Trying to date a Interarms 92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
tattoo13
Levergunner 1.0

Trying to date a Interarms 92

Post by tattoo13 »

A friend is trying to buy this and was told it was somewhere between 84-86.
Serial number is K-088878 it is a .357, we are just trying to pin down the manufacture date.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Trying to date a Interarms 92

Post by Griff »

I'd guesstimate that that as early to mid 1990s. I have one that's about 20K below that & I bought it in the very late 1980s. Nate may have a better idea tho'.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
tattoo13
Levergunner 1.0

Post by tattoo13 »

Thanks, that is newer than we thought.
Maybe Nate will come along and narrow it down a bit.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Did you try buying it a drink first :lol:
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Early to mid 90s is getting perilously close to Legacy (LSI) takeover from Interarms. Late ones from Interarms no longer had the emblem/medallion as this has. Instead those later ones were the now infamous black "mystery stain/wood" and no more saddle rings as Interarms/Rossi really cranked them out in large numbers to meet the growing CAS demand. Early Interarms Rossis (late 70s to early 80s) also were emblem-free, so I think mid to late 80s sounds about right. These Puma emblem Rossis still had pretty nice wood like the earlier ones as well.
IOW, the OP's friend's 84-86 dating doesn't sound out of line.
tattoo13
Levergunner 1.0

Post by tattoo13 »

Well he bought it and it is smooth as butter, I wish my new Rossi was close to it.
Got to load up a bunch of 357's and see how it shoots.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

gak wrote:Early to mid 90s is getting perilously close to Legacy (LSI) takeover from Interarms. Late ones from Interarms no longer had the emblem/medallion as this has. Instead those later ones were the now infamous black "mystery stain/wood" and no more saddle rings as Interarms/Rossi really cranked them out in large numbers to meet the growing CAS demand. Early Interarms Rossis (late 70s to early 80s) also were emblem-free, so I think mid to late 80s sounds about right. These Puma emblem Rossis still had pretty nice wood like the earlier ones as well.
IOW, the OP's friend's 84-86 dating doesn't sound out of line.
My son's Rossi Puma, #K067xxx was purchased new from Interarms in 1991 for $231.59. Has mystery-wood and medallion. Wife's emblem free, engraved gold plated, K043xxx was also bought new in 1986 for $227.95.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

You might get lucky, check out http://www.rossiusa.com/find-model.cfm Mine didn't get any return info. Currently on hold w/customer service... 18 callers in front of me!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Griff I surprised at the combo, and if yours is a '91, that's it's an emblem that late. Have never seen an emblem combined with the black mystery stain, always a bit better wood. Also, by the time of the mystery stain, the rings were being phased out and of course all emblem'd guns had rings. Must be a transitionl gun - very late emblem'd gun/very early black mystery stain!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well... after an hour & 54 minutes, I talked to a live person. Need to email M&M Gunsmithing for info. Bah Humbug! mmgunsmithing@yahoo.com
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

tattoo13 wrote:A friend is trying to buy this and was told it was somewhere between 84-86.
Serial number is K-088878 it is a .357, we are just trying to pin down the manufacture date.
Thanks for any help in advance.
Here's what M&M Gunsmithin' said:
Hi,
I cannot give an exact date of manufacture (or model numbers for pre-Interarms Rossi) . Firearms International of Washington DC imported Rossi in the 1960’s. Garcia Corp. of Washington DC imported Rossi from about 1968-74. Interarms of Alexandria, VA imported Rossi 1975-1999.
Gunbroker.com would be the best place to see what the current market is.
K043xxx - mid/late 80’s
K067xxx - mid/late 80’s
K088xxx - early 90’s
Clear as mid, no?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Griff, well then I may just hve to eat my hat! I could've sworn LSI (Legacy) "took over" before '99. Steve Young (aka Nate Kiowa Jones) has indicted when the prez of Interarms died, so basically did the company and some employees banded together to form LSI. That gent died in '98 IIRC, so that'd make sense with what you've discovered. All I know is I got (then later sold to a friend) a nice emblem'd Rossi in the mid-to-late 80s, but pre black mystery stain. However, I knew they were emblemed with that "puma" head for only a few years in the middle there, with at least a few if not several years left over after that under the Interarms. distributorship..My first Rossi 92 was about "79 or '80, and with all that's been said by some to disparage the "early Pumas," the several I've had/have of that era have been great...all had better wood and as smooth--save for a nice pair of smoother yet pre- safety EMFs--as the "improved" 2000+ LSI Puma and other distributor'd models,...and certainly better wood than the most recent-years' Rossis under Taurus-Braztech..
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Gents,

I believe that Rossi started making the '92 in 1976. I do not know how they manufactured the receivers, back then, but he more-recent ones are cast (definitly by 2003). Also, the older Rossis had a more-correct shape to their recievers:

...versus the newer ones:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

In late 2006 I bought an Interarms Rossi 92 src .357,the serial number is k017xxx. I am the third owner, the rifle had 10 rounds fired through it when I got it.There is know medalion and it has very nice wood and finish like the first one in Hagler's post. I don't know when it was made but I sure do love that little carbine.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
1894c

Post by 1894c »

ok forgive me...i can't resist any longer...YOU DON'T WANT TO DATE A INTERARMS 92...YOU WANT TO DATE A WOMAN...there i posted it...feel much better...again my apologies for being a smart-a.......... :)
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

30WCF, I was tryin to keep quiet till you had to make your comment... mine was to tell him did he try roses? Maybe try some reloads.. She'll get a bang out of that..
At least I thought that would be funny. lol
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

At least he is trying to date within his species. Going outside of your species might get you something like an AR7.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

JerryB wrote:In late 2006 I bought an Interarms Rossi 92 src .357,the serial number is k017xxx. I am the third owner, the rifle had 10 rounds fired through it when I got it.There is know medalion and it has very nice wood and finish like the first one in Hagler's post. I don't know when it was made but I sure do love that little carbine.
I love my early Rossis. Don't know about that serial number, but if it's a nice wood, no medallion gun it could be anywhere from late 70's to late 80's I would think. The 2000 (or so) retooling may have made for some smoother out-of-the-box guns but I've never felt it improved the overall desirability--most of the earlier Interarms being nicer, especially regarding wood selection--the odd black mystery stain years notwithstanding--and, as mentioned, receiver contours (not sure when that changed), and on many early examples longer and better contoured forend "nose" (ahead of the barrel band) much closer the original Wins. Post 2000 guns (at least LSI's which accounted for most) also brought us the fukakata safety. My ca 2004-2006 EMFs thankfully did not have that "feature."