How do you load your rifle?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

How do you load your rifle?

Post by 86er »

Do you put one in the chamber, close the bolt and then fill the magazine or do you load the magazine and then work the action to chamber one? Why? Some rifles like a 98 Mauser don't afford a choice so disregard those for this discussion.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Derenius
Levergunner 1.0

Re: How do you load your rifle?

Post by Derenius »

Well, for me it completely depends on what I´m doing. I almost never load one in the chamber, just because it´s more of a hassle doing so in a levergun. If I´m in the woods sitting on my treestump watching for moose, I load all in the magazine, work the action once, with the safety on. Then I put one more in the mag to top it off.
If I´m at the range, I just put as many as I intend to send downrange in the mag, and then keep the safety on until I am about to send the first shot downrange.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

One in the chamber and then engage the safety or lower the hammer. That is how my father and grandfather showed me while hunting. I do it now with any firearm that has that option and teach my children the same. My opinion is that if your actively hunting or carrying then your firearm is ready for its intended purpose.
My hunting rifles that have a safety have those engaged and my ccw firearms are of the grip safety/trigger safety or revolver variety.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I'm a "load the magazine, work action to chamber a round" fellow when hunting. This way when I return to camp I just remove the round from the chamber and put back into magazine so there is no longer a round in the chamber and I don't have to mess with pocketing the round.

This may short me one possible round but I've never used more than 3 rounds at game, which would include a "finishing-off" shot, so in some 50 years of doing it this way it hasn't even come close to being an issue in a single instance.

And hey, if I'm after running bunnies where the shooting could get hot and heavy I'll fill her to the brim like all you fellers do.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Generally, it depends on the firearm. Somne like the 1911, shouldn't have one dropped in the chamber, but be fed from the magazine (although I have). But, I've been known with either the 1873 Uberti, the Rossi 1892 or a Winchester mdl 94 to drop a single cartridge in from the top of the action and close the bolt.

Sometimes in CAS, a one shot reload it required. Since the rules require that the action be open at the end of any shooting string, I've practiced a "push the carrier down and drop one in the top on the '73" as it SEEMS faster than closing the bolt, feeding it in the loading gate then racking the action. (And with the Rossi '92 before I got the '73). At one of the public ranges in CA I used to frequent, you were not allowed to load more than one round in any rifle. (Pistols were ok, and why most .22 shooters hung out on the pistol side), so it became habit to just put the round in the chamber and close the bolt.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Generally load the magazine. I rarely chamber a round unless I'm truly about to shoot. I single load small game rounds, leaving the magazine full of regular loads. Thats about the only time I have a round chambered, unless in thick stuff or have seen game I figure I'm about to shoot.

Sometimes I just stick a small game round between the fingers of my carry hand, so all I have to do is open the action and drop it in. I use them for snakes in summer, and small game/grouse in the fall.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I carry with a cold chamber in truck & on horse soon as I hit the ground I go hot chamber loading chamber via magazine with my levers. danny
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I load the magazine and feed from there.

I sometimes but do not always top off the magazine afterward, but I always chamber the first round off the stack so that there is one ready in the pipe.

I've hade incidents in the past where ammunition jammed up and was even damaged beyond usability by dropping cartridges into the ejection port and running the bolt home on them. Only happened a time or three in the last 35 years, but why waste a perfectly good potential bulls-eye?

Well... unless you're laying in a ditch, it's dark, they're comin', and you've lost your magazine or your hands are shaking so hard you can't do anything else...

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I'll have to ask my gun-bearer Jabari. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Fill the mag tube, put one in the chamber and then add another to the tube.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I have never seen any need whatsoever to have a round chambered when hunting. Only takes a second to jack one in after you have spotted the game and got into postition. Probably 90% or more of so-called hunting "accidents" are a result of someone have a round chambered whent there was no need to do so.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Honestly, whatever strikes my fancy at the time. In WA we spend lots of time on the logging roads, but, we can't have a loaded, cold chambered firearm in the rig, so, I carry one round in my hand, or in the stock slip-on. When I'm already out of the rig, and going for a walk, or to a stump, I'll load the mag, and then chamber one.....or, not....Like I said, I don't have much of a preference, except trying to be safe.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

