1894C .357 shooters - need some guidance, please

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

1894C .357 shooters - need some guidance, please

Post by Triggernosis »

I have a Marlin 1894C in .357 on order and am getting ready to buy some ammo for it. I've got some Cabela's gift cert. that I'd like to use and they have 2 offerings of their bulk .357 Mag. ammo, 158gr. semi-wadcutter and 158gr. jacketed hollowpoint. Which would likely be best for me to go with? If the jacketed hollowpoint would feed well, I could probably use it for deer hunting also (or would something else be better for hunting southern whitetails?)

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
HP Service Rifle competitor
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Tom, sounds like you're gonna have some fun. My Win94 .357 likes everything from 110g jhp to 185g hard cast. It's the only gun I mix copper and lead rounds. So far not a problem.

If you handload I highly recommend 185g cast from beartoothbullets.com. There is load data you can search for on this forum and others.

I don't recommend hollow points for game animals. The standard 158g jsp should be fine for deer if you're using factory loads.

enjoy
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Of the two offerings I'd get the 158 gr. JHP.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hobie wrote:Of the two offerings I'd get the 158 gr. JHP.
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Why not reload?

:)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd certainly not use a hollowpoint for deer, but buy whichever you want for practice/varmint use, then just buy a box of 50 'deer' loads later, after you've a good feel for the gun. JSP's should be good for deer, or hard-cast SWC's, and SPEER makes a 180 grain factory load that feeds and hits well through mine.

If you just buy one of the Lee Classic Loaders (about $20 at MidwayUsa), then a box of primers, bullets, and can of powder will pay for the loader in savings, and from then on you can custom make your own ammunition how you like. If you really get into it, you can always get a press and go big-time, but the little hand kit is easy to use while watching TV, except after you've primed all your brass and you are ready to powder-charge it, no TV or distractions, and do the cases all at once and visually check that you didn't double charge any (bulky powders help prevent that because they would overfill the case obviously and spill). A $5 loading tray helps because it holds all the cases where you can see them at once.

Then seat your bullets and go shooting!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

Scott64A wrote:Why not reload?

:)
Because I have a 2 yr. old that's into everything!

I'll probably start reloading later this year after we move into our new digs that are under construction right now.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

haha... a two year old...

I have a four year old and she never gets to my bench in THE BASEMENT!

If you can set aside a little area, enough room for a sturdy desk, then you can get a cheap press at a gun show and all the basic necessities.

You can fill n smaller stuff later, but All you need is a powder scale, a press, a desk to mount it on, a case trimmer, a tumbler, a deburring/chamfering tool, a primer pocket reamer, a tray for your cases, and a quality micrometer. Oh yeah, a priming tol of some sort.

You get into it for around $200.00 if you go second hand.

Then when you load your first batch up, you're hooked forever. You'll never buy ammo again if you can help it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

[quote="Scott64A"]
You get into it for around $200.00 if you go second hand.
quote]
I know it isn't the 'right way' to get started, but I kept my Lee Classic loader, and the bullets, primer, and powder (yeah I know, store them separately), along with the hatchet handle I used as a mallet (and the hand primer I later got) all in a tool box padlocked. If I recall, the loader cost less than the metal toolbox and padlock...
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Something like a rolltop desk with a lock would be perfect for your situation. Plus, you can get your wife to go somewhere else for an afternoon to find it!

Just spend the money on an RCBS Rockchucker kit and a couple of Lee molds. Bullets are too darn expensive to buy.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

c'mon guys, let him shoot factory ammo if he wants to! Reloading is a hassle unless you're an addict.

I think the 158 would be your best bullet weight for a variety of uses, deer fall to 150's in 30-30 all the time. Good velocity and trajectory and decent energy.

I haven't hunted with my .357, but there's a guy who uses one in Africa on deer-like animals. I remember him saying he tried the hollowpoints and was disappointed at the penetration, and next time would go with something else. A semi-wadcutter would probably penetrate better.

You should probably try several kinds and see which one your gun likes best, my 1894c is pretty fussy with ammo.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

FWIW if the ammo is the same I've seen at the local Cabela's it's Ultramax remanufactured ammo.

My 1894C wants to choke on it at times but I think it has more to do with my rifle than the ammo.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

You can get into it for around $100 with new stuff if you go with the Lee Anniversary kit. That & a set of 357 dies will set you back about $100 & then you just need powder, brass, bullets & primers.

JMHO but its the best buy out there from scratch.
Kids get into stuff sure but the only thinks really needing secureing are primers & powder.

Factory ammo is fine tho for deer but I'd steer way clear of hollowpoints.
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

Gents, I will eventually get into reloading, and I guess what I was trying to say is that my 2 yr. old practically consumes my life right now rather than bothering my stuff. I have very little free time to pick up yet another hobby. Add to that that I'm building a house for which I'm the general contractor, the trim carpenter, and landscaper....

I think I'll just buy some small boxes of different loads locally and see what works best in my rifle. Then decide from there which way to go.

awp101,
The Cabela's stuff is Ultramax in the SWC and HSM in the JHP.
FWIW, the HSM ammo shot the best in my .243 Win. of any round I'd ever shot. I ordered 500 rounds for it and now have quite a bit of brass left.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Triggernosis wrote:Gents, I will eventually get into reloading, and I guess what I was trying to say is that my 2 yr. old practically consumes my life right now rather than bothering my stuff. I have very little free time to pick up yet another hobby. Add to that that I'm building a house for which I'm the general contractor, the trim carpenter, and landscaper....

I think I'll just buy some small boxes of different loads locally and see what works best in my rifle. Then decide from there which way to go.

awp101,
The Cabela's stuff is Ultramax in the SWC and HSM in the JHP.
FWIW, the HSM ammo shot the best in my .243 Win. of any round I'd ever shot. I ordered 500 rounds for it and now have quite a bit of brass left.
A couple thoughts:

Remember to keep all your brass, and any you can pick up for free at the range or where ever you shoot. It doesn't deteriorate and it is expensive to buy.

Don't buy the classic Lee Loader. Those things are a pain in the @$$! If you want a hand held loading tool, get the Lee Hand press and a Deluxe 4 die carbide set. It will work much better and you don't have to pound on things.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:If you want a hand held loading tool, get the Lee Hand press and a Deluxe 4 die carbide set. It will work much better and you don't have to pound on things.
Joe
I will agree on that point. I mostly use a Dillon for pistol and RCBS for rifle now, but when I just need to deprime a bunch or want to watch a movie while I re-size some easy ones, I use the Lee Hand Press. I thought it was quite a bit more costly than the Classic Loader, but one advantage is you can KEEP your dies and use them on a big press too...

Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

Thanks for the info., fellas.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Maybe its just me, but I've never thought that the Cabelas bulk ammo was all that good of a deal. Its probably good ammo, but i've seen better prices elsewhere. Don't know if you can do it now or not, but a couple of years ago I bought 1000rds of Federal 158gr JSP from The Sportsmans Warehouse for less than the Cabelas.