No levergun/handgun combo. Whats your carry guns and advice?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

No levergun/handgun combo. Whats your carry guns and advice?

Post by Blackhawk »

I've got my eye on a Ruger stainless blackhawk and a Rossi M92 in 357 for a carry combo. But I've also given thoughts to the M92 with a Taurus 992 in 22lr/22mag. What do you carry? And I know nothing of the Rossi M92. What kind of quality can one expect?

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: No levergun/handgun combo. Whats your carry guns and advice?

Post by rjohns94 »

I use to have the Rossi 92 and smith j frame, both in 357. Currently i go with the idea of a. 22 handgun with a centerfire rifle or shotgun. I have two levers, a marlin 35 Remington, and a Winchester 1892 original in 38 WCF. I also have four bolt guns. I have a 44 mag for when I carry a 22 long gun. My choice of 22 is a ruger bearcat. This is my hunting and woods walking. For tactical thinking, I would go with my .308 GAP crusader, silenced, with a nighthawk 45 ACP as a sidearm
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Levergun wise in centerfire it's 1895 GS and .45 colt Blackhawk. Rimfire, Model 39 Centenial and Single Six.
Bolt gun, lefty 700 in 30-06 and just for kicks S&W 1917.
Semi auto, Springfield M1A scout/squad and Randall lefty 1911.
Single shot H&R in 30-06 and S&W 27 (no dash).

I could make other pairings and truthfully why limit yourself.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

My most used is a Marlin Cowboy and OM Ruger Flattop, both in .44. I spend my of my time in the woods and moderatly loaded this duo handles most everything I need.
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I prefer not to carry supersonics for CCW, in general, so I go for .45 ACP or .44 Special or .45 Colt. The latter are all too big or costly, so I stick with .44 Special and .45 ACP mostly.

So no levergun exactly combines with either, but a .44 Magnum levergun and .44 Special CCW piece isn't a bad combo.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Montado .3557 or NV Sheriff .44 as camping/woodsing'/tromping "carry" gun-- paired with Win 92 of either cal. Otherwise, "bedside" and urban-carry/travel - S&W 65LS (Lady Smith). 3" K-frame. Doesn't get much better than one of these IMO. I have an older .40 auto and the second go-to, but when I want to know it'll go 'bang' it's a revolver and the LS is a great and unique mix of features.

Rossi 92s are great--I've had eight or ten of 'em--mostly 20" carbine, plus a Trapper and 24" octagonal--both .44's ...and over the years generally. Rossi is a Rossi....but there are some more satisfying "eras" than others--for different reasons.

Optional reading :) -
The earliest Rossis (fifteen years or so) was Interarms as importer, panned by some for stiffer actions out of the box than the more recent decades'--but which is largely fixble (when it occurs) with a lot of dry leverings and/or shooting. If not, Steve Young (aka Nate Kiowa Jones has a DVD or will slick yours up "just so")...OTOH, the very early ones were better wood (never or few stellar) and overall "visceral" sense of quality IMO....not to mention (or perhaps skewing that opinion on quality) absent the goofy safety intro'd by Legacy "Puma" (LSI) in the 90's when they took over from Interarms as the largest Rossi importer. In the last few years of Interarms in the early 90s, they did seem to lose their way as they significantly ramped up production for a rapidly growing CAS sport--with their near-black "mystery stain" and no more saddle rings to speak of (another casualty due or attributed to CAS). Regardless of whether you're a "ring person" or not, to me it and the "finish" smacked of cost cutting. Legacy improved on the late Interarms finish but continued to leave the ring off on all or at least most of their regular production carbine line up.

EMF meanwhile kept the ring on many of their carbines as well as sporting some finish and sight improvements--largely thanks to our very own Nate who was retained by EMF to consult on their Rossi specs. Similarly, Navy Arms' finish also seemed to be superior to most of the Legacys, as well as being the only one who claimed "genuine walnut" versus the un-named South American hardwood "lesser" Rossis sported. Navy Arms was never a huge 92 importer and got out of the Rossi business in 2006, and examples are hard to come by now. Also in 2006, EMF buckled also to the lawyers and the goofy safety they'd been a hold-out regarding 'til then. The earlier EMF 1892 "Hartfords" are also now fairly scarce used. I see EMF is again selling some Rossis (to their detailed spec s before or just "regular" Braztechs?) after a few years of minimal Rossi involvement and perhaps outright cessation. Legacy (LSI), which inherited the "Puma" name from Interarms, ceased importation of Rossis in 2008 or so, and Rossi itself became the sole importer under the "new" Braztech/Taurus ownership. Confusingly, Legacy kept the Puma name--long thought of by many ssynonymous with "any Rossi 92"--and applied it to all its new and pricier Italian-made Chiappa/Armi Sport 92 and 86 lines of levers.

I have no mechanical/operational experience with the recent "Rossi-Rossis" but examples I've seen on LGS shelves have seemed to succumb to cost cutting measures as well--the cost accountants seem to have increasingly gotten ahold of these guns, at least cosmetically. Very plain wood "finishes" without much life to them, ever more abrupty truncated/sawn forends, and the other day forend tips (ahead of the barrel band on the carbines) ctually haaving a "negative" slant to them!!! IOW away from the tube/barrel!
These things are fixable to varying degrees--from refinishing to entirely new replacement aftermarket walnut stocks and sights--but to me you don't get as much gun for your dollar as you used to. What else is new? Rossis are great, handy, light, strong, and smooth, but lately I think you have to adjust expectations just a but too much.

After 20+ years of 92 production, in 2000 or so, Rossi (when mostly meant by then Legacy/LSI and EMF) retooled and it's been said that the 92 line became smoother out of the box. My pre-safety EMFs would bear this out generally, though I never had a problem with the earlier Interarms either. With the Legacy nd EMF era--and now Rossi/Braztech--the guns also are supposed to have standard "Winchester" .375" dovetails after the Interarms' odd-duck metrics (appx .390+/-). At least that's what I've heard, and on n early LSI I had, a "regular" Win-spec buckhorn sight slotted right in.
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
My $.02: You picked a great combo. Go for it !
I also go with a Marlin CBC .45Colt and a USFA SAA .45 Colt.(Or Ruger)
I do have a .357 combo as well, like the one ur looking at...
(Another combo I'm doing well with, is a Glock 21 and a JR carbine.
Both .45ACP and take the same magazine.)
These are all experimental and I don't want to part with any......

My .02,

Paul

PS. I think, all considered, the .357 is winning....
Last edited by pshort on Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Having a hard time editing my post off the mobile. I meant my combo gun rifles are Rossi 92s not Win 92 (wishful thinking!)...in .357 or .44 paired with same cal handuns noted.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

One thing I think some of the folks are addressing in their answers is the idea that perhaps it isn't needed that the handgun and levergun use the same ammo anyway, unless you're time-traveling back 150 years and in remote areas.

A centerfire levergun and rimfire handgun, or vice-versa makes LOTS of sense, if you really think about the practicalities of regular every-day woods-walking, farm-choring, and so on. You have the light-duty, no-hearing-protection gun, for instance, but a sturdy and potent backup for life-threatening issues. A rimfire rifle and centerfire handgun thusly go well together, especially if there might be a high likelihood of dirt clods or tin cans needing dealt with. In rougher country, perhaps the rifle would be centerfire and your pistol rimfire, for 'pot meat' as they say.

Eventually, you'll have a rimfire 'pair' AND a centerfire 'pair', anyway... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I carry a variety of things, but havent carried a pistol and rifle in the same caliber much. For sixguns, its mostly a Smith 4" 29 or a Ruger 4 5/8" 45. If looking for grouse or small game, I'll sometimes also carry a 22 pistol. Never go without the larger caliber gun tho. In long guns, it runs from a scoped bolt gun, mostly in '06 or 35 Whelen cal, to the 71, or 86 carbine. I carry a 94 Winchester some in country that the bears dont seem to hang out in much, but have been tending towards the larger calibers in general since they've been expanding their range.

The country I'm in is a mix of wide open to thick forest. I like having reach, for whatever may come up. I carry a rifle year round whenever out, and never go outside my yard without a pistol. Not that the country is particularly dangerous, tho a few have had problems with grizzlies. Next door neighbor also saw a wolf in his yard when he came in late once, after midnight, and I had a black bear walk thru my place once that I know of. Plenty of large critter around, just never know when you may bump into them. The dog is good company, and they tend to let you know when anything is around, at least by their behaviour, if you pay attention to them.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

AJMD429 - good points. I think mosty in "known" bear and mountain lion country there's comfort in having a larger (.357+) bore handgun on your person or handy close by even if there's a long gun present. Even javelina on your trail can be nasty and can give you a start rounding.a blind bend. A few years ago, not long after I got my .357 Montado and took it almost everywhere "non urban," probably when I last (ha) did any real "ground" camping,...exiting my tent one morning I noticed some very large cat prints right in front the tent, prominent in a llight dusting of snow--that I know hadn't been there! And they were not "just" a bobcat's either! Good thing I didn't have to visit a bush in the middle of the night. (don't think I would have made it to the bush for one thing!) I never had a clue! Probably good thing! That occasion may have been a great exception, but since then a bigger bore centerfire continues to be my choice when woodsing in even modestly dangerous territory!
...Otherwiwse, trekking around the .22 or also in my case often .32 Mag is a great companion on the hip.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

When I hunt larger game with a handgun, it's always either a .44Mag or a .454 Casull SA - only.

When I hunt with any of my CF rifles, I tote a .22RF handgun (LR or WMR) for "coups 'de grace" & incidental small game/Grouse - less noise/distrubance in areas containing larger game.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

With a .22 rifle I carry a .40-something pistol/revolver and with a "deer" rifle I carry a .22 LR pistol/revolver. For me it is about covering the bases not using the same ammo.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Hobie wrote:With a .22 rifle I carry a .40-something pistol/revolver and with a "deer" rifle I carry a .22 LR pistol/revolver. For me it is about covering the bases not using the same ammo.
This is what I would do. On the way back from your deer spot you see a rabbit 10 feet away, do you want to shoot it with your 7mm mag?

Also I like the idea of the long gun being the centerfire caliber, and the short gun the rimfire. Because the long gun is already in your hands if you see danger, and also it's what you need for long shots. The short gun is not as critical, and it's usually needed up close. So rimfire ought to suffice.

Guess what I just bought a .22lr revolver.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

AJMD429 wrote:One thing I think some of the folks are addressing in their answers is the idea that perhaps it isn't needed that the handgun and levergun use the same ammo anyway, unless you're time-traveling back 150 years and in remote areas.

A centerfire levergun and rimfire handgun, or vice-versa makes LOTS of sense, if you really think about the practicalities of regular every-day woods-walking, farm-choring, and so on. You have the light-duty, no-hearing-protection gun, for instance, but a sturdy and potent backup for life-threatening issues. A rimfire rifle and centerfire handgun thusly go well together, especially if there might be a high likelihood of dirt clods or tin cans needing dealt with. In rougher country, perhaps the rifle would be centerfire and your pistol rimfire, for 'pot meat' as they say.

+1 Give me my Marlin 39A and my Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt or my 1911 and I would feel comfortable for most any woods walking I do in my state. Conversely my Win 94 or Marlin Guide Gun paired with my Ruger Single Six works just as well. Going into bear country, maybe toss the .22 and go with a heavy centerfire caliber for both rifle and handgun.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Since I'm a bit shy of rimfires at the moment (one Colt's Peacemaker Buntline [7 1/2"] w/ dual cylinders..) my go-to guns have really not changed a lot in over 40 years... I now pack a Uberti '73 and one of my Uberti/Beretta single actions, chambered for .45 Colt.

Sometimes, I may take a Winchester '86 Extra Light .45-70, or even my TTN 12-gauge coach gun, in place of the '73.. Depends on my mood and destination..

Many years back, I toted a slicked up Rossi and a SAA in .357.. Did what I required, where I was then... Now, I find greater comfort in the bigger bore..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

In 22LR a have a Taurus model 62LAR, and a Taurus 94 DA revolver a J-frame clone both in SS.
In .357 magnum I have a Winchester 94AE Ranger Compact (Trapper), and a SS Ruger Blackhawk.
In 44 magnum I have my trusty 1894 Marlin, and a Taurus model 44 in SS with 6.5 ported barrel.

At first I ordered a Ruger Super Blackhawk to period match my Marlin but on arrival I was totally turned off by the fit and finish of this gun. The loading gate was lose and rattly and it would not stay closed, and there were obvious grind marks everywhere. It functioned but looked like a turd. Without firing a shot I sold it to a guy for my original purchase price to someone who did not care about the cosmetics. We were both happy campers. The local Sports Authority had just gotten in a Taurus model 44 which was not even on display yet. My neighbor owned a Raging Bull 454 that was beautifully finished so I had to see if the model 44 matched in quality and I was not disappointed, pretty flawless, a BIG improvement over that Ruger, and I got it for the same price! Super sweet shooter and very accurate.
I got my SS Blackhawk used in excellent condition and flawless much nicer than the later Super Blackhawk which must have been a Monday gun.
Last edited by Ji in Hawaii on Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Depends on the mood/license.

If all I plan on doing is small-game, then it's the RioGrande .410 and either the 1858 or SP101 depending on the local regs.

If it's general woods-walking/survival I still like the .357/.357 combo.

If I'm varminting/prairie-dogs, then it's the 10-22 & SP101.

If I'm out with the .45-70 or the Savage 99, then it's a tossup between the .22 Single Action and the SP101... but in either case, snake shot is the first load to cycle under the hammer...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Since I mostly only roam the woods (or desert), in search of deer, I carry a .30-30, sometimes no side-arm. When I do, it's generally a Colt SAA in .45Colt.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

AJMD429 wrote:One thing I think some of the folks are addressing in their answers is the idea that perhaps it isn't needed that the handgun and levergun use the same ammo anyway, unless you're time-traveling back 150 years and in remote areas.

that is exactly my plan too! makes really good sense and makes for a lot of good fun too.
cable
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I do have a Rossi 92 in 44, and a model 29 Smith tha I sometimes carry as a pair. Not often though. If I have the Rossi full to the gills I believe it will take care of anything I need to shoot. When I am hunting with one of my single shots I will carry the 29 or the 57, in case I run into something that needs a few shots(pack of yotes or bunch of pigs)
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Like many others I try to cover most of the basis and not match ammo. When carrying a shotgun or centerfire rifle I sometimes carry my Bersa .22lr for finishing shots but more times than not it's my .32H&R Ruger. I can use mouse fanny burp loads for "finishing" and small game (quieter than a .22lr handgun) or full power HP's for actual hunting. When carrying a rimfire rifle I'll tend to do one of three things: #1 being the .32H&R with full power HP's, #2 being my Security Six, #3 would be to not carry any handgun. Seems like I split about 3 equal ways on this one.

Now the only time I break from this is during deer season (shotgun). Before we had reasonable access to carry permits it was generally frowned upon by the DNR to carry a handgun in a caliber "not legal for deer". In other words below .357. Now that we/I have a permit it may very well legal for me to carry a small caliber gun but I'm not wanting to push the issue by using it for game while I have a deer tag in my pocket. I definitely don't want to use a small caliber gun to finish deer as the fine is steep. So when deer hunting I either carry the Security Six or nothing at all.
dogngun
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dogngun »

I have a Rossi M92 in .357/.38 Spl, and I pair that with with my 5 1/2" SAA or my Ruger Security Six 2 1/2" both also in .357 magnum. It's a good round in a rifle for my area, South East PA, where there are lots of very tightly wooded areas and not a lot of very long shots.
Since I retired, I am paring down to mostly .38 Spl and .357 magnum revolvers so I don't have to hunt to find ammo...I had one of the Rossi's some years ago and it never let me down...mine is the 20" round barrel and I got it from Buds for a good price.
(The SAA is a Cimmarron Evil Roy, extremely accurate and well made.)

mark
The GOP/teabag party - Anti American AND stupid.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Re: No levergun/handgun combo. Whats your carry guns and adv

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

For stuff that bites back, a big bore pistol feels good to have with the hi power rifle. Bad things do happen at inopportune moments(under carrier jam etc.) and what do you do then if what you are following decides to make you lunch? To switch gears to small game or long term survival, a Bearcat is so small that it is an afterthought and could easily be stored where you could get to it fast.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Rossi 92 is 10+1 and 6 in the blackhawk makes a good number of round for hunting/plinking/survival. And the 357 is small/light enough to carry lots of rounds. Don't get me wrong, I cant or haven't discounted the 22lr/22m. Just ain't made up my mind yet. I've got a 30/30, 307, & 45-70 so its not like I need the 357 rifle but define "need". I will say that I do want something easy on the shoulder. Somethings wrong with mine and my 308 and 280 take the toll on it after 10-20 rounds or so. Maybe a Henry 22mag is more of what "needed".

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
1894c

Post by 1894c »

rjohns94 wrote:I use to have the Rossi 92 and smith j frame, both in 357. Currently i go with the idea of a. 22 handgun with a centerfire rifle or shotgun. I have two levers, a marlin 35 Remington, and a Winchester 1892 original in 38 WCF. I also have four bolt guns. I have a 44 mag for when I carry a 22 long gun. My choice of 22 is a ruger bearcat. This is my hunting and woods walking. For tactical thinking, I would go with my .308 GAP crusader, silenced, with a nighthawk 45 ACP as a sidearm
i too carry a RUGER BEARCAT (stainless steel - .22cal.) with my leverguns--I also have used a Glock 27 or 22 (40s&w) and a Glock 30SF (45acp) as a woods gun--but recently purchased a Ruger Blawkhawk .357mag, but in the end it's the Bearcat when i'm hunting... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'm too cheap for a Bearcat. My SA .22 is an old "Hawes" "Deputy Marshal"
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!