The Shuttle Endeavor

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

The Shuttle Endeavor

Post by olyinaz »

The space shuttle Endeavor landed at LAX yesterday just a few minutes ahead of me. As we taxied to parking, stopping a few times for traffic, we got a great look at her and it was a real treat for the crew and our passengers.

This is at the United hangar on the southwest side of LAX. Just out of frame to the left is a massive crane that I assume is going to lift her off the 747 and settle her onto transport for a journey to the Los Angeles Science Museum. I look forward to seeing it there!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Shuttle Endeavor

Post by 2ndovc »

Great picture!!

That must be wild flying that sucker on top of that 747!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

2ndovc wrote:Great picture!!

That must be wild flying that sucker on top of that 747!

jb 8)
+1 I'd like to see the wind tunnel air flow tests on that one!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Good shot. I blew it. I was all over the LA basin Friday, in some really good places to take photos. Timing was all wrong. I get home, and the darned thing flew over so close to my place it rattled the windows. Naturally, my camera gear was still in the truck. Oh well, at least I can say I saw it's last flight. When they move it in a few weeks, I already have a spot picked out to take photos, and I'll likely take the day off so I can make sure to be there.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Okay, for some reason I see no picture, just the word image. :roll:
I always wondered why they picked the 747 for piggy-back duties instead of the C-5 which to me seems more logical with it's lower center of gravity (high wing) and designed to haul more weight. What am I missing?
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

Well, I'm no flight engineer, but it would seem the the low wing of the shuttle would interfere with the high wing of the C-5. Regardless, that must be one heck of a brick to fly.
Well done is better than well said.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:Okay, for some reason I see no picture, just the word image. :roll:
I always wondered why they picked the 747 for piggy-back duties instead of the C-5 which to me seems more logical with it's lower center of gravity (high wing) and designed to haul more weight. What am I missing?
I think the 747 actually hauls more weight than a C-5. It's a pretty amazing airplane.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

jeepnik wrote:Good shot. I blew it. I was all over the LA basin Friday, in some really good places to take photos. Timing was all wrong. I get home, and the darned thing flew over so close to my place it rattled the windows. Naturally, my camera gear was still in the truck. Oh well, at least I can say I saw it's last flight. When they move it in a few weeks, I already have a spot picked out to take photos, and I'll likely take the day off so I can make sure to be there.
I look forward to the pictures!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:( :( The last shuttle....the last SR-71....the last Concord....seems like we go backwards instead of forwards :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

They towed them across the desert from Palmdale to Edwards AFB.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Saw the tiles being put on the first Shuttle (Columbia) when I was at Palmdale in the late 70's and a Lockheed engineer took me to the Rockwell hanger for a brief look. It was an awesome sized machine close up!! Also saw the 747 to carry it on a trip to Edwards on the same visit. Seems like a lifetime ago now :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Borregos wrote:Saw the tiles being put on the first Shuttle (Columbia) when I was at Palmdale in the late 70's and a Lockheed engineer took me to the Rockwell hanger for a brief look. It was an awesome sized machine close up!! Also saw the 747 to carry it on a trip to Edwards on the same visit. Seems like a lifetime ago now :D :D
It's funny how impressions work. The fist time I saw the shuttle Enterprise up close I thought to myself, "Wow, that thing is actually really small." Makes sense for something you have to push up into space with a rocket, but that was what grabbed me.

Old Savage wrote:They towed them across the desert from Palmdale to Edwards AFB.

They're going to tow this guy to where it's going as well. It will be in good company with this one there:

http://www.pbase.com/olyinaz/image/77116991/original

CIA A-12 bird.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

This was today's pic on Plane-A-Day:

September 24, 2012 - Space Shuttle Endeavor on Boeing 747
Endeavor captured by Sam Bulger on its way through Houston
CREDIT - Sam Bulger

In the late-90s they brought one of the Shuttles to Ft Campbell. Ft Campbell was one of the alternate strips (I presume for the combo rather than the Shuttle itself) and every so often the combo would have to use one of the alternates. Kind of a qualification or refresher I guess.

Anyway, there was an open house scheduled for the time it was going to be there, 1-2 days IIRC. Turns out there was a hurricane headed for south FL so they kept it there along with some SpecOps birds that flew up from McDill (MacDill? I've forgotten) to avoid the weather. They wound up staying close to a week and the local schools were scheduling times to bus the kids out there to see the Shuttle up close.

When the Shuttle combo left it passed over my house at around 0630 on a Saturday morning. I'm pretty sure I have pics of the combo on the runway from the open house but I didn't get any of the flyover.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I saw a funny on FB....a pic of the space shuttle on the 747, and the caption was "If it can carry the space shuttle, I'm calling BS on overweight baggage fees" 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

taken over the USS IOWA in San Pedro, CA .....

Cheers,

Carl
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Jayhawker wrote:Well, I'm no flight engineer, but it would seem the the low wing of the shuttle would interfere with the high wing of the C-5.
Well that makes sense, I could picture the air flow over the C-5 wing getting disturbed by the shuttle wings and affecting flight characteristics negatively.
Last edited by Ji in Hawaii on Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

:o :shock: Dsang... you guys... Here I thoughts that space shutrtle was all so powerful and all that it was hauling the 747! :lol:
I was wondering how much air flow would effect the usual handlings of the 747... The Endevor probably did not contribute any lift with its stubby wings.
Blaine, I agree with that statement.." :( :( The last shuttle....the last SR-71....the last Concord....seems like we go backwards instead of forwards :roll: "
Wish they would find a less fuel used approach to going to space.like simply taking the stealth and get up to speed and into the stratus and send thenew transporter on its way...
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

BlaineG wrote::( :( The last shuttle....the last SR-71....the last Concord....seems like we go backwards instead of forwards :roll:
From this...

to this...

back to this
Last edited by Ji in Hawaii on Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BlaineG wrote::( :( The last shuttle....the last SR-71....the last Concord....seems like we go backwards instead of forwards :roll:
+ 1 :(

I remember seeing one of the shuttles blast off in Florida back in the mid-80's. It was a sight to see!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Apparently the high wing carrier and low wing shuttle is not a huge problem!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
jshinal
Levergunner

Post by jshinal »

Check out the guys at SpaceX - private firm building great rockets. As a 'forever' fan of aviation and space history, I think they're doing great work with that historic flair. http://www.spacex.com/

There's also the new Delta Heavy, which gets me as excited as the old iron ever has : http://www.losangeles.af.mil/shared/med ... 4B-011.jpg

I got to see Challenger on it's last series of flights before the disaster. I recommend anyone who can do so, attend a launch at Cape Canaveral. The sounds of the launch chatter building to the big moment...it's truly a thrill. There are plenty of Atlas V and Delta launches still going on, and eventually SpaceX will send some manned Dragon flights from there also.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I got to see the first landing at Edwards AF base when I was a kid and I saw the landing at LAX.I wish I could have seen a launch!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here