Savage 99 to return !!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
azrednek
Levergunner

Savage 99 to return !!!

Post by azrednek »

I recently wrote Savage about the similarity between the new Marlin bolt action rifle looking like a copy of theirs. I suggested if Marlin is copying Savage's rifles they could level the field by bringing back the Model 99. From drawing board to dealer's shelf may be from a few to several years but I'm glad it is coming back.

20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Hope he wasn't just blowing smoke!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

COOL ! I hope there's a rotary mag, along with a clip-fed model for those that prefer it.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yea, I would like to see it come out in the old Winchester calibers like the 38-55, 32-40,30-30, and the 25-35. Even if they just made 5K apiece in each caliber. Oh what the heck, lets take this a step further and add the straight stock, octagon barrel and d&t ed for a tang sight.-------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Straight from the owner of Savage. Ron Coburn is not only the Chairman & CEO, he's the owner. If he's saying watch for the 99, there must be something to it.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I heard from one who "is in the know" that the rifle will feature the rotary mag. Hope they go all the way and offer the .358. I like sixgun's recommendations. 1886.
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

I sure hope this happens. I'm starting a 99 Savage 358 Cal. fund right now just in case. Would be my ultimate elk rifle.
Ridgerunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ridgerunner »

glad I picked up my 99 in .358 last year!
Confederately yours,

Ridgerunner
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The Savage Mdl 99 is one I've wanted for a long time. Maybe now I'll be able to get one.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Wow, that is good news. The original magazine would be a very nice touch. I always thought the arrangement of the box magazine detracted from the lines of the rifle. I could be happy with a staggered column, blind magazine as well.
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

Boys,
The sweetest little Savage 99 in the world is in the lobby of Savage Arms. It is a prototype, made years ago, that is scaled down in every dimension to perfectly fit the .32-20 cartridge. The also have a military prototype that has a bulbous rotary magazine to hold ten cartridges, similar in profile to the magazine on a Johnson rifle. Looks just like a standard 99, only pregnant.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Oh, if only they would do a detatchable box magazine that would hold more than 4...

I'd give a left nut for a 99 MBR...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Jeff Quinn wrote:scaled down in every dimension to perfectly fit the .32-20 cartridge
Oh, I want one of those!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Old Ironsights wrote:Oh, if only they would do a detatchable box magazine that would hold more than 4...

Sounds like you might want to be careful what you wish for!! :lol:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I would love to have that little 99 in .32-20 or .256 Remington Mag....
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

jnyork wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:Oh, if only they would do a detatchable box magazine that would hold more than 4...

Why? They were both "disconnected" a good while ago... I'd give one up with no problem. :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Same here Old Irons :wink: :lol:
Bet we never see'm over here :(
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Hobie,
You have a line on a new development - the .256 REMINGTON Magnum?
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Kilroy6644
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Kilroy6644 »

Old Ironsights wrote:
jnyork wrote:

Why? They were both "disconnected" a good while ago... I'd give one up with no problem. :wink:
Wait a minute- you said a left nut; you didn't specify whose. Even if you don't use them, don't be so quick to give them up. It'll throw your balance off. :lol:
KILROY WAS HERE

"It's too bad that whole families have to be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs."
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

airedaleman wrote:Hobie,
TYPO!!!!! :oops: Make that a WINCHESTER!

That comes from trying to arrange to see 3 Colt Cobras and 2 S&W M43s on the phone while the wife is calling you and the dog is barking... IOW, total confusion! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The one thing I hope is that Savage will make them slim and trim like they were before. And without any additional gimmicks or gizmos to clutter up the simplicity of the gun.
Must have iron sights, and I want one in either 308 or 30-30.

Joey likes the common cartridges. Easier to get ammo and components for.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Hobie wrote:
airedaleman wrote:Hobie,
TYPO!!!!! :oops: Make that a WINCHESTER!

That comes from trying to arrange to see 3 Colt Cobras and 2 S&W M43s on the phone while the wife is calling you and the dog is barking... IOW, total confusion! :lol:
I know the feeling well. And the confusion only gets worse as we age...
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Man, I hope this is true. I would be thrilled!

-Tutt
old goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by old goat »

...Speaking of Savage 99s wanted, why not a reissue of the saddle gun in 250 Savage and 300 Savage.

...old goat
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Anyone else notice, but to me, it seems like an unusually large number of new guns being made lately, are leverguns?

Maybe something is starting to sink in.
reddnek
Levergunner

Post by reddnek »

I don't care which magazine or grip. If it comes in .250 Savage I lust for one of those.
GIT 'R done
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

I forgot to put my vote in for the 250 Savage as well as the 358.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

handirifle wrote:Anyone else notice, but to me, it seems like an unusually large number of new guns being made lately, are leverguns?

Writing on the wall.

Gun Mfgs are looking at the next 4-8 years and comparing our lot to Oz... where leverguns are about the only "repeater" you can buy. :evil:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I think you can bet it will be 308 and 243.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

KWK wrote:
Jeff Quinn wrote:scaled down in every dimension to perfectly fit the .32-20 cartridge
Oh, I want one of those!
+1 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

My vote goes to the 250 Savage, 300 Savage and 358 Winchester for chamberings. Straight grip, rotary magazine and safety by the lever like the originals. With this safety, you can "de-cock" the rifle for storage which is a nice feature. I don't know if you can do that with the top tang safety models.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Re the .32-20:
I recall seeing a photograph of Arthur Savage's prototype for what eventually became the Model 1895. The firearm pictured was chambered for the .32-20. I wonder if it is the one in Savage's reception area?
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Sixgun wrote:Yea, I would like to see it come out in the old Winchester calibers like the 38-55, 32-40,30-30, and the 25-35. Even if they just made 5K apiece in each caliber. Oh what the heck, lets take this a step further and add the straight stock, octagon barrel and d&t ed for a tang sight.-------Sixgun
OH, YEAH!! :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Since that mini-99 isn't too likely, I'll second kaschi's motion, although I'd be happy to see the .375 Win replace the .358 in this lineup.

Did Savage have to lengthen the action for the 2.8" cartridges, or was there enough room in the original design for them? If a longer, higher pressure cartridge required a bigger receiver, I'd much prefer they go with the earlier chamberings, to keep the gun a bit trimmer.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

handirifle wrote:Anyone else notice, but to me, it seems like an unusually large number of new guns being made lately, are leverguns?

Maybe everyone wants to beat Winchesters announcement for the return of the 94 in 2009. That's ok in my book, we all will have many to choose from. Jeff Quinn can sort through the mess for all of us, and then we can buy them up! :lol: :lol:
azrednek
Levergunner

Post by azrednek »

Allot of good suggestions. Now is the time to start writing Mr Coburn and let him know what you want before it goes into production. My guess is these will appear chambered in 243, 308 and the new short mags as they will sell quicker and easier than a nostalgic chambering. Simply put Mr Coburn is going to look at the bottom line, see what calibers generate the most $$ before considering anything like octagon barrels, 19th or early 20th century calibers. If he gets enough correspondence he may consider a nostalgic model and caliber like 250 Savage or 32-20.

Another plus to writing to Mr Coburn is you will get their newest catalog.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

azrednek: BINGO!
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Not to be a party-pooper, but John Haviland (he writes for Rifle and Handloader) recently posted this at 24hourCampfire.com:
Exactly one year ago Mr. Coburn told me the Savage 99 would never come back because the design of the rifle required too much hand-fitting.
Given the letter posted earlier, presumably Coburn's engineers have made a few adjustments.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

make mine with the old src stock. with a 19'' barrel, chambered in the .308wcf. and brass rotary magazine.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

KWK wrote:Not to be a party-pooper, but John Haviland (he writes for Rifle and Handloader) recently posted this at 24hourCampfire.com:
Exactly one year ago Mr. Coburn told me the Savage 99 would never come back because the design of the rifle required too much hand-fitting.
Given the letter posted earlier, presumably Coburn's engineers have made a few adjustments.
If the 99 IS reintroduced, I think we'll see serious adjustments in the price, too!
old goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by old goat »

...If the parts are made using the EDM technology, there would be very little hand fitting.

...old goat
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

It's not obvious to me why so much hand fitting would be required in the original design. Certainly, the design can altered to make it more economical; witness the Ruger 96, which is based on the 99.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I have a Savage 1899 TD in 250 -3000. It is sweet. It is compact and a pleasure to carry and shoot. :)
"That'll Be The Day"
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

The following quote is also said to be from Coburn:
We are in fact taking a look at an early (1923) model 99 reintroduction that would be completely retooled using sophisticated computer 3-dimensional modeling to remove the "fit and file". It is just exploratory without a full commitment until I see the design/tooling/method of manufacturing/component costs and market receptivity.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

I don't want to upset anyone, but to me, the 99 looks too long. Is it just me? A lot of people tell folks not to get a BLR in 30-06 or similar, cause it's too long and to me, the 99 loos every bit as long.

The action seems short, at least the visible portion of it, but it sits quite a bit forward of the lever.

I like the smooth lines of it and the pointy bullet availability and their inherant advantages.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

handirifle wrote:I don't want to upset anyone, but to me, the 99 looks too long. Is it just me? A lot of people tell folks not to get a BLR in 30-06 or similar, cause it's too long and to me, the 99 loos every bit as long.

The action seems short, at least the visible portion of it, but it sits quite a bit forward of the lever.

I like the smooth lines of it and the pointy bullet availability and their inherant advantages.
I often had the same impression. It ain't so. Feels different from a Winchester 94 but not "long". Easier to carry as the receiver bottom is rounded. MUCH better than later 94s with the sharp corners.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

old goat wrote:...If the parts are made using the EDM technology, there would be very little hand fitting.

...old goat
I think modern manufacturing techniques just haven't lived up to the promise they once had. But I agree, given modern technology, they should be able to do it fairly easily.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Having just torn into my 99 1960 vintage Carbine I didn't see much that looked to be hand fitted..The mag rotor looked like it was die cast aluminum with a few machine marks.. The sear was a stamping..so was the carrier spindle support..The trigger is hung with a pin and meshes with the sear via a yoke & pin..I didnt take the sliding safety out but I don't see where much hand fitting would be involved there..Mostly what looked like what would need adjustment was the lever to where it contacts it's seat in the frame( I think the adjustment is called the Lever bite) However the bolt looks like it would require some hand tweaking to properly nest home in the receiver.. I can see that the receiver would take a gangs of machine operations to be made..What with investment castings being what they are today I'd wager a bunch of machine operations could be eliminated there..I don't know how they made the levers previously but however they make the new ones, I hope they wind up looking like the previous ones..