HSC (handgun safety certificate)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

HSC (handgun safety certificate)

Post by pwl44m »

Figured I would just start a new thread for this as I have a little venting to doo.
First off My Military training should serve as My safety certificate. Not a STUPID test that has questions that do NOT pertain to sfaety in the least. For instance- Q. if a person is convicted of a felony, how long does He/She lose the privilidge to purchase a Handgun ? A. for life. Pray tell "what does that have to do with Me buying a Hand Gun and being safe with it"?
Q. What is the age One must attain to be able to buy a Handgun/Long gun. A. 21 and 18 respectively. Againn ?????? :roll:
Then all the Lawyer phrased questions. In reading the hanbook through once and taking the self tests at the end of each chapter I still missed 1. Of course I think they are wrong on that one. They say that the Safety on any given Gun should be considered as the secondary Safety as opposed to the Primary Safety.
There are 30 questions and You are allowed to miss 7- I was told.
I guess I'm done , Ur thoughts. No I aint movin. :lol:
Perry
P.S. While I'm at it for all U old timers. What is the safest direction to point a weapon as U were taught in Hunter Safety ? They changed it. I will let U respond then give the new answer.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: HSC (handgun safety certificate)

Post by FWiedner »

Is that some training requirement to get a carry permit or a hunting license?

:?:

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

@ FWiedner, NO that is just to buy a Handgun in Kalifornia.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I suppose that there are both advantages and disadvantages to the availability of 'training.'

Training is required before a person is allowed to purchase?

Was it primarily directed at safety issues or was it more information about gun laws in CA?

It's been 30 years since I bought a gun in CA, and back then all they had was a waiting period of 7 or 10 days, and I thought that was a pain.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

The HSC is just another way for the state to have a revenue source. I believe it has to be renewed every 5 years. IIRC You also have to have a state approved safe or state approved lock before taking that handgun home. It's just like the $50 plus in fees IIRC you pay every time you buy a firearm or the $3000 per handgun that manufacturers have to pay every year, to stay on the "approved" handgun list.

It was 9 years ago that my wife's company blessed us with a transfer out of that state. OR may be a politically "blue" state because of 2 BIG liberal counties, in the Portland metro area, but it's still (thankfully) a "shall issue" CHL, Class 3, and instant background check state.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

There is no "training" it's just a stupid test, to "qualify" us to buy one. PWL is right, the questions are BS. Used to be if you were in the Service, or recently released, you didn't have to take such stupidity, but it IS just one more way to hold us accountable for something they drum up later.

It's a load of stuff. Period.
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

My GAWD ! If this isn't an infringement of the 2nd Amendment I don't know what is.

I had no idea california played this game. This just stinks. A once great state ...

I know you said moving is out. If it was me, moving would be the plan. Along with a letter telling the state that they
just lost yet another taxpayer, and why. California cannot afford to drive any more of its productive people out of the state.
Not any longer. They're broke and we all know it.

You know, if the federal government thinks it's going to bail California out yet again there needs to be a tax revolt in this country.
The state is in the mess it's in because of stupid stuff just like this. I'm sorry that you have to stay. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

pwl44m wrote: P.S. While I'm at it for all U old timers. What is the safest direction to point a weapon as U were taught in Hunter Safety ? They changed it. .

When I took a hunter safety course with my daughter, they were teaching to keep it pointed up.

I dont like that answer for several reasons.

1. If an accidental discharge occured, nothing is there to stop the bullet.
2. I have never seen anyone die from accidently being shot in the foot or leg. However, an accidental gunshot wound to the head or chest has proved to be fatal.
3. Kids need to understand that you dont point a gun in an unsafe direction. When they throw a gun over their shoulder with the muzzle behind them, they do not comprehend where that muzzle is pointing at all times.

I prefer to carry a weapon with the muzzle so that I can see what it crosses the path of. The only good answer the conservation officer could give me teaching the class is that it keeps mud out of the barrel. Which I also commented back, I have never known anyone to die from a gun having a plugged barrel blowing up. Yes some minor injuries and a loss of a good gun but hey everyone typically lives through it.

KEEP YOUR GUN AT THE LOW READY!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

Yeah, the HSC and the test that goes with it are silly. One of the exemptions is retired military, which is how I get out of it, but I don't think I had more than 10 minutes of firearms training during my entire naval career and that was in boot camp back in 1972. I'm not sure how that makes me qualified to be exempt, but I'll not argue with the obviously fine-tuned intellect our lawmakers possess. :lol:
Well done is better than well said.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Wish that that was the only revenue only stupidity of California! For those who don't know California requires essentially everyone who does anything with children to get fingerprint background checks. Want to volunteer at school or church you have to get a fingerprint background check for each! Worse California DOJ turned it's back on the situation when it was discovered that one livescan operator with over 200 livescans (the computers that capture fingerprints for the fingerprint background check amongst other things) is using his Egyptian company TEDATA for his support/call center! And we know how friendly Egypt is right now. Oh yeah this was discovered in the past couple of weeks! :evil:
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Every time I see some nonsense like this I thank God for giving me Wyoming for my home.
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

jnyork wrote:Every time I see some nonsense like this I thank God for giving me Wyoming for my home.
Me, too.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