jnyork wrote:I have never seen any need whatsoever to have a round chambered when hunting. Only takes a second to jack one in after you have spotted the game and got into position. Probably 90% or more of so-called hunting "accidents" are a result of someone have a round chambered when there was no need to do so.
I agree 99% of the time. I have had game spook when I was so close that racking the lever or opening or closing the bolt was enough noise to scare them off. That was my fault however because I didn't anticipate what the deer or elk was going to do. Generally I agree with keeping the chamber empty. Once I do load the levergun chamber I do not top off the magazine. Most of my leverguns hold up to 10 rounds, so topping off is not important.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Meeteetse wrote:
jnyork wrote:I have never seen any need whatsoever to have a round chambered when hunting. Only takes a second to jack one in after you have spotted the game and got into position. Probably 90% or more of so-called hunting "accidents" are a result of someone have a round chambered when there was no need to do so.
I agree 99% of the time. I have had game spook when I was so close that racking the lever or opening or closing the bolt was enough noise to scare them off. That was my fault however because I didn't anticipate what the deer or elk was going to do. Generally I agree with keeping the chamber empty. Once I do load the levergun chamber I do not top off the magazine. Most of my leverguns hold up to 10 rounds, so topping off is not important.
Were I hunt 99% of the game I've taken, from small game to large has been under 40 yards with several much closer. The deer found here in West Michigan on public land are extremely difficult to get close too, and if your jacking a round in by the time you see them 30 yards away your going to loose.
If I were on private land hunting from a blind over bait were the deer have names :wink: then it may be a little different but I would still have one in the chamber.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:I'll have to ask my gun-bearer Jabari. :wink:
:lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

With leverguns, I load five and jack one into the chamber. Good to go.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

with leverguns, I load the mag and leave the chamber empty in low probability areas, when climbing, or when I might slip and fall. When I get where I'm going I rack one in and put it on half cock. Then I'll be nice and quiet if I see game.

But I like hunting with the Handi-rifle, because I can carry it broken open and unloaded. It's quick and quiet to load, it can be done in one motion. Out here there are issues with carrying loaded guns in certain places, some say the forest roads must be unloaded. No one is really sure but it's easier be unloaded with a Handi.

At the range I rarely use the mag, I drop one into the receiver with Marlins or slip one into the chamber with Winchesters.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

In a lever gun with a magazine, load the mag, then lever a round in the chamber, lower the hammer and leave the mag one short. In my sharps, load one, place hammer on first click. In SxS, chamber two, leave gun broken until ready to shoot. In bolt gun, load mag, chamber from top of mag .. In my combat shotgun, load one in port, slide forward, load mag full. In 1911, load chamber from mag, top off mag. In da revolver, load all chambers. In a colt SA load one, skip one, load 4, hammer on empty chamber. In Ruger SA load all chambers
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I feel it's better to let the action load a round per normal instead of forcing the extractor to snap over a chambered round.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

at the bench....one at a time, in the chamber....

getting ready to hunt...through the loading gate...and then rack one in...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I load the mag tube and work the action. I don't have a semi-auto or bolt and I find that's easier for me and my leverguns.

As for the discussion about loaded or unloaded chambers while hunting. I supose you're right that when accidents happen there is a round in the chamber, I also found that 100% of my kills have occured when there was a round in it. When I'm hunting I don't want to make noise chambering a round no more than I want to take the time to chamber a round with my C.C. gun.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

With a levergun, when actually hunting alone and the appearance of game may be without warning and only for a few moments in the bush, I load a few in the mag tube, then jack one in, then lower the hammer to half cock. If I see a deer approaching, I will pull the hammer back just enough to take the pressure off the sear, then pull the trigger and hold it back while pulling the hammer all the way back, then release the trigger, then ease the hammer down to full cock ..... the idea is to be completely silent. Of course if every fraction of a second counts (i.e., the deer is running) then I just haul the hammer back, aim and fire.

When I used to hunt years ago with my 303 British Lee-Enfield, I'd load the box mag then bolt one into the chamber, but not close the bolt until I was ready to fire.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

COSteve wrote:I feel it's better to let the action load a round per normal instead of forcing the extractor to snap over a chambered round.

On lever guns, the extractor snaps over the rim no matter how you load them into the chamber. Its normal operation.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

With the 86 or BLR I drop one in the chamber then load the magazine. Well on the BLR insert a loaded mag. The 73 is more trouble to single load, (see Griff's post) so when I'm shooting it I load the magazine first then jack one in.

I once had a Mannlicher Schoener with the spool magazine which I tried to single load and since it wouldn't allow the extractor to snap over the rim, I missed a chance to kill a trophy muley. Had to dig a cleaning rod out of the truck to get the round out of the chamber.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Meeteetse wrote:
This strategy works when you are hunting in an area where you spot the game from longer distances and shoot from there. jnyork and Meeteetsie hail from Wyoming, Arizona and Texas according to their avatars.

I shot my first elk in Washington from about 20 feet while still hunting through a thicket. I wouldn't have had a prayer of getting a shot if my chamber had been empty. My first deer was shot at 12 yards, again, no time to load a round in the chamber. There have been some shots I have taken where there was a lot of time to jack a round into the chamber, but most of the animals I have shot were inside of 75 yards, and any extra movement or noise would have drawn attention to me. When you are hunting thick cover, the animals are keenly aware of anything that is close enough to be a threat, and an unloaded chamber is a recipe for failure.

FWIW, when loading a levergun, I load the magazine, then jack a round into the chamber. When hunting, I load five into the magazine and jack one into the chamber, and consider that plenty of firepower to dispatch a deer or elk.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Malamute wrote:
COSteve wrote:I feel it's better to let the action load a round per normal instead of forcing the extractor to snap over a chambered round.
On lever guns, the extractor snaps over the rim no matter how you load them into the chamber. Its normal operation.
I'm sorry but that's incorrect in many cases, especially in many leverguns. I suggest that you watch the operation of your levergun closely. Leverguns patterned after the Winchester '92 such as Rossis (as well as other leverguns with the extractor on the top of the bolt and other rifles with a flat bolt face such as the Winchester '60s, '66s, '73s, '86, '92s, and '94s, the base of the round slides up the bolt face and under the extractor claw as the bolt closes fully into battery. So, the claw doesn't snap over the case rim but rather the case rim slides under the claw as the action closes and the round is chambered.

That's the same action on many semi-auto pistols with flat bolt faces such as my 1911s and Glocks and is the case with the majority of modern semi-auto, center fire pistols. The bolt strips the round from the magazine as it moves forward and as it closes, the base of the case slides up the bolt face, slipping under the extractor claw (whether the claw is on the right side or the top of the bolt), and into position as the round fully chambers.

However, firearms with shrouded bolt faces and locking lugs that engage by twisting the bolt into battery do require that the extractor snap or twist over the rim into position. Examples in my collection would be my 1903-A3, M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, M1A, Winchester Model 70, Winchester Model 88, Mossberg Model 464, Savage Model 10, and my AR15s.
Steve
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Malamute is correct concerning the 92,94&71 the ejector sticks out to far on the bottom of the bolt to allow the case to slide under the extractor unless you have a faulty or missing ejector, or those rifles would of been advertised as controlled round feed as the savage 99 is. danny
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Not in my Rossis (and I suspect the Winchesters I listed). The round is tipped up as it feeds into the chamber and the case rim slips under the extractor claw and pushes back the ejector 'foot' at the bottom. Further, I've watched my 1911s and Glocks feed in a round and while the extractor does move out to the side a bit, the case rim clearly slides under the claw as it rises rather than the claw snapping over the rim.
Steve
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Fill the mag,stick one in the chamber and prior to closing bolt with left thumb press the top round down slightly that is positioned in the mag to let the closing bolt slide over that top mag round.(ie---bolt gun)

I like to "fill er up" :wink:
woods-walker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by woods-walker »

When I am horseback with rifle in scabbard, rounds are loaded in the magazine and not chambered. When I am on a walk-about there is a round in the chamber and the hammer rests in the "safety" notch. In a vehicle we are riding empty.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

What's often viewed as the extractor snapping over the rim of the cartridge, is, in fact, the extractor pushing up into the extractor slot on the back of the barrel. But, the rim is already under the extractor as Steve describes. Try this to prove it, load a round thru the magazine, the feed it about ¾ of the way into the chamber, stop, and reverse, the extractor will pull the cartridge back with the bolt. If you watch carefully, you'll not see the extractor move in it's groove until it encounters the barrel. Marlins, on the other hand, I'm not so sure about. The extractor might snap over the rim, and would explain why they have a higher incidence of broken extractors.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I load mine with ammunition. (It had to be said) :lol:
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

With my levers it is 3 or 4 in the tube and then lever home one when I'm in game country. I don't max out my tube usually. Transport rules are strictly monitored and enforced here so unloading before any vehicle movement is a necessity.

For bolts I did the same and then loaded one from the magazine once in game country. I only used a bolt with a hinged floorplate for a couple years, clumsy things compared to a lever. It remains a mystery how they caught on.

I normally hunted solo so one in the chamber was my method. Another reason to use the traditional lever with an open hammer. Cocked and locked never felt quite right when relying on a safety. Working a bolt or lever in visual range of game in the bush never seemed to work all that well for me. There is a handy factor when a guy can quietly thumb a hammer and take aim.