Reticle alignment tool - anyone use this...?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Reticle alignment tool - anyone use this...?

Post by AJMD429 »

This looks like it could actually work.

http://parabola-llc.com/

If so, it might be nice...!

Everything I've tried always 'seems' vertically-aligned, then the next hour or day when I pick up the firearm, it is always 'off' just a bit.

Of course some scopes just seem like the horizontal and vertical crosshairs aren't even exactly 90-degrees apart, even though I doubt they are actually 'off', because it would be pretty easy to make them perfect in that regard.

Maybe it is just my eyes... :oops:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Reticle alignment tool - anyone use this...?

Post by 6pt-sika »

I haven't but if I ever build a honest to goodness bench gun or 1000 yard gun I can certainly see the need for this .

With the majority of my present shooting being inside 200 yards the need isn't as great . But I can imagine how it'll F with you out past 400 or 500 yards !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

However if you use the thing you need a bubble level on your scope for when you have it in the bags to make sure you're not canting the gun any after the fact !
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Good tool, but not one I see the need for. Since I'm only a "kitchen sink" gunsmith, who's sighted in very few scopes... (I think 4 or 5 over my life of shooting with scopes), I've always been able to tell if the scope (and it's reticle) is aligned over the bore of the rifle. I think that it's more difficult to tell if you're canting the rifle when you try to adjust it. If I were a professional, I'd definitely have one. If for nothing else than to have a "tool" to demonstrate that my installation was correct, ergo, saying in soco voce, "Mister Stupid Gun-owner, you don't know how to hold a rifle correctly, so OF COURSE it looks out of level!"

If you, like I did yesterday, install a scope, then fire some test rounds to "zero" it and find that you're 3" high and 4" left of the bull. Doesn't adjusting the windage knob 'x' clicks to the right move the POI to the left, and doesn't move the height, you've got the scope level.

Or maybe I should shut up. :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Griff wrote: Doesn't adjusting the windage knob 'x' clicks to the right move the POI to the left, and doesn't move the height, you've got the scope level.

Or maybe I should shut up. :P :lol:

You are correct to a degree . This whole thing isn't going to be noticed until you shoot further distances then most of us normally do and alot of it so you know it's the sight settings and not you .

We have a bunch of 1,000 yard guys in our shop on a regular basis and they "can be" some real ANAL guys . But different things matter to different people .
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

A tool like that will help some people who like that kind of gadget.
It looks like there is much room for alignment error with it though.
I subscribe to the theory that the trained human eye is one of the
most accurate instruments known to man.
What happened to "just eye ball it"??? :?
If it looks good it most likely is.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Over the years, I have tried a couple of reticule aligment gizmos, but none proved any better than going outside, mounting the rifle to the shoulder and aligning the reticule by hand and eye. Tighten the rings just enough to allow the scope to be turned, but not so loose it won't stay put until the rings are tighened all the way. In some makes of ring, like the Weaver, the reticule will turn a smidge when the rings are cinched down. You have to compensate for this in your visual alignment.

I have mounted a hundred or more scopes this way and it has worked very well, so I won't be buying this gizmo.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

So far, I've just 'eyeballed' it, and of course as I said, an hour later, I pick up the same gun (or my son does), and it now appears 'crooked' :| ...

One thing I tried that actually SEEMED to offer precision was to put the gun buttstock-down, muzzle to the ceiling, on a piece of graph-paper, so that the stock is exactly parallel to one direction of lines, and then shine a Mag-light or similar light through the scope, from the objective-end. Usually one can see the crosshairs on the paper with some clarity (room lights out), and turn scope until the crosshairs are ALSO parallel to the paper's axis.

Haven't officially posted on the technique, but so far it seems to work.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "