One Rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

One Rifle

Post by 86er »

Is anyone shooting just one rifle for all hunting?

I used to have one hunting rifle (not that long ago actually - just 8 yrs ago). I shot everything from armadillo's to zebras with it, in fact my journal shows 410 big game animals from 1983-2004. Most of these were taken on out-of-state or out-of-country hunts. Where I lived, most of the big game hunting required shotgun, muzzleloader or handgun or a bow. I've shot a bunch of deer with those type implements. Then in 2005 I acquired another rifle ... and another ... and another. Some of this came from an actual need and the rest was spawned from a mix of desire and hype. For instance, the PH course requires a rifle of 375 or larger and the job requires a double rifle to be carried out responsibly. However, I somehow "needed" a bigger rifle for elk/moose/bear (in spite of the fact that the original was used without a problem for all of those) and a more accurate rifle and a light deer rifle, etc. I keep thinking about going back to that rifle but I guess it is the variety that adds something new to the hunt. Interestingly, when I have a special tag, draw hunt or I am the paying client I still turn to that rifle to get it done (not my most accurate or my most powerful).

This year I have committed to hunting deer with only muzzleloaders, an in-line and a homemade percussion rifle.

When I think of all the time and money tied up in these rifles my mind wanders to all the other things I could have done with those assets. Anyway, it is what it is - not a bad place to be but funny and ironic how it came to be.

Who's shooting one rifle for hunting and why?
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Re: One Rifle

Post by Sarge »

Heck 86'er, about the cartridge rifle I have is an old 94 Winchester and it gets used for literally everything. I shoot it a lot and I'm real comfortable with it. Of course the biggest thing I'm liable to kill with it is a renegade steer or bull... we get a few of those every year that get away from the butcher and raise hell in traffic.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

in general guns are cheap. And if you bought used you will probably make money on them.

There was a discussion on another forum about price, and violins were brought up as the most crazy expensive items out there. Even the bows can be thousands of dollars.

I don't know how many guns you have, but it's probably not that much in terms of assets. I want to buy a couple more because:

I can use them and enjoy them now
if the currency goes into free fall they can be sold
if the currency REALLY goes into free fall they can be used for defense and game getting.

All your guns are probably worth what it would cost you to drive a new car off the lot and re-sell it the same day. And since it's your profession, why not?

For reasons of space I may go to 1 rimfire and 1 centerfire someday. The centerfire will probably be a smallish bore bolt gun like .270 or .243. But I'm in no hurry.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

For the last 25 years or so I have used a .30-06 for everything except pronghorns, for which I use a .50 caliber flintlock. I DID shoot a moose with a .33 Winchester a few years ago, but that's the only exception. This despite having more than 2 safes full of some pretty good guns.

Why do I need all those other guns? I probably dont, but then, what does "need" have to do with it? :D
mav
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mav »

Like most here, I own more than one rifle. I have toyed with the idea of using a single gun for one hunting season. There would be some legal restrictions, e.g. in Pennsylvania you can only use a shotgun for spring turkey season. Obviously, you have to use a muzzleloader or bow in those seasons.

I guess we are talking about a centerfire rifle, something where you can tailor loads to the intended game. I haven't done my homework on such loads yet, so maybe next year will be the "Year of the (insert rifle and caliber here)". ;-)
Last edited by mav on Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Well . . . I intend to take my first deer with my grandfather's deer rifle (Lord willing this year). Its a Remington 721 in 270 Winchester. Even though I have a couple of them, about a year and a half ago I bought a rifle for the express purpose of it being my main hunting rifle. I wanted it to be able to use it for all my hunting and be able to say that I had taken x number of game with it. That being said my main center fire rifle is a Ruger 77 Hawkeye in 270 Winchester. Maybe this year I'll be able to break it in.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

It seems that I usually owned at least a couple of centerfire rifles, sometimes more, and now I own quite a few, but for a lot of years I owned only a Marlin 30/30 which I seldon used, and Remington 700 in .270 win and the old .270 killed everything from groundhogs to deer. Then I went through a bunch of rifles of various calibers, but the main one that stands out is my Browning BLR in .308 win.