I have never had to get the handgun safety certificate because I am an ex-leo.Neither should you!Do you still have military ID?
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Yep, no training (But, when I got my wife some Pepper Spray a few years ago, in CA, she had to sit through a 30 minute video and take a short test). Just some counter person hands you a book and when you're done you hand it to a "certified" instructor for grading. Some of the questions are just informational, not safety oriented. I think the felon question has merit. If I was thinking about commiting a felony, I'd consider my loss of handgun privileges and of course not commit that felony :lol: :lol:

CA is a sad, sad place to live...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Y'all don't have any lawyers out there that will sue the state :?: :?: :?:
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

I took the BFSC in early 2002. Cost $20, and good for life.
1 year later it is not good for life, now need HSC, and is $25 every 5 years.
How can you score if they keep moving the goal posts?
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

My sympathies. I live in Illinois and we have to renew our FOID (Firearm Owners Identification Card) every 5 years. I can't buy ammo without it or even touch a gun at a show.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

For Those that asked, all it does is allow You to buy a Handgun, without it You aint buying one from a Dealer and if U buy one from a private party and do a "Private Party Transfer" You need one. And You do need a Cable lock before You can take it from the Store and U have to have a receipt for the lock dated within 10 days of the date U pick up the Gun. For a Long Gun all You need is a Drivers license and The Model of Your Safe. You sign an affadavit stating that You have a Safe and the model #. Sherrifs Depts and the Hwy Patrol have Public Seminars to protect the Children wherein They Give away cable locks. The paperwork in the bag with the lock says California Dept of Justice approved. U Can't use it to Pick Up Your Gun. I think most Gun manufacturers now pack locks with Their Guns.
Jdad, it is supposed to be $25 for a DOJ background check and if You do a private Party The Dealer is allowed to charge $10 for His time and holding the Gun for 10 days. Most Dealers are even charging the 10 bucks on Their inventoy Guns that They sell.
For the answer to "What is the safest dir to point a weapon" answer is mutiple choice A-up B.-down C. ? D.- in a safe direction. When I took My HSC (Hunter Safety Course) We were taught to keep it pointed down until ready to shoot.
Retired Military is exempt. A Draftee such as Myself is not. You have to retire with at least 20 years service. I don't think Leo's are exempt unless it is going to be a Carry Gun and then they need a letter from Their Commander.
Rusty,We have Lawyers, but if the NRA can't beatem Who Ya gonna call ? We had a propisition on the ballot some 25 years and defeated it overwhelmingly. They just ignored votes and did what they wanted. NRA fought for a number of years with no success, so they finally gave up. They now know that They can't ask Us so they just make Laws without Our approval.
Now U really wanna hear a good one. We can only Buy One "New" Handgun per month. But We can Buy as many Used ones as We want or can afford. I think I'm done. Just tryin to fill the rest of the World in as to what it is like in Good Ol Cali. Stay Put Friends unless U want to come help Us out of this mess.
Perry
Just noticed another Post before I submitted this one. @ Birdman- U need to get outta there :lol: We can still buy ammo without the card and there is no charge to look at Guns at a Show or otherwise.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Rusty wrote:Y'all don't have any lawyers out there that will sue the state :?: :?: :?:
Yea we have em, but there's no money for them to win so they are not interested.

Honestly, CA is a great place to live, but some of the laws are unbelievably moronic. The cable lock is a perfect example. There are a LOT of other states that also have stupid laws like these, but I bet they don't advertise them.

If Los Angeles and San Fransisco both slid into the ocean after the next big quake, the state would go red in a heartbeat. We just cannot compete with their numbers. There is almost 10,000,000 people in that county ALONE! Most, by a long shot, are liberal.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Handirifle -Most by a LOOOOOng shot Are Illegal also.
It's funny U mentioned Earthquakes and sliding off into the Ocean. I have an Aunt that moved from here for that very Reason. Where did She move to ? Oklahoma :lol: Absolutely NO offense intended.. I figure if it happens I might have Beachfront Property. :D
Perry
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

handirifle wrote:
Rusty wrote:Y'all don't have any lawyers out there that will sue the state :?: :?: :?:
Yea we have em, but there's no money for them to win so they are not interested.

Honestly, CA is a great place to live, but some of the laws are unbelievably moronic. The cable lock is a perfect example. There are a LOT of other states that also have stupid laws like these, but I bet they don't advertise them.

If Los Angeles and San Fransisco both slid into the ocean after the next big quake, the state would go red in a heartbeat. We just cannot compete with their numbers. There is almost 10,000,000 people in that county ALONE! Most, by a long shot, are liberal.
Well, not quite true about lawyers; but it is a constant battle here on the front lines of fighting for the 2nd amendment. Most recently, the Cal F&G voted with shooters not to expand the lead ban statwide, thanks to NRA, CRPA and GOA.
Haare's a list of just some of the stuff we deal with here. http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/about/ ... ately.html
otteray