OT-Any other northerners here had enough (weather thread)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

OT-Any other northerners here had enough (weather thread)

Post by Jason_W »

Yet another messy storm is moving in for the weekend, completely killing my ice fishing plans for tomorrow.

I swear, we've had at least a storm a week since Feb 1. It's starting to wear on even the old timers who are generally resistent to these winters.
Last edited by Jason_W on Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

If "nasty weather" stops you from ice fishing you have no business even trying the sport... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Old Ironsights wrote:If "nasty weather" stops you from ice fishing you have no business even trying the sport... :wink:
I can deal with the cold, it's more a matter of the road conditions getting to the lake. And not parking where the plow will bury your car.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Jason_W wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:If "nasty weather" stops you from ice fishing you have no business even trying the sport... :wink:
I can deal with the cold, it's more a matter of the road conditions getting to the lake. And not parking where the plow will bury your car.
You don't park on the lake? What's wrong with you. You need to drink more before going out. You can't be called an Ice Fisherman if you haven't had at least one vehicle seriously threatened with (or actually) falling through the ice to the bottom of the lake... :shock:

Or maybe that's just a Wisconsin thing... :wink: :D
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Old Ironsights wrote:
Jason_W wrote:
You don't park on the lake? What's wrong with you. You need to drink more before going out. You can't be called an Ice Fisherman if you haven't had at least one vehicle seriously threatened with (or actually) falling through the ice to the bottom of the lake... :shock:

Or maybe that's just a Wisconsin thing... :wink: :D
It's something I'll never do, and I don't understand how others take that risk. To top it all off, they do it with brand new trucks. No insurance in the world is going to cover you if it goes through.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Funny you should ask! Just heard on the radio this morning that out of the last 93 days we have had just ONE day that the high made it to forty degrees F. That, and we have had only ONE other day that the high made it above freezing (32F). Coupled with all that, in those 93 days, we have had three occurances in which we have had measurable snow NINE days in a row. Of those 93 days, forty of them have had either the ambient or wind chill temperature below 0 degrees farenheit. Then again we have been blessed with FIVE full sunny days within that 93 day span, so thank you God! Tonight the low, not including wind chill, is supposed to dip below zero again and they are only predicting a couple of inches of more snow.

We're supposed to have a meet at the range this coming Sunday, I'll have to wear my snowshoes.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I decided I would enjoy life more if instead of fighting the weather, I enjoyed it. The storm is to hit us tonight and we're looking forward to a snug day tomorrow .... Storms tend to create great family times, one of us reads aloud to the children, we work on hobbies, play games, etc. When the storm is over, I set to work clearing the lane, and the fringe benefit .... more cross country skiing. Spring and summer will come .... don't worry.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

KirkD wrote:I decided I would enjoy life more if instead of fighting the weather, I enjoyed it. The storm is to hit us tonight and we're looking forward to a snug day tomorrow .... Storms tend to create great family times, one of us reads aloud to the children, we work on hobbies, play games, etc. When the storm is over, I set to work clearing the lane, and the fringe benefit .... more cross country skiing. Spring and summer will come .... don't worry.
That's a good way to look at it. I work an office job, so by the time the weekend comes, I'm chomping at the bit to get out and do something active.

Maybe I'll go fishing anyway, it probably won't kill me.
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

Temp. was -12 degrees last night. This is the second Artic blast we've had during calving season. Didn't get much sleep last night but it sounds like the worst is over, low of 18 above tonight...high of 40 for tomorrow. No snow in western North Dakota so far, always best to have a drought in the winter.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

KirkD wrote:I decided I would enjoy life more if instead of fighting the weather, I enjoyed it. The storm is to hit us tonight and we're looking forward to a snug day tomorrow .... Storms tend to create great family times, one of us reads aloud to the children, we work on hobbies, play games, etc. When the storm is over, I set to work clearing the lane, and the fringe benefit .... more cross country skiing. Spring and summer will come .... don't worry.
Kirk, that sounds like a plan: can't change it so make the most of it!
Tom

Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
win92
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win92 »

I'm just waiting for the wife to get home then we'll travel 3 hrs north to the cottage. Way up here beside Algonquin Park
Light a fire around 9.30 to warm the place up and hope we get snowed in for Monday the worst part will be the stuff on the windsheildfor 3 hrs But nothin to do but relax for 2 days
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

We have been getting rain and snow alternately. This weekend in southern New England is expected to get a lot of rain between tonight and tommorrow night. As far as ice fishing is concerned,half of the ice on the lake is gone. I can cruise much of it in my canoe if I want to do so.

All in all we didn't have a really bad winter. More rain than snow which really makes it miserable.
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

It was cold here this last week as well. The worst part has been the wind. We're over 7000' up and the wind gets a good run at us on these high plains.
I can sympathize with you cowboykell. That's why I started calving my old cows closer to 1 april. Still freeze some. I had my first calf out of the heifers about 3:00 a.m. It was a calfsickle when I found it but the kids brought it around with the hair driers and towels by the wood stove. Got up and out to the barn by noon.
We've got snow piled up high in the brushlines from drifting(12'plus) and it'll be tough to find a spot for a cow to calve if we don't warm up and melt some. Gotta turn spring sometime.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

We are to get another foot tonight and tomorrow with a wind of about 50 mph. A real nor-easter. We already have over 10 feet this winter, not a record but close. Good thing I bought a new snowblower this year, my old one would never have made it. I'll just sit back ,keep the fires going and clean rifles until it slowes down and then start cleaning up the snow again.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Bitmap
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bitmap »

Jason_W wrote: I can deal with the cold, it's more a matter of the road conditions getting to the lake. And not parking where the plow will bury your car.
You yankees just don't know how to drive in the winter.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

No complianing about the weather here this year , yet :wink:
Phil
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

We're closing in on the all-time snow record here this winter in central
Maine. I can walk up the snowbank and onto the roof of my garage.
I just finished clearing an ice dam from my roof - the first time that's
happened in almost 15 years. My arm is sore from all of the shovelling.
I don't let the weather get to me - nothing I can do about it!

That said, I'm looking forward to spring this year. :-)
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

snowing here now. all the rain and snow this month is screwing up the trout fishung on the river. not high and FAST.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

It is 5:31 pm, Saturday afternoon and it is one dad-gummed howler out there. Can hardly see 10 feet in front of your face out there. Been puttering around the house, watched Clint Eastwood's Pale Rider and look forward to cracking out the hot apple cider this evening after a good meal. This afternoon, our area broke its all time record for a winter's snowfall, and it shows no sign of abating. I have to say that it just doesn't get better than this.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

You said it Kirk :!: :!:
Just had a great meal but it ain't apple cider I'm gonna crack now :lol: :!: :lol: :!:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Borregos wrote:You said it Kirk :!: :!:
Just had a great meal but it ain't apple cider I'm gonna crack now :lol: :!: :lol: :!:
Well ..... if I had my druthers, I'd be cracking out a bottle of Glenmorangie 'Traditional' Scotch, but it is so dad-gummed expensive that I've yet to make the big purchase. By the way, supper was a stuffer. Now I got to install two wicks in two lanterns in case the power goes off.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

KirkD wrote:It is 5:31 pm, Saturday afternoon and it is one dad-gummed howler out there. Can hardly see 10 feet in front of your face out there. Been puttering around the house, watched Clint Eastwood's Pale Rider and look forward to cracking out the hot apple cider this evening after a good meal. This afternoon, our area broke its all time record for a winter's snowfall, and it shows no sign of abating. I have to say that it just doesn't get better than this.
Kirk, You are a very positive guy. But..........come and try this disgusting SE Pa. weather and you enjoy this, I'll spot you an '86. Rain...rain ...heavy rain........wind....40 miles an hour........more rain...more wind......I HATE it. I'm so worked up over it, I'm gonna kick the dog. Missed out on a silhouette shoot tomorrow, because of 30-40 mile an hour winds. I like to shoot but not that bad. I bet 4 guys show up---------------Now the snow, I could live with that---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Sixgun wrote: Kirk, You are a very positive guy. But..........come and try this disgusting SE Pa. weather and you enjoy this, I'll spot you an '86.
By gum! For an '86, especially if I got to keep it, I'd enjoy just about anything, including standing naked in a swamp all night with a billion mosquitoes.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Kirk would you do it even if it was a north woods cedar swamp?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

JerryB wrote:Kirk would you do it even if it was a north woods cedar swamp?
Jerry, those are the only kind I know. Now, I wouldn't do it in the winter .... a naked feller standing all night on a frozen swamp in the middle of a howling blizzard ain't going to be in a position to enjoy his free '86 the next morning. :D

P.S. I got my little John Deere lawn tractor with the 40 inch snow blower all fueled up to blow out the lane in the morning so we can get to church. For the first 10 years here, we used to shovel our lane out by hand, all 145 yards of it. Sometimes, it would take us 2 days. I'd even enjoy THAT again for an '86! (although standing naked all night in the middle of a northern swamp with a billion mosquitoes would be a lot easier).
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Kirk,we got a call today that we won't be having church in the morning because of the snow and ice up on the mountain where our church is.I reckon we'll have some church here at the house,no '86 either.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

A major reason why I left Ohio in 1980 was the -0 temps and blizzards and I never looked back.Two weeks ago the peachtrees started blooming on my property in Bama. :twisted: Image
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Gihon
Levergunner

Post by Gihon »

Jason_W...... Kindly remove Vermont from your location - You're embarrasing the rest of !!!!!!!!!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

We have had a mild, yet a wet winter. A couple of small snows but it seems we have been missed by the worst weather this year. Sorry for those with all the white stuff. I am grateful for the lack of snow though.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Billy Boy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Billy Boy »

I have to concur with rjohns94. We live on a mountaintop in northern New Jersey and have had a relatively mild winter so far. 3-4 good snow was it for us this year. I was starting to think that global warming stuff was kicking in!
Just went to Gander Mtn yesterday to order my new boat for huntin' and fishin'. My Labs can't wait to learn to retrieve out of a boat! Hello Spring!
BB

:wink:
You can get alot further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone!
Al Capone
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

Well I am from Michigan. And I am really tired of this snow.
We got about 1.5 feet of it on ground and it is not going away
any time soon. :(
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Clearing snow is starting to get old. But I tell you I have had more fun this winter grabbing the marlin 39 and going out snowshoeing and plinking every saturday and sunday. Bought the kids snowshoes for Chrismas and it has been well worth it.

We usually start tapping trees this week . The trees will run good this year with all this snow on the ground. But too much snow makes it a pain to collect sap. Start with a snowmoble and sled and finish in the mud with the ATV.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Yeah, it's been TERRIBLE this year. Right now we're in the middle of a cold snap. Temps clear down to 62* just about every night. Just about had to put another blanket on the bed and thought about closing the window... On the other hand, the summers here are horrid too. Highs clear up into the mid 80's. Nasty stuff, I tell you!
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I know people probably tire of this but I don't mind the cold and snow. In fact I hate to see winter ending a bit. It seems to me where I live we didn't have a really snowy winter. We had a lot of warm and rainy spells in between the snowstorms. That makes more of a mess than anything else. In fact I pulled down a tree ladder from my favorite stand today. The swamp was overflowing and the rivulets running downhill made it look like a stream rather than the woodland I usually go into.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

We had snow for aout thirty hours. That doesn't happen around here very often. I have to say I was enjoying it. Got out and had some fun with the Jeep and then spent the rest of the day watching movies and doing some reloading. It'll all be gone by the end of the week.

Took this picture Sat. am.