On paper I just didn't see a lot to get excited about regarding the .308 Win but it was chambered in a sleek little leveraction, so I decided to give one a try even though it wasn't in a favorite caliber of mine, but I quickly found out that the little BLR was amazingly accurate, resonable in recoil, and seemed to drop game with boring reliability. It's been my main rifle ever since for over 20yrs now, even though I own and experiement with lots of others, it's my workhorse, and frankly I could hunt everything I am likely to ever get the chance to for the rest of my life and use just that one rifle, without giving up anything, except maybe the excitement of trying something new, ever once in a while. All I would need is a .22 and a shotgun to go with it.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Grew up using a 30/30 for the first few years of hunting as a kid because that is what my father had. When I bought my first rifle it was a .308 because I didn't like the 30/06's that everyone else in the family had. Used a .308 in one form or another for the last 50 years and have never wished for more.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I have been thinking on this subject for some time now.

I've spent decades accumulating firearms purchased for one specific task or another, and over the last year or so I've been looking at the inventory and asking myself whether one sturdy arm might not cover all or at least most of the bases I'm concerned about at this stage of life.

Another prompt is the occassional thread we see in the forums regarding one of our friends "thinning his herd."

The problem is I'm a pack-rat and hate to part with a gun once I've designated it to do a thing and spent the time and money to set it up.

Old habits are hard to break and right now I'm just not certain that one rifle can really do it all.

Anyway, it's been on my mind.

:?: :)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I hunt with a 300 savage works for biggame & predators, I like 99's prefer the lighter weight of them and easy to glass and fit on a horse. have used for years a 348 dedicated for elk, the big bears north of the park are a problem, but got tired of the weight and quite hunting the absarokees as the northern herd is gone. My workgun in the truck/saddle is a 30-30 Ive killed elk and deer with it but its not the primary hunt rifle. If I had only one rifle I could live with a 30-30. Never wanted or owned anything but lever actions. danny
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Spent hundreds over the years! I now only have the 700 in 308. It does the job perfect and for as far as I wish to shoot now'a days.

My little 9422 don't see much action but it is stayin' put!

It is fun sure having lots of choices but sometimes it can become a little burden too. More is not always better!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

For quite some time, I had one "hunting" rifle. A Remmy 700 lefty in 30-06. But that was when I was raising a couple of kids and they needed most of the "expendable ?" cash. Once they left, I started to buy a few more in different calibers. The boys think this is great, as they are already trying to divy up what I have, and I ain't even sick or old yet. :)

Interestingly, as the number of rifles has increased, the amount of hunting had decreased. This decrease is mostly because the kids live several hundred miles away, and have lives of their own. I could hunt alone (and sometimes do), but I'd just rather have at least one of the kids along.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

For a bunch of years all I hunted with was Granpa's '03 in .30-'06.
Along the way I inherited bunch of LeverGuns from my other Grandfather.
After that I was really bitten by the LverGun Bug and have used a different rifle for just about every season.

That old '03 racked up a pile a whitetail, but I've been having a great time with my other guns.

Last trip to TX all I used on those boar was my .450 Marlin that I got for Christmas about eight years ago.
That carbine is a killer. Strikes like Thor's Hammer and I love the sound it makes! B-WHAM!!!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

My heard is completely thinned. Hunting rifles down to four A 22lr, a 35 Remington marlin, a 375 h&h, and a .54 cal flintlock. If I were to choose one, it would be the flintlock. I will hunt early and late season with the flintlock. I am assuming you are talking hunting med to large game. If that is the case, this season, I will hunt only with the flintlock on deer. The 22 will be used for small game.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Christ , one rifle for the entire season :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm more intrested in seeing how many of the ones I've not killed with I can get blooded each year :wink:

I have nine lever actions in 444 Marlin a lever action in 45-70 , a lever action in 44 MAG and ten Ruger #1's all prepared for this season and all not having killed a deer or bear since they've been in my possesion .

A perfect year for me would be 21 whitetails killed on my property each with a different rifle !

And four Sika deer killed in Maryland ! Two six point stags one with a ML and the other with the Savavge 20 gauge . And two Sika hinds again one with the ML and the other with the 20 gauge .

If I were able to accomplish what I just wrote that would be 25 deer a few better then my best season to date !

And at that I left out a couple drillings and side by side shotguns I'd like to pop a deer with and again that haven't been blooded !

