine . When Browning when to alloy receivers , they shed weight which gives more felt recoil. This is why I got rid of my BLR in 300 WSM, it was just too light of a package for a hard hitting caliber, it wasn't fun to shoot. Plus the 243 is good on varmits and deer and nas very affordable ammo. With the detachable mag , you will find it to be your got to gun , because it so easy to grab and get shooting. Good Luck !
Thx for the info along with the rest of y'alls opinions. My problem is I've been out of the game for so long and as I've stated before been mainly a revolver shooter cept for a 300 win mag and 22's and that was over 30 yrs ago. Other problem is I'm impulsive and that can dig in the wallet hence why some many ignorant questions. As this gun is for my wife recoil is the main issue and I've never shot a 308 which I do like the caliber from what I've read on it. My wife loves to shoot but its mainly been 223's. I'm beginning to get it through my thick head theres no such thing as a caliber thats good for both small game and deer, you give up something in either direction. I also have always liked the 243 from everything I've read. So my question is 308 in BLA how is the recoil, something that wont make a person gun shy ? Thanks for putting up with me lol
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I saw one in 22/250 with Leupold scope on it. Was $500. Came back 2 days later and it was already gone.. This was in November of '11. So if you see one, buy it. Cause they don't stick around. Also with the 20" barrel bet it would give a nice fireball and horrendous muzzle blast.
Last edited by 3leggedturtle on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sigmar wrote:WOW! great article, thx. Did you write this?
No sir, Bruce Hamlin wrote it and is credited as the author.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

My b-i-l had one in 22-250, scoped. That rifle would outshoot my Ruger #1 which was also in 22-250. I lost interest in the #1 and traded it off. He sold his BLR without telling me, otherwise, I would own it. It is the only one that I've ever shot but it was a very accurate and fun to shoot rifle. Literally, a killer on coyotes.

I am fixed well enough on Coyote and prairie dog guns so if I get the chance to pick one up for the right price, I would get a BLR in .308. I would prefer a steel receiver but could live with the aluminum.

I would really like one in .30-06 but I think that the receiver is just a little too long.
Sigmar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Sigmar »

" I would prefer a steel receiver but could live with the aluminum." do they make a steel receiver ?
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Sigmar wrote:" I would prefer a steel receiver but could live with the aluminum." do they make a steel receiver ?
I don't know if they still do but at one time they were steel. I think maybe the BLR 81 started the light weight alloy models. I don't know if that is correct.

I think that my b-i-l's was steel, but that was in 1990 and I may be remembering it the way I want it to be.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Get her the .243. My middle son was badly injured in a motorcycle wreck and no longer likes very much recoil. Retired his 7 Mag and went to the BLR in .243. His youngest son then wanted the same caliber. Very accurate and with the 100 grain bullet are plenty potent for any deer.

When I was gifting my Grandsons one of them, a 240 lb. football player, already had a .308 so I got him a 30-06. I know, not much difference but he really likes the 06 and he can pack the bigger gun all day without noticing.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Another vote for the 243 model. LOUD, but not much recoil.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Being talked up as an effective deer-size game getting cartridge before it's sent to the field isn't the same as proving itself once it does get to the field. I'm curious to know what its track record is when used for this purpose. Has it achieved clean, relatively quick kills, such as the larger calibers do, when the hunter does his or her part? If it has, then I'd say go ahead and use it for deer. If not, then it'd be much more humane to use a larger caliber. Just my 2 cents, jd45
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I've personally witnessed the demise of at least 50 whitetails with either 6mm Remington or 243 Winchester using the 100 grain Sierra. Not one took another step. Shot placement was very good every time of course but my personal preference is that I like it much better than .270. The hydraulic shock caused when that bullet pumps up the chest cavity just plays havoc with the brain.

These days I shoot 45-70 or 45-90 a lot and realize that it's going to be at least a short tracking job since they just don't go right down unless the spine is hit.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If you are not reloading, and want to plink a bit, look at ammo prices. 243, 30wcf, '06, 270 are available even during the current crisis, and is rather economical compared to 22-250 and other high priced ammo. (I vote for the .243)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

The 243 comes as close as any caliber can to your specifications. Use good bullets and its good on deer to 300yds. Plenty of quality bullets over the counter. Lighter and faster are great on pests, fur collecting might be a big dicey though due to exit wounds. In spite of good velocity it doesnt destroy a lot of meat. The 22-250 may give you a lot of jello.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Your wife will shoot a 243 more than one in 308 because of recoil. The more she shoots the better she will get. Neither is like shooting a 223.
Sigmar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Sigmar »

Thanks for putting up with all the questions. Then a 243 it is. now the hard part will be finding one
gcburt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gcburt »

The way the BLR bolt locks down is what sold me on the BLR.