I must be wierd. I like the snow :D
8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

2ndovc wrote:I must be wierd. I like the snow :D
8)

Well, count me in the weird section then too. Here we have to climb up to over 15,000 feet to get any. I did make it up to Minnesota in February this year. Got snow and cold aplenty. It was great! One of the hardest things for me, living near the equator, is the lack of seasonal changes. We go from wet to damp to wet again. From green to greener, perhaps a few flowers tossed in. In '06 we were up in the US for a few months. It was great to see the summer/fall/winter for once. It even snowed for us (kind of strange for SW MO)
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Well, someone enjoys all the nasty weather you guys have been having. I suspect this must be Kirk's dog!

http://www.maniacworld.com/dog-having-a ... -snow.html

Cut the lawn for the second time this season today. We started out cold (high 20's) this morning, but it ended at almost 60 degrees and sunny. Spring has sprung in SC, and the Bradford Pears are about to pop! :D

Sorry guys!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Well, here's some actual photos of my dog (purebreed 120 pound Maremma, bred for protecting livestock from wolves) enjoying napping in the snow.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Baaa? :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

KirkD wrote:Well, here's some actual photos of my dog (purebreed 120 pound Maremma, bred for protecting livestock from wolves) enjoying napping in the snow.
Looks similar to the Great Pyrenees. Is it a related breed?
Paul - in Pereira

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Ironsides, when that dog is curled up sleeping, it can easily be mistaken for a sheep. They tend to nap a little ways off to the side, leading a wolf to target it, thinking it is easy prey. When it closes in, it realizes it has made a terrible mistake. This fellow's brother had killed two full grown Timber Wolves in a 2 on 1 situation. Both were killed immediately by the Maremma sinking its teeth through the skull into the wolf's brain. There was no sign of damage on the Maremma.

Paul, it is a close breed to the Great Pyrenees and both do the same job.
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

Sixgun wrote: Kirk, You are a very positive guy. But..........come and try this disgusting SE Pa. weather and you enjoy this, I'll spot you an '86. Rain...rain ...heavy rain........wind....40 miles an hour........more rain...more wind......I HATE it. I'm so worked up over it, I'm gonna kick the dog. Missed out on a silhouette shoot tomorrow, because of 30-40 mile an hour winds. I like to shoot but not that bad. I bet 4 guys show up---------------Now the snow, I could live with that---------Sixgun
I don't know which I'd prefer, the rain you got, or the foot of snow we got in the opposite corner of the state. Decent weather all last week, then come the weekend when I want to get out of the house and do a little shooting, we get dumped on, again. I'm wore out and tired of winter (and it hasn't been that rough of a year).

~Michael
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Everybody talks about the weather but no one ever does anything about it!!

:lol:

I just figure that any day that I am on this side of the grass is a good day!

Wm
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I've had enough. We have about 4 feet in the yard, and bigger
piles and drifts. I removed an ice dam yesterday off of the back of the
house, and figured I'd check the gutters all around. On the front
of the house and the back of the garage, I snowshoed up the
piles (from shovelling the roof!), bent DOWN, and cleaned out the
gutters. 15 years in central Maine, and that's the first time I've
done that!

Time for spring. Even the old-timers are about tired of it. :-)
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Well here in ohio this winter don't even compare to some of the ones we have had in the past. People get used to a few easy winters and then buy little "cute" sporty cars and when we have a storm like this past weekend it's the end of the world :shock: . One of the baywatch babes I work with snickered when I bought my Jeep Liberty a few years ago---jeee why would anyone want a jeep?? :? :? .
All of the workers were plowed in the parking lot saturday and had to dig themselves out so they could go home. Jim.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Ha ha!

I am a Northerner who had enough, so I moved to GA 5 years ago!!!

The daffodils have been out for two weeks, and the trees started budding last week. The Bradford Pair trees are in blossom, so soon it will be time for crappie fishing!!!

68 here today...

Jealous?