So one gun for the entire season is out of the question for me atleast !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

One rifle? I have not hunted with only one rifle for several years. I started with a .270 in a Remington 700, and did fine with it. I finally succumbed to wants, and bought a Marlin in .30-30. PillHer took that gun and had the stock cut off to fit her, and I had to get a couple more guns. If I had to get rid of all but one, it would probably be my Model 700 in .30-06. Although, the rifle I have used the most in the last 5 years is my Model 92 in .480 Ruger. For anything at 100 yards or less, that is what I think of first.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

rjohns94 wrote:Hunting rifles down to four - a 22lr, a 35 Remington marlin, a 375 h&h, and a .54 cal flintlock.
That seems to nicely cover the bases... 8) 8) 8) 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

It seems that in the last 5-10 years, I have sort of been "specializing" A particular gun for particular situation. Maybe because in a place where I can do that now. Maybe just able to buy some of those because now I could?

Still trying to pin down a 348 in a Marlin Action or get a custom bullet maker to make me a decent performing bullet for the 338ME.

But when it comes down to it, I am starting to lean on Muzzleloaders. (put in Colorado's muzzle loader elk every year, just no success yet)
Even shotgunning anymore, thinking of buying a smoothbore sxs for upland, turkey and maybe even waterfowl. I even want a .32 or .36 for squirrel hunting, figuring that would be a hoot.

Have three muzzle loaders now, if I get elk permit, will need a different one, a .54 banger.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

When I was working, I had money and no time. Now, I have all the time in the world. My favorite hunting rifle is the first centerfire rifle I ever bought: An 1895 Guide Gun. If I started thinning out hunting rifles, I'd keep that one, the recently purchased 1951 Win. 94, and an older tang safety Ruger 77 in '06. The rest are gravy, and safe queens. (All the .22s stay...all the handguns stay)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

For several years in my youth all I owned was my Marlin 1894 44 mag so that's all I used. Now I have more than I need so have to start "thinning the herd".
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

If we're only talking centerfires than yes, I can and do get by on one rifle. I've been thru a couple handfuls over the years and was never entirely happy with any of them. So instead of just closing my eyes and trying again I sat down and really thought about what I wanted and needed. Settled on a .243 bolt action. Specifically a homebrew Savage 110 with a laminated stock and McGowan 18.5" barrel. While due to state regs this is primarily a predator gun it enables me to also hunt deer, antelope, some black bears, etc all with one gun.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

When success was measured in game taken, I only hunted with a Remington 700ADL in 7RemMag. Once I passed thru that phase, I have taken a variety of rifles hunting. Only a few have been successful by the old standard, but...each one has been successful by the new standard! One of my favorite hunts, was a washout by the "game taken standard", but contains on of my favorite hunting stories, ever.

I decided to take my .53 caliber Hawken hunting during the early ML season. The year before the area had been declared a "wilderness zone", (illegally IMO, but that's another matter), and required hiking into. I spent the summer hiking in and scouting, then the 1st week of September, I hiked in and set up a camp. I wore buckskins, mocs and my old felt hat. I had risen early, and hiked up to a low saddle to await game along a well-used trail from water to a large patch of woods.

It was a fruitless wait. After a refreshing drink of water, I decided to head back to my camp for some lunch and an afternoon nap. As I rose up, I saw about 3 doe headed around the other side of the rocks I was sitting in... with a buck following along. I wound my way around the rocks toward a "road" that crossed this game trail... I got into position and watched as the 3 does wandered in front of me. After they'd passed, I eased the hammer off of ½-cock back to full-cock as I pulled the trigger back to keep it from clicking. Just as the hammer reached full-cock and I released the trigger, fully engaging the sear, I spied the buck. I readjusted my grip and brought the front sight onto the buck's side, about 40 yards away. As I swung the barrel to match the buck's slow trot, I happened, in my peripheral vision that... to note there was no cap on the nipple.

I was standing almost in the middle of that road, not a stick or blade of grass for cover, any movement toward my capper I made would be instantly perceived by the buck... But, you know what, standing stock-still, 40 yards from that buck, I learned an important lesson about hunting. And have never worried about whether there's game in the pot on any particular day since.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

I could do all I need with one rifle. Might be a bit of a tough decision though.

I have been down to one firearm twice in my life, always due to finacial problems of my own. If that was the reason I was thinning down to one rifle, then I would sell all the expensive ones obviously.

The one I would keep would probably be either an old beat up 94 in 30-30 or an H&R single shot in 30-30. I wouldn't need a 22 as I can cast & reload for the 30-30 down to that level easily. Or up to the max that the cartridge will do.

