Federal primers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Federal primers

Post by olyinaz »

Guys, what's the skinny on Federal primers. Those are what seem to still be widely available here in Tucson. CCIs are long gone, Remington too, some Winchester out there (spotty), but Federals are in the shops here.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: Federal primers

Post by Shasta »

I have had very good results with Federal primers. The only beef I have against them is their over-sized packaging that takes up twice as much shelf room as any other brand.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Not sure Oly. Maybe the rest of the country got balky about buying things in silly packages that take up 4 times as much space as they have any business occupying (Federal primers) so they are sending them all your way. I didn't see Federals around this area even before the great hoorah.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I was of the mind that folks shy away from Federal primers because they're "soft" and there have been reports of accidents.

:?:

But, any port in a storm, right?

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

Good evening

I use Federal LRPs in my 270W, 30-30, 30-06, 45-70 with no problems.

"Soft" ??

"Accidents" ??

I have been reloading for 47 years. I have never experienced a "Soft" problem or any "Accidents" with Federal primers.

Respectfully yours,

Mark
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

mark wrote:Good evening

I use Federal LRPs in my 270W, 30-30, 30-06, 45-70 with no problems.

"Soft" ??

"Accidents" ??

I have been reloading for 47 years. I have never experienced a "Soft" problem or any "Accidents" with Federal primers.

Respectfully yours,

Mark
Interesting.

I've got equipment and manufacturer literature wherein both Lee and RCBS recommend against the use of Federal primers in their equipment due to incidents of accidental detonation.

Glad they work for you.

That's quite a stretch at the bench. How often do you take a break to eat?

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

My favorite primers specifically because they are a little softer. My DA revolvers with light springs are 100% with them. SAAs too. Been using thousands of them for years. Someone even makes an over sized flip tray for their packaging. I don't have one and get by with carefully dumping the 100 tray of them onto the flip tray and then picking up 2 from the bench. Run them through the Dillon all the time, no problemo!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I prefer Federal pistol primers, when I can get them and have been using them for many years. They do seem to be a bit more sensitive than some other brands.

When I used my Dillon SquareDeal press to load large volumes of pistol ammo, I seated quite a few Federal primers sideways with enough force to squash them flat and never had a detonation. Dillon used to recommend the use of Federal primers in their presses while Lee warned against the use of Federals in their equipment, go figure. I like the Lee priming tool and have worn out several of them. Because of the design of the primer tray, I always point it away from me when seating primers. When I use a priming device with a tube magazine, I don't put myself over the open end of the tube.

Back to the subject of primer brands, I prefer Federal and CCI. I've had significant issues with Winchester primers in recent years but they are often the only brand available. I would not use Winchester primers for any critical application. I strongly suspect the Winchester has been selling imported primers rather than manufacturing their own.
I've heard many good reports from folks using Wolf primers but have not tried them yet myself.

Jack
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Shasta wrote:I have had very good results with Federal primers. The only beef I have against them is their over-sized packaging that takes up twice as much shelf room as any other brand.

SHASTA
+1 I use them in my DA revolvers.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

There is nothing wrong with Federal primers. They are excellent primers.

Ignore the large packages and use them. Federals are a bit more sensitive due to their use of different priming mixtures than the other companies.

Lee and RCBS caution against their use due to the fact they tend to leave a little yellow green powder behind when they are used in feed tubes and trays. This is priming compound and if enough of it builds up can cause a loud noise. So just clean your equipment between sessions.

I haven't tried to buy any primers here so I don't know what is available.
But if Federal was on the shelves and nothing else was, I wouldn't hesitate.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ha! Ain't that somethin'! I noticed the same thing here in Pennsylvania. I had to give it some thought in my ingenious Italian brain and came up with the solution---------Thats mostly what I see even in good times. Guys will buy the smaller packaged Rem,CCI, or Win. because they are easier to stash in military ammo boxes.

I don't use military boxes to store my prizes...I have another gun safe just for powder and primers so the size of the packaging don't bother me. (whew, I hope things stay cool down in the basement :D )----------------6

edit---whoops...I see a military box for .308's in my signature pic....yea, got plenty of them...with the factory lead seal on 'em.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Post by QCI Winchesters »

Never had an issue with Federal or CCI primers. Remington primers, on the other hand.... I ended up tossing all I had left in a pond. Too many duds.
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
tdoor
Levergunner

Post by tdoor »

I use them and have no complaints. I do think they are hotter than CCI or WLR (the other makes I use). About 20 + years ago in a .257 Roberts BLR, I experimented changing from CCI200 to Federal primers. The load with CCI primers, although stiff, was not a maximum load either from the Hornady manual I used or by observation and I had success with it on white tails. When I changed to the Federal primers, I did not change anything else (which is _not_ a good idea, I should have reduced the power charge and worked up again);

Firing the Federals I got a couple of leaky primers. Chronographed the 2 different loads- the Federal load was about 100 fps faster. I pulled the remaining bullets, reduced the powder charge appropriately, got approximately the same velocity
as the CCI200 loads and no disconcerting leakage or other pressure signs.

My conclusion was that the federals (as I have since read elsewhere, don't recall where) are hotter, and that I was very unwise in not working up the load with less powder when I change components
tdoor
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have used almost all brands of primers over the years. Federal primers have given me the best accuracy in my 6mm BR benchrest rifle. Federal primers are softer and preferred buy many CAS shooters with their soft springs and race guns. I have always used and prefered CCI for hunting loads.
I shoot Winchester ,CCI ,Federal,Remingtons for target and CAS shooting and have had good results from all of them.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

olyinaz wrote:Guys, what's the skinny on Federal primers. Those are what seem to still be widely available here in Tucson. CCIs are long gone, Remington too, some Winchester out there (spotty), but Federals are in the shops here.
Oly
Shasta wrote:I have had very good results with Federal primers. The only beef I have against them is their over-sized packaging that takes up twice as much shelf room as any other brand.
SHASTA
Folks don't take the time to read. They see the "large" package, and their brain sez "shotshell!"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Griff, You may be right. People pass up Federal`s without reading the label thinking
they are shotgun primers. :?
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

[quote="Griff ][/quote]
Folks don't take the time to read. They see the "large" package, and their brain sez "shotshell!"[/quote]

Good deal. Leaves some for the rest of us. :D
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

As I recall, the Federal packaging was redesigned after an 'incident' on a UPS truck. I have zero problems with Federal primers. They are supposed to be slightly softer cups. I believe the small rifle has a tendency to slam-fire in an AR due perhaps to their slightly softer nature. That may be the reason Federal has an AR specific primer out now. Perhaps it has a thicker or harder mil-spec cup versus the normal 205's. Of course, it could just be the same primer but with "AR" on the box as all things AR seem to fetch more money. I wouldn't put that past them.

In case anyone is searching, Anvil tells me that Federal 210's (LR) are in stock at the online supplier Precision Reloading.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Thanks guys! I am lucky to have them available I suspect. :?
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:As I recall, the Federal packaging was redesigned after an 'incident' on a UPS truck. I have zero problems with Federal primers. They are supposed to be slightly softer cups. I believe the small rifle has a tendency to slam-fire in an AR due perhaps to their slightly softer nature. That may be the reason Federal has an AR specific primer out now. Perhaps it has a thicker or harder mil-spec cup versus the normal 205's. Of course, it could just be the same primer but with "AR" on the box as all things AR seem to fetch more money. I wouldn't put that past them.
Actually, I find the notion that the AR specific primer is a bit harder to be a reasonable one. After all, civilian primers and ammo is one of the reasons why some people put titanium firing pins in ARs (the risk of slam fires). But more likely I suspect it's simply their mil-spec primer sold to the public. Federal is a huge manufacturer of military ball ammunition after all.
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Bob Hatfield
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bob Hatfield »

My little H&R 732 in 32 S&W long doesnt fire reliably unless I use Federal small pistol primers. CCI, and Winchester have misfires (not dented good enough). Looks dented ok but misfires. I believe maybe the Federal priming mix is more sensitive possibly when mated with a lighter hammer blow works better.

Bob
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Bob Hatfield wrote:My little H&R 732 in 32 S&W long doesnt fire reliably unless I use Federal small pistol primers. CCI, and Winchester have misfires (not dented good enough). Looks dented ok but misfires. I believe maybe the Federal priming mix is more sensitive possibly when mated with a lighter hammer blow works better.

Bob

Thats interesting, I have issues sometimes with a SP101 and reloads misfiring, I use CCI small pistol. I did install a lighter spring setup from Brownells years ago. After reading your comment and another I may change primers for that pistol. Assuming they can be found. :lol: Although i do have some Wolf primers, they are supposed to be soft.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Years ago I had a Contender with a super 14 barrel in .30-30 Win. I used it for shooting the steel animal course. Needing brass, the easiest thing to do was to go to the nearest big box store and buy the loaded rounds. REMINGTONS shot great but Federals were a problem. The primers were flowing back into the firing pin hole any tying up the gun. I never thought about the primsrs till reading this post.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.