Ummm, I have a problem ....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Ummm, I have a problem ....

Post by J Miller »

I haven't looked at or handled my rifles in over a year :oops: And of the short guns, I haven't looked at any of them except my S&W 25-5 and IJ since April of 2011. To be honest, they could have dissolved away and I wouldn't know it.

Been too busy doing other things to bother with them. Shows you just how IL has ruined me. Oh well, we'll see what happens next year. :roll:

You know, I wonder if this might have something to do with all the whimpering and whining I hear sometimes.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Ummm, I have a problem ....

Post by AJMD429 »

Indiana is but a short way East of you...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Sad, very sad. :cry:
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AJMD429 wrote:Indiana is but a short way East of you...
You have no idea how many times I've suggested that to my wife. Somehow I can't get her to cooperate. I've even considered hog tying her and tossing her into the back of the truck. Not sure how she'd go for that.
COSteve wrote:Sad, very sad. :cry:
Ain't it though.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Hang in there Joe. You do need to go blow the dust out of a few bores though and the best way to do it is with lead and powder. :wink:
Dan 444
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dan 444 »

Joe,
Being trapped here in Connecticut, I understand. Can't wait to retire and escape.

Best,
Dan
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:wink:
Last edited by Blaine on Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Hmmm -- this is bad, Joe. But the bunch here is about to pry Dixieboy out of his swamp in Florida -- what would it take to get you and the wife out of the horrible state of Ill?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I hear ya Joe. I hadn't handled any of my firearms since June of 2011 when I took my visiting nephew to the range. About 2 weeks ago I can across a larger bolt handle for the 10/22 on fleabay so I bought it and it gave me an excuse to open the safe to get my 10/22 out to install the new handle. Looked the guns over and wiped down with an oil rag as needed. This weekend the first of upland bird season but 60 mile drive there and back just not doable with current gas prices and my very fixed income. I sure do miss Maui with great weekly deer hunting 5 minutes away.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sorry to hear. That's rough. Chuck is right though, just get to the range and fire a few rounds. It will transform your outlook like magic. Hang in there!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

BlaineG wrote:You ain't getting any younger.....
No kidding. Nobody knows that more than I do. Every morning I look in the mirror and stare at the old man that's looking back at me. Where did he come from? Who is he? And why does he haunt me?
earlmck wrote:Hmmm -- this is bad, Joe. But the bunch here is about to pry Dixieboy out of his swamp in Florida -- what would it take to get you and the wife out of the horrible state of Ill?
You got email.
Friends Call Me Ji wrote:I hear ya Joe. I hadn't handled any of my firearms since June of 2011 when I took my visiting nephew to the range. About 2 weeks ago I can across a larger bolt handle for the 10/22 on fleabay so I bought it and it gave me an excuse to open the safe to get my 10/22 out to install the new handle. Looked the guns over and wiped down with an oil rag as needed. This weekend the first of upland bird season but 60 mile drive there and back just not doable with current gas prices and my very fixed income. I sure do miss Maui with great weekly deer hunting 5 minutes away.
It's probably just as impossible for you to move back to Maui as it is for me to get back to Arizona.
Chuck 100 yd wrote:Hang in there Joe. You do need to go blow the dust out of a few bores though and the best way to do it is with lead and powder. :wink:
OldWin wrote:Sorry to hear. That's rough. Chuck is right though, just get to the range and fire a few rounds. It will transform your outlook like magic. Hang in there!
I will have to see if I can find a range nearer to me that doesn't cost an arm and leg to join. The "clubs" around here know they have a limited space to shoot and a large batch of members so many of them charge rich people memberships.
I'm poor folk, just can't afford it.
Dan 444 wrote:Joe,
Being trapped here in Connecticut, I understand. Can't wait to retire and escape.

Best,
Dan
ESCAPE is the word. Ain't no other way out of here.

Joe
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Don't feel too bad Joe, here in Arizona I haven't looked at my rifles since last November's deer hunt.
I might go over to Ben Avery just to fire off a few 348s before my December hunt. :D

Dave B
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

J Miller wrote:
You have no idea how many times I've suggested that to my wife. Somehow I can't get her to cooperate. ...Joe
She did once, and a good time was had by all.

