Levers still killing bucks

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Levers still killing bucks

Post by Marlin32 »

Have no clue how to post pictures, tried that on another forum once,
but I shot a very nice buck Saturday Morning, 336A 32 Special, 170gr speer flat nose (Federal)
Dad shot a similar buck, just a smidge smaller rack (although more mass) but probably 40lbs heavier, which is typical for the genetics in our timber. 336 Carbine, 30/30, 170gr Federal, only gun he has ever used on deer, whitetail or mule since 1963. I have even shot a couple with it.

Bad thing for me is, he shot it near my stand, I have been not hunting it for third year now trying to grow big deer there, Dad is 78, gets too cold, so went to the pickup (near my stand) poured coffee, saw deer. Got out of truck, left door open, keys in it so it started dinging, which caught buck's attention, turned broadside then, and died. Better to be lucky then good I guess. But now I have to start all over, another two-three years.

30/30 and 32 Special are just about unbeatable in that short range woods situation. Bullet designed for that velocity, range, etc. Perform beautifully.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Levers still killing bucks

Post by M. M. Wright »

10-4 on that better lucky. Good for both of you. Being 73 myself I can sympathize with sitting in the pickup.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
1894c

Post by 1894c »

glad to hear that you're still hunting with your DAD...don't sweat the tree-stand...from a guy who lost his WWII vintage Dad back in 2000, i'd say having the pleasure of your Dad's company and having a great story about the demise of this year's deer is priceless (plus the use of leverguns is always a coool thing)...much blessings to you and your Dad... :)
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

336bl wrote:glad to hear that you're still hunting with your DAD...don't sweat the tree-stand...from a guy who lost his WWII vintage Dad back in 2000, i'd say having the pleasure of your Dad's company and having a great story about the demise of this year's deer is priceless (plus the use of leverguns is always a coool thing)...much blessings to you and your Dad... :)

Ditto!!!

I lost my Dad earlier this year and still miss him every day. I'm pretty sure I always will.
Be happy you still have yours, and that he can still hunt some. Don't take the chances you
have to spend time with him for granted. I'd give anything to have mine back!

All the best to you and your folks!!

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Congrats to you both. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Sounds like a large time was had my all!
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Pitchy wrote:Congrats to you both. 8)
Good hunting, shooting and companionship for sure!!!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I would gladly give up on a stand for a couple more years to hunt with my dad again. He is 83 and has knee problems so that walking anywhere that the ground is not flat is a real hazard. I was going to take my kids pheasant hunting this year, but that fell through due to work.

By the way, I have reat a bunch of magazines lately, and cannot understand how a .32 special or a .30-30 could ever kill a deer. Why, we all know that it takes at least a 200 grain armor piercing bullet moving at 4000 fps to even hurt one anymore. :lol:
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

M. M. Wright wrote:10-4 on that better lucky. Good for both of you. Being 73 myself I can sympathize with istting in the pickup.
+1 on hunting near the truck; I'm 73 too. I shot two whitetails (does) this year and both were away from the truck. For one I had to belly crawl for 300 yds in mud and snow to get close enough for the shot. Even those big MT does are getting tough to get into the truck these days. Used to be "no prob". Had some for dinner just now; Tasty ! :D
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Thats great sir. Lost my dad in '96....miss him everyday.....he only used two rifles to deer hunt with....a beat up Lee Enfield "British" 303 that he bought right after WWII and a Remington 725 in .280 that he bought newin 1958.....303 is gone but my son hunts with the 280 as will his son one day....I am disabled and cannot walk very well anymore but I can sit in the truck with my grandchildren and enjoy watching for deer.....those 30-30s, 32s and 35s are just right for the woods....

rick
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Not only Levers killing bucks here, my buddie's uncle (old time Annapolis grad) bagged a buck with a 30 Remington. Piled it up. He has a 32 Rem or two also. Probably bring it next year.