best 22 mag for the $$$$

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

best 22 mag for the $$$$

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I have been looking for a 22 mag for quite some time
want a 9422m...but cant find a decent one thats not a big bag of money..
Anyone have any experience with Savage Model: 93 BTVS?
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: best 22 mag for the $$$$

Post by 2ndovc »

The Savage is hard to beat for the price. Number One stepson has a MkII .22LR and it is surprisingly accurate for a $140 rifle.
i was looking at those 93s when I got a super deal on a CZ.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

To each his own I guess but I have a Savage M10 and the biggest turn off for me on it is the Acutrigger. It feels like wet spaghetti letting go. As far as a rifle goes the CZ .22 Mag is 10 times the rifle the Savage is but that's just me.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I have several .22mags but my absolute fav in terms of accuracy and fun is my Remington 597mag. That gun will flat out shoot. I free floated the barrel on it, put some texture on the stock which also strengthened it up some, topped it with a Nikon ProStaff 3-9 with BDC and that baby will flat out get the job done on small game and target shooting.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

You need the Henry 22mag lever. THey are on sale for $355 at the local feed store. I have seen those Savage's in left hand too. They are tempting. Nice looking rifles.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Rube Burrows wrote:I have several .22mags but my absolute fav in terms of accuracy and fun is my Remington 597mag. That gun will flat out shoot. I free floated the barrel on it, put some texture on the stock which also strengthened it up some, topped it with a Nikon ProStaff 3-9 with BDC and that baby will flat out get the job done on small game and target shooting.
I will look into that 597.....didnt even think of it!
3leggedturtle wrote:You need the Henry 22mag lever. THey are on sale for $355 at the local feed store. I have seen those Savage's in left hand too. They are tempting. Nice looking rifles.
I held one the other day and you r right ...thay are very tempting....
$389 at our local shop...and right next to it was a rossi carbine 357 large loop
for not much more....but I had self control....and did not buy either....yet! :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

If you want a Henry and you see a Henry, buy it. I understand that ALL production capability ceased with Sandy and I don't know when they might be back in production. Some models are already hard to get in some areas.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Stevens 305
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I have a Marlin in 22mag that will put 9 out of 10 shots in a
dime-sized group at 50 yards, and the 10th was my fault.
(Yes, I was shooting off of a bench and taking my time! :lol: )
It's the plain Jane version with the birch stock, but it shoots
like nobody's business with an inexpensive BSA scope on it.
In the hands of somebody who can really shoot, with some
really good glass, and selected ammunition, I bet it would do
better still.

That CZ mentioned above has a very good reputation. i wouldn't mind
trying one of those myself!

-Stretch
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

For the best bang for you buck, I'd say CZz. My CZ 455 22WMR isn't a whole lot more accurate than the most of the Marlin or Savage WMR's I've owned, but the workmanship and looks are a good bit ahead.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Look into the older model (1990's vintage) Marlin's. IMO, the newer Savage and Marlin offerings can't hold a candle to them in the fit, finish and feel departments. Had one back then and while it didn't shoot the smallest groups is was a dang fine gun. Handled some of the newer offerings and they felt very lame in comparison. I'll also second a 597M. Hunting partner had one and it was stone cold reliable and with the lack of punch the .22m has, quick follow up shots are a big plus. Accuracy was on the positive side of good.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I tried to buy a used Savage 93 and clones so I could try it before I bought it. They were inconsistent, picky on cartridge choices too. One shot ok with one ammo, another would prefer something else but none would keep 5 shots in a 1/2 " @ 50 yds like I set my goal for. That is a tall order for a production rifle that is under $500 anyway. I ended up with a Remington 597M. For a semi-auto, I was surprised that it shoots four different brands/weights of ammo into that 1/2" I was looking for. They are at gun shows around here for $500 but I held out for one that was $325. You have to keep your eye open for one.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Don't forget the Ruger 96's; five minutes and a spare barrel, and you have a .17 HMR as well. If you keep the original sights (barrel-mounted) you won't even have to re-sight-in... 8)

I eventually got a second one so I have the .22 Mag and the .17 HMR. Same magazines, etc., too.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I'ld suggest the Henry. I don't have any experience with one in 22 mag, but we just did recently get one with the octagon barrel in 22 lr, and that is one fine little 22. I can see no reason the 22 mag wouldn't be just as good.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

AJMD429 wrote:Don't forget the Ruger 96's; five minutes and a spare barrel, and you have a .17 HMR as well. If you keep the original sights (barrel-mounted) you won't even have to re-sight-in... 8)

I eventually got a second one so I have the .22 Mag and the .17 HMR. Same magazines, etc., too.
If i cound find one for under $450 i would add it. They have gone thru the roof in price. Nice to hear the 597's are ok in 22mag, but i hav only seen 2 and they well were over $500. AJMD429, I saw one at GM for $269 in May '07, went back 4 days later and it was gone, have kicked myself for not grabbing that one.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I know you are talking rifles, but, I have say barring my 9422M, the Single Six with both cylinders is the most useful .22 mag I have....It shoots better than I can with both cylinders....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Another vote for the Henry the Golden Boy in particular. When I get a 22 mag it will be this one.

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

Rihmfire, I have that gun as well as a Henry in 22 mag. If you ever want to shoot them just get in touch. The range is 10 miles from my house :-)

Walt (in Winter Springs)
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

RIHMFIRE - there are several Remington 597.22 mags on gunbroker.com, priced from $360 w/3 magazines to $500. Interestingly all look in very good + condition. Guess the 22 mag ammo price keeps many from hunting/plinking too much. Check 'em out.

Edit - Sorry, I forgot to type "Remington 597". I'm so stupid some times.
Last edited by GoatGuy on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Hobie, et al,

http://henryrepeating.com/news-recovery.cfm
BAYONNE, NJ, Nov. 20, 2012

Henry Repeating On Way To Full Recovery

We are pleased to report that we are well on our way to a full recovery from the significant damage sustained from Hurricane Sandy. More than 100 pieces of manufacturing machinery that were damaged by salt water are on track to be repaired or replaced by December 1st. We expect to be fully operational by the beginning of December and have already begun shipping Henry rifles to our distributors.

Anthony Imperato, President of the company states, “This is a painstaking process. We’ve had to replace motors, circuit boards, pumps, coolant tanks, and more. Some of our most expensive sophisticated machinery was damaged beyond repair and had to be replaced outright. We are getting through this with the help of some very talented people including our own staff and we’re on track to emerge stronger with increased manufacturing capacity”.

We have been blessed to have had great support from of our key vendors, such as Ron Helsel from Lesleh Precision, Michael DiMarino of the Linda Tool Company, Joseph Gianetti and the great service staff at Yamazen, the talented technicians at Alta Machine, Scott Seibel of Marin Seibel Electric, the Dibella Contracting company from Bayonne, and the JP Patti Roofing Company to name a few though there are many others.
ImageImage

Shawn
Last edited by Hagler on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

RIHMFIRE wrote:
Rube Burrows wrote:I have several .22mags but my absolute fav in terms of accuracy and fun is my Remington 597mag. That gun will flat out shoot. I free floated the barrel on it, put some texture on the stock which also strengthened it up some, topped it with a Nikon ProStaff 3-9 with BDC and that baby will flat out get the job done on small game and target shooting.
I will look into that 597.....didnt even think of it!
3leggedturtle wrote:You need the Henry 22mag lever. THey are on sale for $355 at the local feed store. I have seen those Savage's in left hand too. They are tempting. Nice looking rifles.
I held one the other day and you r right ...thay are very tempting....
$389 at our local shop...and right next to it was a rossi carbine 357 large loop
for not much more....but I had self control....and did not buy either....yet! :wink:

Here is my 597mag in .22mag. Its been a very good gun and I shoot it a ton.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm30 ... 1025-1.jpg

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm30 ... 1020-1.jpg
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

A vote for the Henry from me, Ive had lots of 22lr. & 22 mags in levers, but only 1 22 mag.
in a Henry, its the best, next will be a 22lr.

ollogger
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hobie, said production has stopped, better grab one now!
Last edited by Old Savage on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

1894c

Post by 1894c »

BlaineG wrote:I know you are talking rifles, but, I have say barring my 9422M, the Single Six with both cylinders is the most useful .22 mag I have....It shoots better than I can with both cylinders....
what BlaineG said...the Single-Six is a great choice... :)
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Savage Model 25 Bolt Gun
Rem. 597 semi auto
Tauras 94 8 shot DA revolver
Hi Standard derringer
Ruger Single Six
I like the caliber.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Any of ones that the others have suggested are good to go but if you are looking to have a varmint gun find out the accuracy potential of the rifle first. That round works fine for me in pistol & rifle, I use it for shooting predators, with bullet choices from 30to50 grs you will be happy. danny