Rust Buckets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Rust Buckets

Post by pwl44m »

I picked these up the other day. Oneis a S&W 38. Hopefully Someone can tell Me what model it is. It is totally rusted up and cannot be opened. My idea is to soak them in Tranny Fluid with a litte mineral spirits mixed in. Anyone with a better idea ? The other is a Charter Arms 357, it caught the worst of the water. The Guy said His Grandmother had buried them in the back yard in a not so waterproof box. Then comes the flood and the resulting condition. I don't even know wy I boight them other than "they r Guns" and the price was reasonable -100 bucks.
Perry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Rust Buckets

Post by Blaine »

Perry, you need an intervention, Sir.... :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

BlaineG wrote:Perry, you need an intervention, Sir.... :P
And Ur gonna help ? U Guys just don't know what it's like to have this sickness Good news is that it is Not life threatning and it isn't contagious so U Guys are safe.
Perry
P.S. others have eluded to that also Blaine, Her nme is Mrs. Weiher.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I think it is a S&W Model 15
Do you want to sell it, looks salvageable.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

pwl44m wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Perry, you need an intervention, Sir.... :P
And Ur gonna help ? U Guys just don't know what it's like to have this sickness Good news is that it is Not life threatning and it isn't contagious so U Guys are safe.
Perry
P.S. others have eluded to that also Blaine, Her nme is Mrs. Weiher.
All kidding aside....can you make those functional after a bit of work?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

I use electrolytic rust removal process. It will pull the rust right out of the pores..Done several guns that way..
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Alphawolf,
Can you offer a informative description of that process?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'm NOT a metal expert at all, but I've had a couple guys 'in the industry' tell me that age and rust do NOT affect the integrity of steel (extreme heat does, and extreme stress as in over-loading does), so the guns should be salvagable IF there is not too much material eroded from critical surfaces that can't be repaired or replaced reasonably (i.e. chamber walls, sears, etc.).

SO.... I think you done good. :wink:

Dunno the electrolytic and all the other technical stuff, but I'm sure the guns could be made 'serviceable' - not necessarily top-notch, but shootable.

Good projects.. :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

I'm not certain, but I believe the process is similar to making a home-made "Foul-out" style bare cleaner. A tub, filled with water, that has a certain solution of vinegar added, with stripped copper wire and a power supply, such as a charger for a phone or what not. I built one about 5 years ago, but have forgotten the details. The gun I was working on had other issue, but the rust was removed pretty nicely. And I only gave it one run.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

It hurts to look at those.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

They are expensive fishing sinkers. :wink:
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

There was a guy on ar15.com who posted pics and a great explanation of how he used electrolysis to remove/dissolve the rust from a 1911 that looked as bad as the model 15 on top. When he started, not one part would move. He actually got it where it would function, I don't recall if he fired it but it probably could have been fired.

I searched for the thread but couldn't find it. Alphawolf45 said that he uses electrolysis on guns, maybe he would be willing to post some pictures or provide a link.

I do hope that the $100 was for the pair.... :!:
I only say that because I didn't pay much more than that for my M15 back in 1999.

Below is a pic of my S&W Model 15, that except for grips (and finish) looks like the top revolver in your pic.
Last edited by damienph on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

It jumped out as a 15 to me, good looking gun dude.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Mdl 15 if chambered in .38Spl, mdl 19 if .357Mag.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Griff wrote:Mdl 15 if chambered in .38Spl, mdl 19 if .357Mag.
True, but Model 19 has shrouded ejector rod, where Model 15 doesn't.
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

Electrolytic rust removal... Use one tablespoon per gallon of water Arm and Hammer Activated Baking Soda Deoderizer ( sold in clothes washing powders section.)

Negative lead from 12 or 15 volt DC power supply to rusty part and posive lead to a sacrificial steel anode ( use rebar or old mower blade or whatever junk you have) in the water but dont touch the workpiece naturally.. You'll get a couple amps working to remove the rust. It will foam with tiny bubbles..Works good. Easy....Caution it will remove plating.

.Just 20 minutes ago I took a big steel forge pan I was using the process on out of a kiddie pool . Its ready to prime and then paint.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Alphawolf45 wrote: Negative lead from 12 or 15 volt DC power supply to rusty part and posive lead to a sacrificial steel anode ( use rebar or old mower blade or whatever junk you have) in the water but dont touch the workpiece naturally.. You'll get a couple amps working to remove the rust.
Can you use a battery charger for the power supply? What would you recommend?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Alphawolf45 wrote:Electrolytic rust removal... Use one tablespoon per gallon of water Arm and Hammer Activated Baking Soda Deoderizer ( sold in clothes washing powders section.)

Negative lead from 12 or 15 volt DC power supply to rusty part and posive lead to a sacrificial steel anode ( use rebar or old mower blade or whatever junk you have) in the water but dont touch the workpiece naturally.. You'll get a couple amps working to remove the rust. It will foam with tiny bubbles..Works good. Easy....Caution it will remove plating.

.Just 20 minutes ago I took a big steel forge pan I was using the process on out of a kiddie pool . Its ready to prime and then paint.
If you used a copper piece and reversed the leads could you copper plate the guns? Or silver? Whatever?
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I was thinking it was a model 15 also. If you can get it working it still has the potential of being a good shooter. Sometimes having something you don't have to worry about makes it more fun. Good truck gun, etc.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

Perry,
I've had good luck with old Master padlocks that have rusted up into a lump around salt water by soaking them in a jar of "Marvels Mystery Oil" for a few weeks. They looked worse on the outside than what you have got there.
Not saying they looked very pretty afterwards, but they would usually work if you had the right key.
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

3 or 4 parts of water to 1 part molasses works magic on rust. I used this method to
restore and old master cylinder and other rusty car parts. Do a google search.

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

damienph wrote:
Alphawolf45 wrote: Negative lead from 12 or 15 volt DC power supply to rusty part and posive lead to a sacrificial steel anode ( use rebar or old mower blade or whatever junk you have) in the water but dont touch the workpiece naturally.. You'll get a couple amps working to remove the rust.
Can you use a battery charger for the power supply? What would you recommend?
Okay..I just now went out and tried automotive battery charger..No, dont work ..Think theres a sense circuit in the charger intended to ramp up voltage on a dead battery..Anyway I put a volt meter across the leads and found that I was only getting 6.5 volts dc on the 12 volt setting and amp gage of the charger was showing no amps...There were however milliamps moving , there was bubbles coming up indicating the electrolytic action was happening but very slowly......I use lab power supplies..Battery charger wouldnt work very fast if at all..
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

maybe a model 14 , with those grips.
didn't the 15s come with magna grips?
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

pokey wrote:maybe a model 14 , with those grips.
didn't the 15s come with magna grips?
Usually the model 14 has a Patridge front sight and the model 15 has a ramp front sight.
I believe that Magnas were standard on both model 14 and 15s. The grips on that revolver are Magnas, at least they look like they are to me. Mine has targets which could have been ordered on either but are not original to my M15.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Evapo-Rust works well. It chemically dissolves iron oxide but leaves iron and steel alone. You can leave the item in it overnight and the next day pull it out and work on it or even drop it in a sonic cleaner and watch the rust just dissolve away from the piece. It's also pretty much non-toxic.

The electrolytic process is, frankly, the best, but if you don't/can't be bothered with that Evapo-Rust works and is available at many auto parts stores.

http://www.amazon.com/Evapo-Rust-ER004- ... =rust+away
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Yes- 100 bucks for both.
I like the electrolysis idea. I watched a You tube on removing rust from a cast iron skillet that way but it takes some preparation. The evapo rust and other chemicals sounds pretty simple. My Wife would be happy if I went the Mollasses route ( She don't like them).
Fishing Sinkers !!! the dickens U say Chuck, I'll show Ya.
I think there is no hope for the Charter, notice the trigger gaurd or whats left of it.
Thanks Guys for all the tips.
The ayes have it, must be a 15, thats what I will go with.

Perry
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Mescalero wrote:I think it is a S&W Model 15
i concur...Model 15...too bad... :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dogngun
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dogngun »

The gun with the grips IS a S&W Model 15, the .38 Spl Combat Masterpiece...In realistic working condition, they are selling in the $400 area. ( I have one right here next to my Mac....in much better condition, and it has magna grips, too.)

The one without the grips is not a Smith, but probably a Charter Arms Target Bulldog. Not as much class, but still worth the effort to save.
Since you already own them, why not give cleaning them a try...it will keep you interested at least and you might get usable guns out of the deal.
I'd try to save them both, but that Smith would get a lot more effort.

Good luck!

mark
The GOP/teabag party - Anti American AND stupid.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

pwlm,
On gunbroker.com, gun parts kits, page 9, Item # 328896572.
S&W model 15 all the parts you need, you have the frame, everything else is in this item #.
Mescalero
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

BTT
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

30wcf wrote:
Mescalero wrote:I think it is a S&W Model 15
i concur...Model 15...too bad... :(
30wcf, the grips in the top picture (your attachment) are what historically have been called Targets or Target grips, the bottom picture are what I always have thought to be Magnas or Magna grips.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx mucho Mescy, they r 2 days out. I will definitly keep an eye on them. I need a rear sight for sure. Now the $10,000 question, how much do I want to put in this Gun.
Perry
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I don't think you can lose, you have the frame; the major component, if you buy that kit, everything else is used, salvagable.
You would have $200.00 in it.
I had a model 15, they are nice guns.
And nothing is going to get cheaper.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Got the parts kit on GB. $136.87 plus $10.00 shipping. I just barely stayed under My $150.00 total.
Perry
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Allright!!!!!!
You rock, we will be waiting for the final results.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

pwl44m wrote:Got the parts kit on GB. $136.87 plus $10.00 shipping. I just barely stayed under My $150.00 total.
Perry
day late/dollar short, i was gonna offer you the s&w stainless guts from a model 66.
it would be interestjng to see if they fit.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Sorry Pokey, U know U have to move fast on here. That would have been cool if they would work.
Perry
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

It's soaking, I bought some Evapo-rust yesterday. Started soaking @ 10:00 am. I think I won't check them tonite. We'll see what it looks like in the morning.
The parts kit should be on the way.
Perry
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I am excited!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Mescalero wrote:I am excited!
Me too -- looking forward to see how this thing turns out
----- Doug
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

It would be a hoot to see that thing re-habbed.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I pulled it out of the soak tonite, hosed it down and blew it out with air. The E-vapo rust did a pretty good job. Can't get the grips off- the escutcheon is turning inside the grip panel. Will have to figger out a way to keep it from turning. The two exsposed screws in the side plate came right out as did the thumb push for the cylinder release. Got the cylinder swung out and free and spinning. Even got the cylinder and crane off the frame. The trigger and hammer works but won't go to full cock and release.The hand turns the cylinder and all springs seem to be working fine as everything returns to position. Will work on it some more tommorow and try to get some pics. This may turn into a working Gun after all.
The Saga continues-- Perry
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have high hopes, does the frame look like it will clean up, not perfect; just clean up?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Third screw is under the grips.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Grip screws and ferules can be had, if you're trying to save the grips drill the screw out from the non slotted side as you hold it with a screwdriver on the other side.

I too would like to see some before and after pics.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Mescalero wrote:It would be a hoot to see that thing re-habbed.

Recently had one cerakoted zombie green with red blood splatter. Every bit a beater as top pistol in OP.

Functions adequately. Definitely not a SD gun for carry.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Well Guys after a few hours in the Gun room this S&W would fire if I had the guts. Took a couple pics after I got the side plate off. One pic shows a pair of forceps holding the escutceon to get the screw out. Popped the side plate off and it looked nasty but it was mostly the soak solution. I only lost one part upon reassembly, a little teeny plunger for the cylinder realease. Had to make one and it functions properly. Put it all back together and it seems to work like it shoud. I have a bottle of cold blue handy so I smeared some on and it took like flys to honey.
BTW it is a mod 15-3 -- the designation is mod 15 combat masterpiece. I almost wish I hadn't ordered those other parts but it would be mighty rough looking the way the cylinder & barrel are pitted. Message from GB today says My parts are on the way.
It took a little work to get the cylinder honed out to accept ammo but as U can see they fit and fall out nicely. It was amazing how well everything looked on the inside, screws and springs were perfect- no rust or pitting on anything. I guess where air couldn' get to it saved it from rust.
This will beMy first attempt at posting a video so hope it works. also a couple pics.
Thx to Mescalero, He was my Inspiration to get on this thing as well as the rest of You Guys.
Perry :D
well the video file was too large, will see if I can just do 2 trigger pulls and see if itis small enough.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:D :D :D :mrgreen:
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Perry, looks like you got yourself a good shooter, you'er doing good.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yes, he is.