Need to help men start reloading for 223

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Need to help men start reloading for 223

Post by Tycer »

I have an acquaintance who wants to start loading for his Windham AR 1:9 and another friend with a Mini 14 with the same twist rate. What grain bullet, what powder, and what primers should I order to get them going.
If I'm going to pay hazmat, I'd like to start them off with 8# of powder and a case of primers.
I'm leaning toward loads that would work on ~200# predators out to 300 yds.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Need to help men start reloading for 223

Post by J Miller »

The only answer I can give is to research it and duplicate military ball ammo's velocity and pressure curve for bullets appropriate to that twist. If there is any. I'm not an x-spurt on the 223 /5.56mm round.

I did watch two friends of mine go almost nuts many years ago with both Mini 14s and AR 15s jamming. The problem was the commercial load data they were using wasn't hot enough and didn't have the right pressure curve to properly function the rifles actions. Military ball worked flawlessly in all of them.
Once the pressure and pressure curve problem was fixed the rifles worked like they were supposed to.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I use alot of Accurate 2015br powder and wolf primers designed for the 5.56(little harder on the cup). Midsouth "Dogtown" bullets would work fine for what you want, also Hornady Vmax,zombiemax,or plain SP. Ramshot Xterminator should work well too.

That said, good luck finding components nowadays. With the frenzy going on, its tough to find. Ramshot powders should be easier to find as many don't know about them, so stay away from them.

Try Wideners for stuff, or Grafs or Midsouth
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Tycer, I'm really a novice here, so hesitate to give someone with your experience any advice. I can pass on some tips I've picked up from research...

-- Most loading data is for .223 Remington. As Joe indicated, NATO 5.56 is loaded a little hotter, but data is tough to find.
-- There is a lot of discussion of primers and potential slam fires. The recommended primers are CCI #41 or Remington 7 1/2 (not 6 1/2). Federal #205 are also good to go, as are CCI #400. The general consensus is to use magnum primers, however, a lot of people offer differing opinions, saying any small rifle primers will do. Winchesters had a reputation for slam fires when they switched to brass primers a few years back, but that seems to have been resolved. Bottom line, if the primers are recessed .002" to .004", and hot loads are avoided, just about all of the primers will work. Using a primer pocket uniformer tool is recommended.
-- There are several powders that are recommended. Ball powders that meter well include Tac, BLC2, AA-2230, and H-335; extruded powders like Varget are great for precision loads, but can be difficult to throw from a powder measure. Other extruded powders suitable for .223 are, IMR-4895, IMR-3031, Re-15, and IMR-8208 XBR. Many adjust powder depending upon the bullet weight, with some being better suited for heavier bullets.

Here are a couple good references:
http://www.6mmbr.com/223rem.html

http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk33 ... rspecs.jpg
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

"there's a man going around, taking names.."
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I did a fair amount of research before I started working up a load. I wanted an accurate bullet for pin point accuracy and one that would also be good for 200# predators.

One thing you don't want are 55 gr fmj's.

I keep on hand several thousand rounds loaded with 69 gr. Sierra Match Kings in front of 25 gr. of IMR 4895. My twist is 1-7 but will work in your bud's 1-9---------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I thought Minis were either 1-12 or 1-10? Are the new ones 1-9?

Thanks,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Tycer best load has been sierra 69 matchkings , 25.5 grs alliant RL15 CCI primers and win brass the load is from alliants site. My partner is getting 3" group at 500 yds with a bolt gun and this load. If your friends are going to be hunting in cold weather a extreme powder like 15 is needed to keep your hits where your aiming. A plus about 15 powder it works for alot of other calibers to, I use it in 30-30 and 300 sav. danny
A note on the mini have your friend check his twist rate.
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

Sixgun wrote:I did a fair amount of research before I started working up a load. I wanted an accurate bullet for pin point accuracy and one that would also be good for 200# predators.

One thing you don't want are 55 gr fmj's.

I keep on hand several thousand rounds loaded with 69 gr. Sierra Match Kings in front of 25 gr. of IMR 4895. My twist is 1-7 but will work in your bud's 1-9---------------Sixgun
From Mr Murphy's post:

With a 20" barrel, 55 grain works best under 200m or so. With the proper twist, a 62 grain load can remain effective further out (as was the original intent with the M249 machine gun) or penetrate more. With softpoint loads, either is more effective, as are OTM (open tip match) loads like the Mk 262, which with a hit to the chest, will generally cause the target to cease and desist his actions right then. The 262 is Black Hills's Sierra Match King load I believe, and guys I know who've shot people with it in Afghanistan say it does what it should, the target pretty much stops right there with 1-2 hits center mass.

As stated above Sierra Match kings in 69 or 77 grain. 77 grain at 2700fps is what the mk262 load runs.
Varget is an exellent choice in powder and works well with both of the above bullets.

Chris
Last edited by Chris83716 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I like CFE223. Tests show it really does prevent copper fouling and gives speed and accuracy toom
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Tycer wrote:I'm leaning toward loads that would work on ~200# predators out to 300 yds.
Get them a .308.

That said, I've used BL-C(2) and CFE223 powder and Hornady's Varmit 60grain in my 1:9 Wyndham AR. I've used both CCI and WSR primers and have found no difference. I can't answer about accuracy out to 200 yards, I haven't shot mine that far yet.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

The just released Hornady number 9 loading manual has one section for 223 Rem, another for 223 service rifle, and yet another for 5.56 nato.

Hornady runs a tech assist line for answering questions also. Somewhere there is a very workable answer.
-Brian
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have a 1:9" twist and I went with the CHP standard of 64 gr. Winchester PP over W748. I just realized I don't have the powder charge written down anywhere in computer-land. I'll have to go down to the loading area and dig it up.

PS - 26 gr. of W748 lit by a CCI 450 (small rifle magnum) primer.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

I'm currently burning 748 in my 788 under a Win 55gr SP. I'm still adjusting the loads though.

I've often wondered about the relationship bertween 748 and BL-C2.

- Brian