So 86er, what is your one rifle?

Cat
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Great story Griff :)

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I hunt almost exclusively with one rifle every deer season. It's usually a different one every season, but I usually pick one and pretty much stick to it, with another brought along for backup in case my primary rifle fails, gets dropped, etc, which hasn't happened yet. Last year it was a Remington 700 ADL in .270, the two years before that, my go-to Winchester 70 in .243. I've used several over the years. This year it will be my "wife's" 7mm-08, unless she is with me, then it will either be my guide gun or .243. I've been thinking of moving to leverguns only for deer, either the guide gun or '94 30-30, but haven't "pulled the trigger", so to speak. I could definitely do whatever I needed to with one or two rifles, but what's the fun in that? :D I, like Fwiedner, have difficulty letting go of a particular firearm once I have it set up the way I want and designated to a specific purpose, even if that purpose is mostly fabricated as justification to keep said firearm :wink:
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Many years ago I bounced around a bit as a gunnut. Trying different guns and learning to reload. Then I returned to my 444 Marlin and used it for many years. It was the first big game rifle I bought. Later tough times and poor choices had me sell off my other big game rifles but the 444 just was part of me.

I chose it over other choices because the rifle fit me perfectly, the rifle cartridge combo fit my love of hunting the Canadian bush. After trying bolts, semis, clip fed levers and single shots the traditional lever was simply the perfect hunting rifle for my style and hunting ground.

After trying a 243 for deer, a 7MM Mag for big game, and a 375 H&H for grizzly and some assorted 30 cals I decided on a winning formula for me. Big bullets at 2200 to 2400 fps are far more effective than most folks understand. Decent bullets hit hard, penetrate deep, you eat to the hole and it is a short walk to a dead animal at the end of the blood trail.

The proverb about the one gun shooter really is true in my experience. I recently added another hunting rifle, Winchester 94 32 Special. However, the 444 protects my family in the bush. If I see or hear it coming the outcome is stacked in my favour.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I have many rifles.

For hunting, I only have one, a 7mm Mauser.

I have occasionally hunted with the others, mostly because they were what was at hand, but the Mauser is my dedicated hunting piece.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Not a dedicated big game hunter Like many of you, but I've only ever used the Big Bore 94 in 356 Win. I've chased Elk and Javalina with it and this year will chase Texas Hogs and Pennsylvania Deer with it. I don't know of anything it couldn't do in the lower 48.

My cast load will be 210 gr. Beartooth which has a wide meplat , over 42 grains IMR 4320.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Meeteetse wrote:Grew up using a 30/30 for the first few years of hunting as a kid because that is what my father had. When I bought my first rifle it was a .308 because I didn't like the 30/06's that everyone else in the family had. Used a .308 in one form or another for the last 50 years and have never wished for more.
I just realized that I left out some specifics in my previous post (above). The .308 I mentioned above is a Ruger RSI and it has been used on elk, mule deer and antelope because it is the only scoped rifle I own and a scope is often necessary where I hunt in WY. I have several other rifles, all leverguns, that see use whenever the proper occasion arrives, or they go along as primary or backup. My favorites are my 30/30's and my Marlin 1894 Cowboy in .44mag. I will have to admit that I have been considering "culling the herd" but I have worked so hard over the years to accumulate my collection I don't know where I would start. Besides, my son thinks they all belong to him. In a way I guess they do. Maybe it is time to buy another safe instead. :D :roll:
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

C. Cash wrote:Not a dedicated big game hunter Like many of you, but I've only ever used the Big Bore 94 in 356 Win. I've chased Elk and Javalina with it and this year will chase Texas Hogs and Pennsylvania Deer with it. I don't know of anything it couldn't do in the lower 48.

