A Glock that finally got my attention

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

A Glock that finally got my attention

Post by 86er »

I am not a huge Glock fan, though I do trust my life to one. A Model 23 that I have used for 23 years has 41,600 rounds through it. A few springs were replaced over time but it has never had a single malfunction. However, the pistol is a little large for good concealment and I prefer 45ACP. Glock tried to reach a consumer like me with their G36, but the grip was big from front to back to me. Also, nowadays I want a few more rounds capacity. 2011 reports show crimes agains person by 2 or more perpetrators is up to 37% and crimes against property by 2 or more up to 39%. The Glock 30 offered more rounds but the grip was fatter and still too long. The 30 SF looked promising but then I realized the fat slide that was uncomfortable. Finally, the 30S came out. It has the 11 rd capacity of the 30 with the Short Frame and the Slim Slide of the 36. It will fit in 19/23 or 36 leathergear pretty well. I've heard a bit more muzzle jump than the 30 or 30SF due to lighter slide, but I can live with that. I'm going to give this one a serious look!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Re: A Glock that finally got my attention

Post by nemhed »

Definitely looks like a winner for fans of the 45acp!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I'm interested in this new pistol also. The only Glock I own is a 21SF. I like this pistol a lot, it fits and shoots very well but is just too thick to carry comfortably. it spends 90% of it's time on nightstand duty with a TLR-1 attached. I carry my Lightweight Commander because it carries so well and I've carried 1911's for many years.
I'd like to handle the new Glock but doubt any will show up around here anytime soon. If you get a chance to see one please let us know what you think. Thanks.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I've carried a 30 for 13 years. They are a little chunky but a good holster/belt combo helps. I use a Comp-Tac C-TAC and have carried the 30 24 hours straight concealed in a few cases, and the first 20 hours or so were comfortable despite being crammed into some tight spots (five guys and 500+lbs of equipment in a compact station wagon for example driving across TX)

Wasn't a fan of the 36, the 30S....eh. We'll see.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I had a 36 and was really stupid to let it go. I've recently come into a 30SF and I'm happy again. I would keep this one over the XDM, and 1911....The G36 was death on grouse, and those FMJ just went through and didn't tear up any meat. There is a good reason all the operators want this calibre. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I've never shot a glock. I have a G22 but prefer to carry my XDSC OR XD45C.

I can conceal this OK and have two different capacity mags.

What's the advantage of the 30S over this? Maybe I'd trade the 22 for one if there was a compelling reason.....
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The Gun Shop I frequent has seen some case of the barrel failing at the breech on the 45s - culprit seems to be using slow powder.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I got a 27 back when they 1st came out. I use the 13 shot magazines that stick out the butt a bit. Truly, one of the best purchases I ever made. :D
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I don't get it. Unless you have small hands, what good is the smaller grip? I'm not ham fisted, yet the stock 30 feels just fine. And, what's the supposed advantage of the slimmer slide? It sure isn't for concealability, not with the thickness of the grip. Maybe I'm missing something, but this seems like we're getting about as much difference between the 30 and the 30S as we got between Ford Falcon and a Mercury Comet. A little different grill and slightly different tail lights, but everything in between was the same.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Joe, I was on the plane back to Charlotte this morning and thumbing through my January issue of the American Rifleman magazine. They had an article on the new Springfield XDS. After our discussion Monday, I just skipped over it!

Like you, I'm not a huge fan of the Glocks, but it is hard to deny their success. I forgot to ask, since the 30S is new, is it a "Gen 4" gun?
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The 30S is a G3, but I was told it is going to get a G4 treatment along with 4 others models to be available by the end of the year. I think I prefer the G3 anyway.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

As far as Glocks and hands are concerned, I have yet to find on that fits my hand. I have medium length fingers, wear a size 13 ring, large and thick palms, and Glocks feel clunky to me. I prefer a 1911 style. I have a Glock 22 Gen 2. It is ok, but I will get one of those rubber grip pieces the next time I am at Cabela's or Bass Pro to fill in the area on the back of the grip that my hand tells me is missing. The swayback area just behind the trigger is too swaybacked for comfort. One of the reasons that there are so many gun designs is that there is not a single design that is comfortable to everyone.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

still wondering what the G30s has over the xd45c. xd has the grip safety, you know, just like the 1911. I like that. and it shoots cast bullets without an aftermarket barrel. and is less fussy about reloads than my mil spec 1911. And it conceals as well as the xd9sc. and better than the G22.

still wondering...

Grizz
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

I have the glock 21c which has the compensated barrel. It has less recoil than my buddies s@w in the .40 cal. And has a thirteen rd. clip to double tap if you wish. :D. I have long thin fingers which wrap around the grip nicely.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Jr was issued a G23 gen4 when he was sworn in. He has carried a gen 3 since he got his CCW. Last week we both went to a local range where they offer a "test drive" of any gun they have in their rental fleet. We both took the test drive on the G27 and both had the same feeling. The grip is just too small to feel secure. I managed to put 7 in the 10 ring and 3 in the 9 ring at 15 yards but I just didn't like the feel. The G23 is much better IMHO.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

The 9 shot mag fits flush. The 11 shot mag has a slight extension on it. If I really want to blast away, I got a 22 round mag for it 8) .This gun works for me :D
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Been watching this guy for a couple years now. He gives each gun he reviews a good workout, with a lot of shooting and just did a review on a 30s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbdP1JsB2Rw
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Grizz wrote:still wondering what the G30s has over the xd45c. xd has the grip safety, you know, just like the 1911. I like that. and it shoots cast bullets without an aftermarket barrel. and is less fussy about reloads than my mil spec 1911. And it conceals as well as the xd9sc. and better than the G22.

still wondering...

Grizz
PillHer has an XD, and I prefer the feel of it to the feel of the Glock. I got my Glock for the reason that it is .40 cal, and I can find .40 cal around here but not 9mm. During the one range session so far with my Glock, I kept every shot inside the 9 ring at 25 yards and it never failed, so it works just fine. PillHer likes the XD, and I have to admit that it feels better in the hand to me. Ruger and the 1911 style feel natural in my hand.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost