Large loop levers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fgarnold
Levergunner

Large loop levers

Post by fgarnold »

I would like to install a large loop on my 1895G, but can't make my mind up on which loop to buy, WWG or DRC. Some reviews I have read arn't real favorable toward the WWG lever and they seem to be a little better on the DRC. Help!!! I need some opinions.
Thanks,
Fred
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

Unless you've got a really huge hand, I would stay with the stock lever, since you asked for opinions.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jeff Quinn wrote:Unless you've got a really huge hand, I would stay with the stock lever, since you asked for opinions.
Good advice- Personally, I think they are gaudy looking and destroy the fine lines of a levergun.--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

2 opinions

Post by brucew44guns »

I'm glad for 2 seasoned levergunners speaking up on this subject, I was thinking about a large loop myself, glad I still have a bigger check book balance and my old stock loops. Just leave well enough alone I guess.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Large loop levers

Post by J Miller »

fgarnold wrote:I would like to install a large loop on my 1895G, but can't make my mind up on which loop to buy, WWG or DRC. Some reviews I have read arn't real favorable toward the WWG lever and they seem to be a little better on the DRC. Help!!! I need some opinions.
Thanks,
Fred
fgarnold,
Unless you live in a very cold climate where you need gloves, or have over sized huge hands there really is no benefit's to the large loop levers. Prior to John Wayne's use of the 92 with the over sized lever no body made them.
The couple lever guns I've handled with them were awkward to handle and the large lever actully slowed working the lever down.

Personally since you asked for opinions, I'd take the money you'd spend for the lever and buy ammo for practicing.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Let me understand this... surely this isn't possible? I'm completely UNAMINOUS in this; as are, apparently, several others, NO LARGE LEVERS!

If I lived where it stayed cold for the majority of the year (my dermatologist sez I should) I might make myself a slightly oversized lever for glove wear for my favorite couple of leverguns. And I mean "SLIGHTLY". But, even that ain't likely, as I've hunted with a levergun in the cold, and wearing a glove isn't a REAL handicap. I only use 3 fingers in the lever anyway, so even my thickest Thinsulateâ„¢ gloves can be worn when using my lever gun. If you don't normally wear gloves when shooting, I recommend some practice; the trigger feel is greatly reduced when wearing gloves, and you need to KNOW the difference. I prefer a mitten where the trigger finger can be slipped out and the gun fired with a bare trigger finger.

Oh sure, they look COOL; but, for my money are immenently impractical. And yes, if I owned a JW Commemorative, I certainly wouldn't take it off (unless I planned on shooting the gun).

Now, if I had mitts the size of my friend Mike, yes, I'd look at have a lever custom-sized. But, most of the large loop levers I've seen are way outsized, even for Mike.

For "all the time" glove wear country, maybe the WWG lever holds some practicality.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I'll go ahead and cast my vote against large loops. I also think they ruin the looks of a leverguns. If I'm hunting in extremely cold weather (like below zero stuff), I wear a pair of heavy suede, fleece lined mittens over a thin pair of gloves. If I get a chance at a shot I can quickly remove the mitten on my shooting hand. For not so cold weather I wear gloves that are thin enough I don't have problems accessing the trigger. Cycling the lever with these type gloves isn't a problem. Those big levers are pretty pricey for what I consider to be a cosmetic item, but to each his own.
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

I ain't sayin' I don't like them on certain guns. I have two Trappers that have the large loop; a Puma .357 and a Winchester .44. However, when it comes to actually working the lever, I can do it faster with the standard lever. I have the large loops for playing, and the standard on working guns.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

For about the same money (or less) you could get a Henry large loop carbine in .22. I have one and it's a LOT of fun to shoot and inexpensive, both gun and ammo. Get one of those to salve your jones for a large loop and keep your 1895G stock. Just a thought. Jim
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Howdy,
I don't like the look of a large lever on a levergun. But my three fingers are almost squeezed in a 1886 SRC and a M 71(Brownings). :? Will eventually put a slightly larger loop on the 86 for cold weather applications. Don't like scopes on'em either but will put a scout scope on the 86 also, eyes are gone. :cry: Though I prefer not to make these changes; I get a firearm to use, and enjoy using, and it don't seem better to get something else when I can make what I want work. This is all IMHO. :)

John
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

I'm real pleased to read these comments because I thought I was the only one who disliked those things.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I agree with Mr. Quinn. I have three levers without them but I really like the WWG on my Marlin. I don't like them on a straight stock but I kind of do like them on the pistol grip stock. I don't like the big loop and they do seem impractical. But the WWG is not that large and I do hunt with gloves and have large hands. I guess to each his own.

Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

fgarnold,

I have not used those brands of levers, and I do not own a Marlin levergun. However, I will say this: I love large loop levers. I have one that came with my Henry carbine, and I put a Rossi lever on my Browning B92. The size & shape of the loop can determine whether you like it, or not. I find, on my B92, that I have hold my support hand farther forward on the forewood, in order to fully open the action, while cocking the rifle during shooting. I do not have to make this concession with my Henry's smaller, not as "tall" loop.

I currently have a Rossi 92, and the regular lever just ain't cutting it for me. I am looking at getting an LSI "3/4 loop lever" for it:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I guess to each his own.
My guide has the stock lever - but if I were to get one, which I have often thought about - I would go with the DRC
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

I have very large hands and hunt in the mountain west, so gloves are mandatory, so I do like large loop levers,have them on a Win 94, Rossi 92 and soon to be on a Marlin 1895G.They do not look as good as the regular, but I use them on "tools" and they work for me. just my2c Doug
a armed man is his own master
444Hal
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 444Hal »

Just put a DRC on my 1895....

fgarnold
Levergunner

Post by fgarnold »

Wow< I'm surprised most all of you don't like the large loops. Actually I'm not crazy about them either but feel like I need one because I can only fit 2 fingers comfortably in the origional lever and every time I fire it the fingers outside the loop get jammed against the rear of the lever. I have big hands and with gloves on it's worse. I guess if I have to buy a large loop it seems like the DRC is smaller than a WWG but larger than the original. Does the DRC function ok as far as not having too much slop inside the loop?
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I don't much care for the large levers either, althrough the slightly larger WWG or DRC may have some merrit for cold climates and large hands. But the big John Wayne version is just for looks, all show and no go, sure looks cool to the uneducated, through.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

My local shop has a John Wayne .32 special Winchester 94 that has the large loop. It looks sweet sure wish my pockets were deep enough to afford it. Its the only large lever that I have ever really cared for.
444Hal
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 444Hal »

I bought the DRC because I was having trouble with the original. It just wouldn’t lock up completely. I believe this was the cause of the lever popping open with heavy loads and pinching my finger between the trigger & lever when it reclosed. And yes, there was blood ! Thought it was a bent lever. But the DRC did the same thing. Turns out that the bottom plate where the trigger attaches needed a little filing around the lever opening. Both levers work fine now.
But I do like the feel of the beefier DRC lever and it does feel tighter than the original. It’s really not that much bigger loop. Took some getting use to with my skinny fingers. But it’ll probably be just right for yours. And no reason it shouldn’t pop right in like mine.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I think large loop levers are downright UGLY ! :x
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

I was going to chime in with the crowd here and say I hate large levers, both for looks and function. But that DRC lever actually looks pretty good. And, I can see maybe adding a leather wrap around it like I've seen some do which would be easier on the fingers - the slightly larger loop making that more a doable proposition.
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Would someone please give me the names and perhaps webb site information of the large lever loop companies. WWG and DRC don't mean much to some of us. I would appreciate clarification.

I guess I don't really like or need a large lever loop, I've been shooting levers for over 40 years and never thought about it, but I would like to do some research. Thanks

Dave

p.s. this is not my first post. Been here a long time but was lost when this forum collapsed. Happy to been back on a great forum.
TomD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TomD »

DRC, I haven't seen a site for, so I am waiting too.

WWG is Wild West, or Jim West, of co-pilot fame, he has a big site.

My favorite is the Brockman, but I will do my best to stick with the stock loop.

There are basically three reasons to do a large loop.

The Wayne thing;

The mitts thing:

Reduce knuckle bashing in lever hand.

The main reason not to do it is it slows down the stroke since it makes the hand move further, oh and none of the reasons to have it make any sense either.

As far as speed is concerned the Brockman probably works the best, other than the loop the gun came with. The Brockman is tight at the front, so you can get it moving faster at the start of the stroke, than with some of the more bellied loops. But then I don't really see how it can help with recoil where that is the case.