My cast load will be 210 gr. Beartooth which has a wide meplat , over 42 grains IMR 4320.
8)
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

I have had a mess of centerfires,from 22 Hornet to 45-70.My all time favorite was and is the 6,5x55 Swedish Mauser.I have killed all of the normal big game in the lower 48 with it. I use two bullets 125 grain Nosler Ballistic tip and the 160 grain Hornady round nose.It just works for me. Doug
a armed man is his own master
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

One rifle for hunting, no way. Look at it this way, sure we can get by with one rifle. but you know our wives and or girlfriends gotta have a new outfit for every event. Someone getting married, they gotta have a new dress, shoes, and purse to match. And they will get different ones for the rehersal verses the wedding. Someone graduating, or getting an award, same thing gotta have new stuff. Most of us only have one suit, if we are going to a wedding, we wear it with a light colored tie. If a funeral dark tie. Therefor we need more guns just to keep pace. Think about it.
flyfisher66048
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flyfisher66048 »

Due to the areas I will be hunting this year I will be using my CVA Accura II or PSE bow. The CVA shoots those Barnes T-EZ sabots under an inch at 100 yards. That is plenty good enough for the areas I hunt, Heck the bow is generally good enough. Already got a doe with the muzzleloader at about 20 yards.

I don't see any limitation with the tools I can use.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

wolfdog wrote:One rifle for hunting, no way. Look at it this way, sure we can get by with one rifle. but you know our wives and or girlfriends gotta have a new outfit for every event. Someone getting married, they gotta have a new dress, shoes, and purse to match. And they will get different ones for the rehersal verses the wedding. Someone graduating, or getting an award, same thing gotta have new stuff. Most of us only have one suit, if we are going to a wedding, we wear it with a light colored tie. If a funeral dark tie. Therefor we need more guns just to keep pace. Think about it.
Logical. I like it.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Last few years it has been my Winchester '94 Timber Carbine chambered for the .444Marlin, it has been handy and never let me down. Don't know of anything I have not been able to hunt with it.

But for almost twenty years I carried a fast twist Winchester '94 Trapper chambered in .44Mag. Did well by me, harvested 13 Whitetail with it, a nice bull elk up in the Bitteroots over by the Clark Fork (guide bet I couldn't do it with that little forty-four, that bull almost crushed as it fell over with one good shot), a Black Bear up in Quebec Province, and a Moose just to the southeast of there. The little gem also took it's share of 'yotes and a couple of hogs...never let me down.

But it did scare me when I got the Black Bear. Shot it from maybe 40-50 yards away standing on a granite rock overlooking a pine row. Hit it right in front of the left ear and it collapsed on it's nose. Waited twenty minutes and sauntered around the rock get'n around twenty feet from him when he woke up with a real bad headache. It stood up on its legs and started to lunge forward, had just enough time to plug a couple of rounds into it's chest. Stopped his charge, but thought it must have just scared him as he just went back down on all fours and started to walk away. Gave me just enough time to plug him in the back of the head. Then he went down for good. Turns out that the first shot did crack his skull, but did not go through. Instead it passed all the way around the skull under the hide to rest completely on the other side of his head. Been carrying the .444 ever since.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BigSky56 wrote:I hunt with a 300 savage works for biggame & predators, I like 99's prefer the lighter weight of them and easy to glass and fit on a horse. have used for years a 348 dedicated for elk, the big bears north of the park are a problem, but got tired of the weight and quite hunting the absarokees as the northern herd is gone. My workgun in the truck/saddle is a 30-30 Ive killed elk and deer with it but its not the primary hunt rifle. If I had only one rifle I could live with a 30-30. Never wanted or owned anything but lever actions. danny
i've worked my way back to the 30/30...i started out with a 30/30 when i hunted back east in the Adirondack's...then i moved out west and thought the 30/30 wouldn't cut it (wrong)...tried a couple of other calibers in leverguns (.357mag, .44Mag, 444 Marlin, 45/70...been thinking about the 35 Remington) and one bolt (.270WIN).

but last year a couple of you guys on this forum reminded me how much i missed the 30/30 and how i wouldn't be under-gunned...so i bought a new REM-Marlin 336bl...replaced the iron sights with a Skinner receiver sight and an XS-Systems front sight...found 500 rounds of once-fired 30/30 brass...acquired 1000 bullets of 170gr Remington Core-Loc...and 5lbs of IMR-3031...been shooting the rifle all summer (this is the best shooting 30/30 i have ever owned)...will be hunting for Mule Deer with it starting on October 14th.

so i too could live with one hunting rifle--but i've decided i need one more 30/30...would like to buy a Winchester M-94 with a 20" tube...would like to try 130 grainer's and go Antelope hunting...we'll see... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

If I stayed within Pennsylvania for all my hunting, I'd be well armed with just my 30-30 carbine. Deer and bear are our only big game animals. It's true that large elk inhabit the Keystone State but odds for drawing a tag are very poor indeed.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!