87 Leveraction Shotgun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

87 Leveraction Shotgun

Post by Lastmohecken »

I recon I bought one of these today. It's used, made in China, for $250 from a friend at work. I think they go new for $400 plus or so.
I shot it some this evening. I had a ball, it's a real fun gun to shoot and seems to shoot pretty good, and a real good instinctive shooter when shooting from the hip. I guess I will go ahead and pay for it tomorrow, as he let me take it home today to try it out.

It seems to be real reliable, as long as I make sure to work the lever completely on the bottom stroke.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Hobie

Re: 87 Leveraction Shotgun

Post by Hobie »

They are somethin'!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

ATTENTION all rabbits and squirrells, take cover NOW!
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I bought a China made one a few years back and it was fun and worked good.
Ended up trading it off for something else :roll:
Glad ya like yours too, congrats. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Like Pitchy, I tried one of those too. They are fun guns. If they made one with a longer barrel in 10 gauge, have mercy I would simply have to have one. Betcha there are some slick-up tricks for these. Might ask Nate Kiowa Jones here, or one of the SASS pards.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Like Pitchy, I tried one of those too. They are fun guns. If they made one with a longer barrel in 10 gauge, have mercy I would simply have to have one. Betcha there are some slick-up tricks for these. Might ask Nate Kiowa Jones here, or one of the SASS pards.
Bill Winchester did, i seen one in a gun shop for 500 bucks but didn`t have the money to buy it at the time :(
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I think Coyote Cap offers or did offer a slicked up version of this model. A lot of them, at least the early ones did need a little help, from what I have read on the net. But mine seems to work pretty good. Coyote Cap even offered them with screw in chokes, I believe.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

Mine runs slicker than snot on a door knob. Have to use Win AA hulls. They feed and cycle without a hitch. Had to start casting buckshot and slugs to feed it.

Don
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

I had *heard* that slugs weren't good for these things. Take that as you will, but maybe look it up just to prove me wrong. I'm just happy you got a good one. I hear the chinese ones can be hit or miss quality wise.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Pitchy, one of the guys at the local SASS bunch had an original Winchester 87 in 10 gauge. It was the highlight of the entire match to see him run that thing with all-brass shells and heavy black powder loads. BOOOOOM! clink. BOOOOOM! clink. Everybody would be left smiling ...
:D 8)
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

If i thought for a second that that 10 was still where i`d seen it i`d be on my way, heck i`d of left already, no i`d be there. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

20-odd years ago, I bought a 1901, (10-ga..) from a shop in Jackson, with all the internal parts in a cigar box.. The barrel, stock, receiver, and mag tube looked pretty rough, with no original finish left.. Bore showed only minor pitting but the muzzle was oblong and crooked.. Luckily, all the parts were there, and with a lot of elbow grease (and some boiled linseed oil and a bottle of Oxpho-blue and another of Plumb-brown..) I managed to turn my $75.00 chinese puzzle into a very workable shotgun. Cut the barrel to 22", for horseback carry, and dragged it around the Teton Wilderness country for a couple years.. Still wishin' I hadn't sold it...!
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Buck Elliott wrote:
Still wishin' I hadn't sold it...!
Buck...i feel your pain...those are six words that haunt most of us...too many guns--so little time---way to easy to trade for something we actually don't need and won't keep...aarrrrgggghhhh! ... :)