I think people with big hands may just need to lengthen the lever as Turnbull does.
rkt88edmo
Levergunner

Post by rkt88edmo »

I made my own loop starting with a stock lever from Marlin. If there is a lot of space in the loop, your hand will travel (and bang into) the loop more when you run the action vigorously. I tried to keep mine a little more narrow in front with an S-curve, but my original drawing was a little more like the DRC.

To comfortably hold the stock pistol grip lever I had to keep my pinky outside the loop or have way more finger on the trigger than I really wanted. My loop is much more comfortable for me to hold and I can keep middle, ring, and pinky within the loop. I have big hands, but they aren't huge by any means.

traditionalists don't look :) - also has third sling attachment point in forearm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rkt88edmo/ ... 034809937/

Still needs some filing and sanding to finish the welds.
Last edited by rkt88edmo on Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
old goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by old goat »

...DRC is David R. Clay Custom Guns. His web site has been taken over by someone else, and contact via the web has not been possible for quite some time. Maybe someone will post his contact info.

...old goat
old goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by old goat »

...You can find the DRC Custom lever at Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ ... OP%20LEVER

...old goat
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

I have the big loop Rossi in 45 colt and it is a bit too big but a regular sized
loop is bit small for my sausage links.

That DRC looks like the ticket.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

just my opinion... I have found very little to mess with if John Browning had his hand in it.

John Wayne had really big hands... I have heard that some of his SAA's had modified trigger guards.

Jeff
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have never wanted a big loop lever on any of my lever actions BUT I do love the look of that dinky little Henry Carbine! :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

I had one on my 92 Rossi and traded it to Steve Young for a regular small lever. However, if I wanted something bigger than stock, I'd take a large lever and have it reduced to something in-between that would have a custom look.
BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BruceB »

I've used both regular and large loop. I've never noticed any difference in speed of operation. I view large loops the same way others view color case hardening, nickel plating or engraving. They don't add anything to the functioning of the firearm, but if you like it, fine. If you want a large loop, get one.
GOD SAVE THE UNITED STATES!

Original member of Leverguns.com forum

NRA Life Member

Boy, what a mess them .45's make.

When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Lever guns are perfect the way they were designed. No scopes, no large loops, no lasers or 203's. They are an abomination.

I used to think my levers were too small, but I learned to use the section of my fingers between the first and second joints from the tips of my fingers.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

I cut down a 1895 cowboy making the gun very light. It has the straight grip, and with CP 460 gr boolits it will hurt your hand in the lever. I will be sending the lever to Reeder custom guns to have it modified. He does the in between look, not the big loop.
fgarnold
Levergunner

Post by fgarnold »

Yea Fox, I'm having the same problem. Thant's why I thought a DRC would work well. It's not real big but larger than the original.
Cocked & Locked
Levergunner

Post by Cocked & Locked »

I've got one levergun with a large loop lever and I like it.

'94AE 16.25" .44

C&L
budliteguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by budliteguy »

Hey Hal what type of sights do you have on that 1895. Good looking levergun.
Oh I have a Rossi short Barrel carbine with a large lever, Its good for show but not the best for serious shooting, Anyone have a spare standard lever they would part with? I'd like to change the Large lever out.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

BTW, someone was selling a large loop for a Marlin in the classifieds here.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

budliteguy wrote: Anyone have a spare standard lever they would part with? I'd like to change the Large lever out.
Yep, I want to exchange with you.

I have a Rossi 92 that is just begging for a bigger lever. I could, maybe, have it in the mail to you by Monday, if you still want to trade.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

ttt
ImageImage
Billy Boy
Levergunner 1.0

To each his own!

Post by Billy Boy »

I agree with some of the anti-LLL diatribe some of you have set forth herein. I, on the other hand needed a new lever to finish a p/g to s/g 336 conversion and went with the DRC unit from Brownells. I couldn't be happier with said unit! Not at all obtrusive. Actually quite understated IMHO.
BB

:wink:
You can get alot further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone!
Al Capone
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

If anything, we need levers longer , rather than bigger.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Travis Morgan wrote:No scopes, no large loops, no lasers or 203's.
I dunno, an M203 could be useful IMO... :?

:lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Yeah, I wouldn't mind using an M-203 on a 500 lb. boar. It'd be a large bore on a large boar! I'll stop now, I'm probably being a BORE!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer