changing out a stock - pistol grip to straight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

changing out a stock - pistol grip to straight

Post by rjohns94 »

On a Marlin 1895, with a pistol grip, will a straight stock grip just go on as easy I think it would? I plan on changing the lever. Any fault in this plan?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Re: changing out a stock - pistol grip to straight

Post by rbertalotto »

I have an article on my web site where I did just that to a Marlin 336.

You need a stock, lever and trigger insert or with a file or milling machine, you can convert your curved trigger insert to straight.

http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/marlin ... -more.html

http://www.rvbprecision.com
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If you don't have access to a milling machine, Mike, then you'll need to swap someone for their lower tang/receiver metal (and, no, the factory won't sell anybody that part), since not only is the lever & wood curved into a PG on your stock, the lower rear tang is also built up into a curve to support both - and for conversion to a straight grip that build up must be removed or replaced.

alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Pete44ru wrote:If you don't have access to a milling machine, Mike, then you'll need to swap someone for their lower tang/receiver metal (and, no, the factory won't sell anybody that part), since not only is the lever & wood curved into a PG on your stock, the lower rear tang is also built up into a curve to support both - and for conversion to a straight grip that build up must be removed or replaced.
This man knows of what he speaks...
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Ah. Makes sense. I guess I will pass on this possible project.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

It's been done on Marlins before, but like mentioned above, you'll need lever, lower tang and stock. If you could find someone who has a straight grip and wants a pistol grip to trade the parts out with, it could be done fairly cheap.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
Billy Boy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Billy Boy »

It's not as difficult as has been let on. It can actually be done with a band saw and a good scribe!
I did the same swap on a 336 that started life as a JC Penney 3040. One of the fellas at Marlin Owners actually GAVE me a modified tang that I simply needed to have blued. I bought a used S/G stock set from another board member and a new Large Loop Lever from David Clay in Texas and voila'!

Hope this helped!
BB

:wink:
You can get alot further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone!
Al Capone