New-to-me Marlin 1894C .357 Mag joins the herd

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

New-to-me Marlin 1894C .357 Mag joins the herd

Post by Old No7 »

I recently picked this up from vonfatman from the Classifieds forum here; and as you'll see, it's a real Marlin .357 Mag, made in 2004.

Best news is the price was agreeable to both of us, and she's in really great shape. It does have the safety, but I do use that while unloading or crossing a stream; but for still-hunting, it's off and I have it on half-cock like it was originally designed.

At the range, I had put 3 shots fired off elbows from the bench into 1" at 50 yards, so she's a shooter for sure. I carried it around the Maine woods on Wednesday and Saturday mornings of this week and never felt the need for a scoped or larger rifle. This sweet little carbine carried and handled really well in the river bottom where I hunted. Now that I didn't connect on meat during the firearms season for deer, I'll switch gears and load up some plinking loads and later next summer I'll develop some XTP hunting loads too.
357Marlin 01 (Medium).jpg
357Marlin 02 (Medium).jpg
357Marlin 03 (Medium).jpg
I had sold off a newer Remlin 1894C a year or so ago, as it took a lot of work to smooth up the action, and while it was "OK" when I was done -- I always knew it "wasn't a real Marlin" and there wasn't much I could do about the "just so-so" wood-to-metal fit or the overall finish (which was no where near as nice as this one is). So ever since then, I'd been keeping a sharp eye out for a good one at a reasonable price -- and I believe I have succeeded.

This will make a nice companion to my 39M Mountie and 336 Cowboy 38-55 -- and a terrific on topic posting too! :wink:

Tight groups all.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Old No7 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: New-to-me Marlin 1894C .357 Mag joins the herd

Post by Old Savage »

I will be interested to see how it shoots. Very nice looking rifle.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I may still get a .357 1894 someday. I've got a a .44mag and it's sufficient for that sort of thing, and then some....But, I don't hunt that much, and nowadays I plink with mostly .22 due to that old disease LackAMoney :o
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote:I will be interested to see how it shoots. Very nice looking rifle.
Yes, nice lookin'. Neat how all those little chips outta the stock and forend form a pattern, huh? :P :twisted: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Griff wrote:
Old Savage wrote:I will be interested to see how it shoots. Very nice looking rifle.
Yes, nice lookin'. Neat how all those little chips outta the stock and forend form a pattern, huh? :P :twisted: :lol: :lol:

That's like saying that all the dips, bumps, and holes in a fella's noggin kinda look like a face...

:lol:

You're gonna love that 1894C. An excellent little utility/plinker/hunter.

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Had the same in .44 Magnum.

Add XS ghost rings or a Williams aperature. It'll help.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old No7 wrote:It does have the safety, but I do use that while unloading or crossing a stream; but for still-hunting, it's off and I have it on half-cock like it was originally designed.
To me, that well-designed, positive on/off (unlike the Rossi) safety is the best of both worlds - there when you want it, but positively off when you want it off. Maybe in 'bear country' or if using primarily for home/self defense, I'd want none of it, but for my purposes, I really like it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

safety is nice for unloading after the hunt because you have to rack the unexpended rounds into and out of the chamber.

(well you don't HAVE to, but it's the cool way to do it)
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

That is NICE :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

that is a great looking shooter :mrgreen:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

El Chivo wrote:safety is nice for unloading after the hunt because you have to rack the unexpended rounds into and out of the chamber.

Please explain how you get the rounds out of the magazine without racking them into and out of the chamber. When I've tried to do that I've managed to jam the action so badly I had to remove the lever to correct it!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jackruff wrote:
El Chivo wrote:safety is nice for unloading after the hunt because you have to rack the unexpended rounds into and out of the chamber.

Please explain how you get the rounds out of the magazine without racking them into and out of the chamber. When I've tried to do that I've managed to jam the action so badly I had to remove the lever to correct it!
On some, but not all of my levers, if I push down hard on the loading gate the rounds pop out..then you can lever out the last one. Another cool flourish is to eject it in the air, and catch it 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

If you ever get tired of it, I MIGHT know someone willing to take it off your hands! :mrgreen:
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
vonfatman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by vonfatman »

I have to say...that is a dandy. Glad you like it. Too bad about the deer hunt. Have fun plinking!

Bob
"Onward thru the Fog"
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Nice rifle. Now you need some more lever guns in 357 to keep it company.

Oh, and if you don't already reload, I'd advise you to get started. 357 rifles are hungrier than a teenage boy with hollow legs. They flat eat up some ammo.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Y2K's favorite! :D