Anyone here reload .380 ACP...?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Anyone here reload .380 ACP...?

Post by AJMD429 »

Is it worth doing...?
Seems like the 'ball' loads are ok for practice but wouldn't test your gun's function with the 'carry' ammo, and practicing with the 'carry' ammo at the prices charged for it gets pricey.

On the other hand, I've heard the little cartridges are a pain to reload, and more difficult than the biggies. The littlest case I've reloaded is 9mm, and not many of those.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anyone here reload .380 ACP...?

Post by Mescalero »

Yea,
I do.
I do find it to be onerous, or difficult.
I am curious how you came to this conclusion?
It holds true in regard to other calibers, you have the option to increase it's effectiveness.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I load quite a few of them for my PPK. The little cases are somewhat of a pain to handle, but not much worse than 9mm. I have a Ranch Dog mold that drops a 100 gr. WFN bullet designed like all his other bullets, for putting animals down. Albeit these are for 2 legged animals. I also load Remington Golden Sabers that I carry for defensive loads. Next time I mix up a batch of ballistic gel I'm going to try the Ranch Dog bullets and see how they compare to my hollow point loads. I don't see any reason not to load for the 380 if you do much shooting with one at all. Cheapest ammo seems to run at least $20 a box these days, so it wouldn't take long to recoup your money spent on dies, and maybe a bullet mold.
NRA Life Member
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

I do as well and don't find it difficult. I did the math and decided it was going to be alot cheaper than buying factory ammo.
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

ABSOLUTELY I do.
There have been times when I carried a .380 for self-defense. I wanted to be able to practice A LOT. Buying a couple boxes of bulk packed cast bullets (500 per bx) really helped hold down the cost to practice A LOT...up close and personal. No difficulties.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

I actually reload the .32NAA, which is a 380 necked down to a 32. But I would reload the 380 regardless, factory ammo is way to pricey for me, and it can be hard to find.

You can find tons of bullets to use because the 9mm is the same .355 and if in a pinch, one can trim 9mm to size to fit the .380.

Steve
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I've loaded the 380 and it is not much fun.
It is hard to get the stubby bullets started straight and seat them without pinching fingers.
I would handload practice ammo but only carry with factory loads.

Jack
msmith1228
Levergunner 2.0

Post by msmith1228 »

SteveR wrote:I actually reload the .32NAA, which is a 380 necked down to a 32. But I would reload the 380 regardless, factory ammo is way to pricey for me, and it can be hard to find.

You can find tons of bullets to use because the 9mm is the same .355 and if in a pinch, one can trim 9mm to size to fit the .380.

Steve
Where did you find the dies and brass for the 32 NAA?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have all the parts of a Llama .380.
It is in build stage for .32 NAA.
Have the front of the slide from a police de-mil.
It will be a long slide.
Ranch Dog
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeap, cast and reload the 380 Auto. Don't see any issue with it. Actually have a Lee Loadmaster dedicated to the task. Also cast and reload for the 25 ACP and 32 ACP without any issue.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

msmith1228 wrote:Where did you find the dies and brass for the 32 NAA?
I think Lee has made them as a 'special order' die.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I just started about a month ago. Once I got the COL right didn't have an issue. So far I've run @ 100 FMJ reloads through my little P238 without a problem. Carry ammo is Winchester Silvertips which are very accurate in my pistol but $$. The FMJ reloads were very close to the same POA.

Next trip out I'm going to run them through the Bersa.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Mescalero wrote:I have all the parts of a Llama .380.
It is in build stage for .32 NAA.
Have the front of the slide from a police de-mil.
It will be a long slide.

That sounds cool!

Can't wait to see the finished project!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

Yep,

I don't find it any more difficult to reload than any other caliber. Given the occasional
scarcity of it, I find it quite economical too. Definitely worth it to me. I have a
Bersa Thunder. Very inexpensive and utterly reliable.

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ranch Dog wrote:Yeap, cast and reload the 380 Auto. Don't see any issue with it. Actually have a Lee Loadmaster dedicated to the task. Also cast and reload for the 25 ACP and 32 ACP without any issue.
Do you use Lee dies...?

I would assume a 'taper' crimp has to be used, but I see Lee sells a FCD for it...???

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I just got a Sig P238 a couple of months ago, I have reloaded about 300 rounds so far using Berry's Plated Bullets and some Bullseye. I dont see any problem with it at all, except that I am VERY VERY careful with the Bullseye, the case will hold a double charge and then some, I charge all the cases and then DOUBLE CHECK each one with a flashlite before seating the bullets.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jnyork wrote:I charge all the cases and then DOUBLE CHECK each one with a flashlite before seating the bullets.
Perhaps you could make a pencil-sized 'gauge' that you'd put in the charged case and if it didn't go fully down into the case, you'd know it was an overcharge...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I guess I'm lazy. I don't plink much with the LCP. At the range I'm going to be using it for SD, it won't be all that necessary. Besides, that ess o bee LCP grinds the trigger finger up pretty good. Not a fun plinker, at all.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

When the 380 ammo disappeared a couple of years ago, I bought a mold, dies, etc. and started to reload practice ammo. Never had much need to before when ammo was plentiful. It reached astronomical prices - $1 per round some places. Glad to see it is more available now at a decent price.

Don
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

" Take a glass of water, make it against the law; see how good the water tastes, when you can't have any more" !
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

I have the Ranch Dog mold and load for my Keltec .380. Great bullet, it's what I use for carry and practice. I load on a progressive press and it's no different than any other pistol cartridge. I've put over 1500 rds through the Keltec to date. These little guns are not fun to shoot but they also are the ones you need to be able to shoot well as your butt will be on the line when you have to use it. I've seen some fellows miss some pretty big targets at 10' shooting under pressure with their LCP's and Keltec's! It's pretty nice being able to shoot mine for about $.03 per shot, makes the practice much less onerous.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

SteveR wrote:I actually reload the .32NAA, which is a 380 necked down to a 32. But I would reload the 380 regardless, factory ammo is way to pricey for me, and it can be hard to find.

Steve
380 is the same rim diameter as .223, 9X19mm is a bit larger and won't fit the chamber if trimmed down to 17mm. HTH
Ranch Dog
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ranch Dog »

AJMD429 wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:Yeap, cast and reload the 380 Auto. Don't see any issue with it. Actually have a Lee Loadmaster dedicated to the task. Also cast and reload for the 25 ACP and 32 ACP without any issue.
Do you use Lee dies...?

I would assume a 'taper' crimp has to be used, but I see Lee sells a FCD for it...???
Yes, I use Lee dies but do not use the handgun carbide FCD. This die has a carbide ring in the base of the die that can reduce the diameter of a lead bullet. I use the bullet seating die adjusted to provide a "taper" crimp as the bullet is seated to my desired OAL.