Just because I'm not there doesn't mean you cant go... ;)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Dave B wrote:Don't feel too bad Joe, here in Arizona I haven't looked at my rifles since last November's deer hunt.
I might go over to Ben Avery just to fire off a few 348s before my December hunt. :D

Dave B
Dave,
I know that wonderful range as "The Black Canyon Shooting Range". I simply cannot call it the Bxx Axxxx range.
Anyway, do they still have the big trays of brass for sale? Last time I was there they had several wooden trays and a trailer filled with brass for sale. I spent a lot of time digging for calibers I was shooting.

I used to go there every Wednesday morning. Most times I had the range to myself.
Old Ironsights wrote:
J Miller wrote:
You have no idea how many times I've suggested that to my wife. Somehow I can't get her to cooperate. ...Joe
She did once, and a good time was had by all.

Just because I'm not there doesn't mean you cant go... ;)
OI,

Making a trip to IN is OK, it's moving that's not happened. We're still trying.
Although I didn't want to get into this subject again.

Joe
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Joe, you just need to plan it out, make it happen. Get the heck outta Dodge. Pick two or three areas that you'd find acceptable and then do the search - get the job, do what you have to do to make it happen.

It will all be worth it after you move and like said, the longer you wait, the harder it'll get.

Now's the time - Romney will win the election and things will pick up - business will be hiring.

Have you looked at Montana and Wyoming? Where the oil business is booming and they need workers? And pay is good? And you can shoot your guns without hassle - no FOID cards needed.... IL is a communist state.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Arizona has changed drastically since we were there Joe. There's a swarm of people there now....buzzing around like angry bees and housing covering many of the old stomping grounds. You can't walk/drive out into the desert and shoot anymore, at least East of Mesa and pretty sure it's the same all around that area. My brother and dad have a hard time trying to find somewhere to shoot and usually drive to Casa Grande. I think there are better places to look at now, which are more like the places we enjoyed then. Up towards Mescalero wouldn't be bad, if you could find an affordable place to live. Where there's a will there's a way.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Joe,

Comforting words don't work here.

Once they throw the dirt in your face, its all over.

We are all in control of our own destiny. Like OSOK says, "Make it happen". Our forefathers saw to it we all have that opportunity.

No excuses--------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Took the shotgun for a walk in the woods yesterday trying to scare up a turkey for it, no luck. First time out since end of january :oops: . Workinging too many hours. Know how you feel.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Well I finally got back on...........
Thank you Dixie Boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All I am waiting for is the reclamation bond to take affect, and the mining endeavor will move forward.
Perhaps some opportunities will present themselves.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:wink:
Last edited by Blaine on Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Topic shift in progress. Joe isn't going there.

Joe
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Never been to Cornville, but Cottonwood is nice, right by the Verde River, lots of open space, folks tend to mind thier own buisiness.
Known you on the forum long enough to know that you probably would not " jive " with the folks in Sedonna.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I think I put this reply in the wrong post?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Joe -

Sorry to hear this. I haven't been able to shoot much at all the last year. Between the new job and the car accident in March, I just haven't had the time. I have been looking at my guns plenty though!

Gotta dream! :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:I think I put this reply in the wrong post?
No, I deleted the topic shift :wink: Sedona, and it's "vortex" is weird. I have real good friends there that have a shop, but, they live in Cornville....Me like mucho :) Might be someplace to settle into someday, or, at least a lot I could put a camper on whenever I wanted to....I miss having stuff around that can crawl in your shoe and kill ya :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

My girlfriend and her daughter wanted to go to the " harmonic convergence " in Sedonna some years ago.
The only thing I saw converge was Chevy 1/2 ton pickup and a Toyota Corolla, it was not very " harmonic "
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Mescalero wrote:My girlfriend and her daughter wanted to go to the " harmonic convergence " in Sedonna some years ago.
The only thing I saw converge was Chevy 1/2 ton pickup and a Toyota Corolla, it was not very " harmonic "
:lol: Yep.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Got a kick out of that did you?
It happened.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Mescalero wrote:Got a kick out of that did you?
It happened.
It was funny the way you put it, but thinking about it more deeply, I hope no one was hurt! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

When a Toyota crashes, it sounds pentatonic, harmonically speaking....Zen, it burns.... :oops:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I'd also forget the Valley (phx area). I never really cared for it in any event, waaay too many people. The Verde Valley is good country. Camp Verde and Cottonwood (and cornville) are very gun freindly country, with plenty of public land to get out on and shoot, hunt and roam around. The Sedona area sure is pretty, and some nice country to explore, even if the freaky new age folks have claimed it. Didn't hurt my appreciation of the country though. Some really pretty areas to hike and take pictures. Only a few people seemed annoyed that I was packing a sixgun. I figured they were tourists. They got over it, I guess. I didnt take a poll.

I used to get down that way in the winter to visit, but it's been years since I made that trip. Sure miss that country in the winter. Not was warm as Phx in winter, but not as hot in the summer either.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

When I left Phx in 99 I could go pretty much anywhere around the area that was not within the city limits or State Trust Land and shoot to my hearts content.
When I went back in 02 to visit my brother my two step sons and I went out and ran into no shooting signs where ever we went. Made me a bit peeved.
So I'm pretty much aware of the anti shooting movement ruining the Arizona concept.
When I say I want to move to AZ, I do not mean the Phoenix valley area specifically, but somewhere in AZ. My wife has been researching areas other than Phx and has found some really nice places. She's pretty infatuated with the Camp Verde area.

The only time I was in the Sedona area we went swimming in the creek and I found an ice cold bottle ( remember deposit bottles ) of 7-UP. Mom, me and my Grand mom really enjoyed that bottle of soda.

One of the problems I have is about 5'5" tall and is named SWMBO. She has arthritis in her knees and the cold is beginning to make her life miserable.
I have mentioned Wyoming many times. But she counters with the "I don't want the cold" thing. So somewhere in between I guess.

OK, so I stumbled into the topic shift.

Oh well.

Joe
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Joe, I think the dry county and overall fairly mild weather in the Verde would be good for both of you. The Verde Valley encompasses Camp Verde, Cottonwood, Cornville and Sedona. There's mountains all around that get snow, making it real pretty, but it doesnt snow much or last long in the Verde, as the days are generally sunny and warm in the winter, at least in the 50's.

As much I as I love Wyoming, I sure wouldnt mind being able to winter down that way. There's a lot to do in the winter there.

I ran into a bunch of older guys out on Forest Service land once, they were a regular group that got together to shoot 22's once a week. There was a dozen or so of them, and they were having a blast. I shot with them a time or two. That country is full of shooters and decent gun shops. Flag is close enough to go enjoy the snow in the winter, or get out of the moderate heat in the summer. It's a real pretty drive either way you go also. Oak Creek Canyon being the most scenic.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

You need to get out here and get me started on where The Lost Adams Diggings are /is actually located.
The problem is I think I actually know where to look.
Forget the earthquake covering uo the hole theory, a check with the US Geological Society shows no significant activity in the area.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

On my one and only visit to the States I found Sedona and especially Oak Creek Canyon to be absolutely beautiful....I hope to return someday.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I am glad that you, as an Englishman; got to see it.
I think people from other countries view our natural resources from a different perspective.
We americans tend to take these things for granted, where outlanders are sometimes stunned by how large and grand this land is.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

game keeper wrote:On my one and only visit to the States I found Sedona and especially Oak Creek Canyon to be absolutely beautiful....I hope to return someday.
. I love it there too GK....lots of great memories driving from Flag down there with my Dad. Slide rock was always fun and neat exploring around Sedona. I don't think most of us quite fit in there now. They wouldn't like our "harmonic convergence" I'm betting! :lol:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Chris,
I should have never told you about that trip to Sedonna :roll: :shock: :lol:
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

C. Cash wrote:... I don't think most of us quite fit in there now. They wouldn't like our "harmonic convergence" I'm betting! :lol:

You can just chuckle at them when you see them. Not everyone is Sedona is into the vortex voodoo stuff. Not that there's any shortage of them around Sedona, but they certainly dont own the place. Even us old fuddy duddy gun cranks can come and go as we please, and chuckle at anyone we please.

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

The girlfriend still gets mad at me when I trll that story :wink: :P :lol:
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

:mrgreen:

Some friends of mine there called it the moronic convergence.

One family had a motel room there, they left all their stuff on "The Day", with a note that the motel could do with it as they pleased, as they were going up in the space ship that day (the story was that on "The Day" of the harmonic convergence, that if enough people gathered around it and prayed hard, Bell Rock would rise in the air, and the space ship trapped underneath would be freed, and would take people up in space with them).

They came back later and sheepishly asked for their stuff back.

Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Joe, I don't remember if the range has brass for sale, it has been 4 or 5 years since I was there. I do remember the guys that worked there in 2005-06 were picking up my brass like they were keeping it for personel use. (This was before I got smart and started reloading).
There have been changes on BLM land regarding recreational shooting that is for the better.
http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/19603 ... thern-ariz
I remember we used to go shooting years ago above Lake Pleasant off of Table Mesa Rd. on BLM land. I might look into if we can shoot there again, I enjoyed it much more than the range.

Dave B
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Malamute wrote::mrgreen:

Some friends of mine there called it the moronic convergence.

One family had a motel room there, they left all their stuff on "The Day", with a note that the motel could do with it as they pleased, as they were going up in the space ship that day (the story was that on "The Day" of the harmonic convergence, that if enough people gathered around it and prayed hard, Bell Rock would rise in the air, and the space ship trapped underneath would be freed, and would take people up in space with them).

They came back later and sheepishly asked for their stuff back.
At least they didn't leave their "shells" behind... :shock: :roll:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Mescalero wrote:Chris,
I should have never told you about that trip to Sedonna :roll: :shock: :lol:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

J Miller wrote:I know that wonderful range as "The Black Canyon Shooting Range". I simply cannot call it the Bxx Axxxx range.
Anyway, do they still have the big trays of brass for sale? Last time I was there they had several wooden trays and a trailer filled with brass for sale. I spent a lot of time digging for calibers I was shooting.

I used to go there every Wednesday morning. Most times I had the range to myself.

Joe
I was at Black Canyon just a few days ago (that's the name I know it by too). Up in Phoenix on a business trip so I took the boys to the range on a down morning. Went to the funshow on Sunday, scored a Czech CZ-52 pistol with two boxes of Wolf Gold ammo and the mil-surp holster for $200. Taking the boys to Cabella's tonight to look around and score some ammo for another range outing. Nothing like blowing off steam following days-long meetings with a morning at the range!! 8)

My buddy John shot my Uberti 1871 open top in .45 Colt like a laser but he and the boys loved my Uberti 1873 .357 the best. They were blown away by how well they shot them vs. the cop guns they usually shoot. Single actions! Love 'em!! :D

Ya gotta get out and shoot Joe. It does the heart and soul good.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Oly,

Oh Lord does those pics make me home sick. :( :cry:

Yeah, I'll give it a good try. I usually go shooting on or the day after election day. Not sure I can dig up the range fees this time though.

Joe
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Good thing I have a good supply of Vodka,
I think I will need it before the night is over.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Mescalero wrote:Good thing I have a good supply of Vodka,
I think I will need it before the night is over.
Same here Amigo!!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Going to be a long night!
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

That is very good news about all that BLM land being opened up to shooting in Arizona. Last time we had a thread about this - and yes, Joe Miller was eyeball deep in that one too :) - it ended on a kinda sad note, like an awful lot of the shooting opportunities were closed off. So, any opening up of shooting areas is welcomed.

My Arizona shooting experience is not nearly as extensive as a lot of you guys, but in one area I think I did pretty well. Our family lived out there - Scottsdale - in 1962 and Dad took me and my brothers to Elephant Butte to go shooting the .22's and his Stevens .22 Hornet, and his Marlin .30-30 a number of times. I loved the place.

We talked about this too in that old thread. Mescalero was in on this one too. Some of you guys had me thinking that I was crazy, remembering Elephant Butte, and I got to wondering if my own memories had gone haywire. Well, there is an Elephant Butte, and it's in Pinal County, and yes, we did shoot there. Found it online, and some darn nice photographs of the place as it looks today too. I pretty much doubt that there is shooting that goes on there now, as it looks like hikers have come to love the place. Can't say that I blame them. But this news about the opening up of more shooting areas in Arizona is welcome news to my thinking.

Hmmm... wonder if Mescalero needs a strong back to help out with his mining operation ? - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.