I am anxiously awaiting the mud to dry up a bit so I can zero in the scope om my 308.
CW5 Retired, Master Army Aviator and MTFE (1970-2005).
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

BLR--------24"----------------7MM Rem Mag------the shiny one!

Buddy has one----------------and boy is that thing purdy!

And real decent in the wallop dept on you but not on the critter getting hit! :wink:

Like one below----------and you can find them with really knurly wood, knurler than one below! :mrgreen:
http://www.armslist.com/posts/1181979/o ... -brand-new

I have to say------the finish on these brownings(that shiny gloss fancy finish)is remarkable,as is their bluing.
reason I say this is I have a decade old 24" Browning BPS Upland Special Deluxe (straight fancy stock)same kind of wood/finish/bluing. It's my turkey gun.
12ga run the XFull invector in it with 3" Rem # 2X4 duplex shells(works wonderfully)
I camo tape the (complete)gun-------this year I was telling my daughters boyfriend(you should see the finish on this shotgun I have--(bluing and stock)etc. He thought my custon grade Rem LT20 Skeet was something-----said,lets compare!

Grabbed it----it was camo duct taped(everything)---said----its been about 5 years since I monkeyed with the tape.I said---here let me show you---they are all gasping at the table(no,don't pull that tape :lol: ) I pulled er-----------she is still just as purdy as before-----man they make good finish and nice metal/wood----------try that on some guns :shock: (I knew it would be ok, time prior it was on 3 years(just fine)
Took it all off----Lemon Pledged whole gun(wiped er down good)guess what ??? She is all recamo'd again and ready for gobble gobble! :D
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I prefer older steel framed Blr 81 to the newer aluminum framed BLR lightweights. And I prefer the short action calibers with my favorite being the .308Win for my own use. I did own a 22-250 for a little while, but only shot it a few times. I don't know why, but I let one of my friends talk me out of it, and he has it now.

I think a .243 would be the best choice for someone who wants to deer hunt, and doesn't want the recoil of the .308 class of firearms.

I think that maybe the next time I run across a clean older steel framed BLR in .243, I will buy it myself if the price is not out of reason.
And good clean ones are getting more expensive all of the time. However, if you are going to deer hunt with a .243, you better pick your shots well, and also make good choices on bullet choice, because if the deer doesn't drop dead in it's tracks :roll: And I doubt they all will, your tracking job will be a little harder, because you may not have a good blood trail. I remember helping a fellow hunter find an 8 point buck one night in the Texas Hill Country, that was shot with a .243. It didn't go all that far but was made very difficult to fine, due to the very light blood trail, and he did make a text book shot on it, perfect broadside lung shot. He had an exit too, but was a tiny hole, and just no place to leak much blood.
NRA Life Member, Patron
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Sigmar wrote:Thanks for putting up with all the questions. Then a 243 it is. now the hard part will be finding one
The FUN part is finding one. Stopping by gunshops in your search , being tempted by other shiny guns. Staying on task in quest for the right BLR. Having conversations with other gun people. Moving on to the next gunshop, repeating the process week after week. That sounds like fun to me.
Sigmar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Sigmar »

BenT wrote:
Sigmar wrote:Thanks for putting up with all the questions. Then a 243 it is. now the hard part will be finding one
The FUN part is finding one. Stopping by gunshops in your search , being tempted by other shiny guns. Staying on task in quest for the right BLR. Having conversations with other gun people. Moving on to the next gunshop, repeating the process week after week. That sounds like fun to me.
Lol that will be the hardest part for me. I tend to make impulsive buys and when I set on something I want then I want it yesterday. Perhaps I'll learn a bit of patience with this........... naw
gcburt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gcburt »

gcburt wrote:The way the BLR bolt locks down is what sold me on the BLR.

I am anxiously awaiting the mud to dry up a bit so I can zero in the scope om my 308.

Over the weekend I added a .223 BLR to my group of leverguns. I will be about a month before I can shoot it!
CW5 Retired, Master Army Aviator and MTFE (1970-2005).