I got a paycheck this month...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

I got a paycheck this month...

Post by AJMD429 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Now some of you guys are young enough or just for whatever reason haven't ever run your own business, so that probably sounds silly - why wouldn't someone in his fifties get a paycheck every month, unless he was a welfare-leech or total loser...?

On the other hand, I know you guys who have run your own businesses, whether landscaping, shoe-shining, or owning an oil-tanker, know the deal. You go months or even years without any pay, handing over money to suppliers, employees, and the guvmint like it's candy, but none for yourself until you make a 'profit' (that evil, greedy, capitalist thing).

Anyhoo, got a paycheck after a lean summer (primary care docs these days have to commit what I'd call fraud, to make sure certain insurers I won't name make good profits, unless we want continued government harassment - we can't actually bill for our real services or time, but have to lie and say we did less than we really did, or spent less time than we really did, in order to keep in their good graces). So. . . I got a new upper in .300 Blackout. Can't wait to shoot it.

Range Report will be forthcoming. :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Re: I got a paycheck this month...

Post by Nazgul »

Congrats on the paycheck! I work for a great company and get paid regularly. My best friend owns his own business, called me the other day and said the account made a mistake. There wasn't a (-) sign before the bottom line. Turns out he got paid too!

Let us know how the 300 Blackout works. I am intriqued by this round.

Don
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

:D Great news. Now lets hope the rest of the year works out the same for you.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

I've never been in business for myself and I don't understand. If you go long periods without any pay, how do you buy groceries each week, utilities, etc. Does your wife work?
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Chas. wrote:I've never been in business for myself and I don't understand. If you go long periods without any pay, how do you buy groceries each week, utilities, etc. Does your wife work?
Many farmers have to live on income generated only a few times per year. In between they live on that income in the bank and on borrowed bank money if need be.

I talked to my renter in Minnesota the other day and they've had a good year up there and will do very well this season, but MANY farmers this year are going to be completely bust due to drought. Flat out BROKE going into the winter. It's going to be a tough Christmas and year for many farmers. :(

Congrats Doc! Hope you have fun with it and post a range report soon.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

OK I will be the Dummy to ask for any one not in the know. Tell us more about the 300 blackout as I have never heard of it. Obviously They forgot to tell U not to spend it all in one Place !! :lol:
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

pwl44m wrote:OK I will be the Dummy to ask for any one not in the know. Tell us more about the 300 blackout as I have never heard of it. Obviously They forgot to tell U not to spend it all in one Place !! :lol:
Perry

basically a slightly warmed over 300 Whisper -- a 5.56/223 necked up to shoot .30 caliber bullets --- can go sub sonic with heavy bullets for nice silencer friendly firearms -- can use the same bcg as a regular AR and the same magazines

been contemplating this myself -- got a deal on a Noveske AR stripped upper and lower set some time ago, but no barrel -- would like to keep it all Noveske if possible -- but i have 223/5.56 stuff spilling out of my truck , seemingly, everytime i open the doors, so i was going to try a 300 for something different myself
----- Doug
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Chas. wrote:I've never been in business for myself and I don't understand. If you go long periods without any pay, how do you buy groceries each week, utilities, etc. Does your wife work?
You learn self-discipline, that's for sure.

In a typical year, my monthly 'distributions' might run something like this:
  • Jan - negative $5,000 (you live off savings)
    Feb - negative $2,000 (still live off savings)
    Mar - positive $1,500 (still live off savings, PLUS pay quarterly taxes of around $8,000)
    • (that's the month I'd like to see elections held :evil: )
      (in addition, my quarterly health-insurance premium of $4,500 is due)
    Apr - positive $5,500 (that money all goes to start paying back what we've lived on)
    May - positive $24,000 ($8k for taxes we've already paid, set aside another $8k for next taxes)
    Jun - positive $18,000 (now mostly paid up the money borrowed to live on)
    • (...but another $8k in taxes and second $4,500 health insurance premium due)
    Jul - positive $2,500 (glad I didn't buy that new Winchester I thought I could afford last month)
    Aug - positive $26,000 (feel 'rich' now, but still haven't caught up with most of my 'laborer' friends)
    Sep - positive $16,000 (getting there, after adjustment of quarterlies)
    • (...only $6,000 goes to taxes this time, $4,500 health insurance same though)
    Oct - positive $2,500 (three-month payroll to meet, office copier broke, flu shots to buy)
    Nov - positive $1,100 (insurers try to get away with non-payment around this time of year)
    • (they realize many patients change plans Jan 1, and won't care if Dr. didn't get paid)
    Dec - negative $5,000 (patients don't want to pay 'co-pays' this time of year)
    • (patients want us to 'just bill them', unaware that without that $20 co-pay, we LOSE money on the visit)
      If we have not squandered too much money on silly stuff, we will be able to pay the fourth health-insurance premium of $4,500 from savings, pay our other bills, groceries, gas, and so on, AND have enough left for a bunch of cool Christmas presents.
I don't recite any of this for sympathy - In twenty-five years of being a family physician, my lowest pay was $29,000 or so, and my highest was $150,000 or so (worked just as hard both years :roll: ); my average income is better than it would be doing anything else I know how to do or could stand doing (I do have a pharmacy degree and could activate my license, but I've seen those poor guys spending all day on the phone/computer arguing with insurers and having to deal with irate patients who blame THEM for the price of drugs, and with pressures from ten directions threatening their paycheck if they don't push for one or another brand switch, or whatever - no way I could do that...! Any excess income I'd make vs. now would be spent on counseling and shock-treatments.)

I recite it just as a honest example of what probably every 'business owner' deals with month to month. Sure, some businesses are more 'steady', but some are far less so. Some make tons of money, some don't, but regardless, for those of us who do it, it's worth the fluctuation either because either:
  • a) we just aren't the kind of person who would 'do well' as an employee, or
    b) we hope the end-of-year pay total will be higher than if we'd gone the 'safe' route
I do really think it would be a better world if everyone spent at least some time as a 'business owner', so they had to deal with the taxes and regulations and 'employee benefits' garbage out there. People would probably vote better, if nothing else. Plus, it would be a good education in 'self-discipline'. . .

What I mean by self-discipline is that if you've already had to borrow from last-year's savings to pay for the basics - food, mortgage, fuel, taxes (...if you ever have the joy of borrowing money to pay taxes on 'income' you haven't even earned yet, it WILL make you into a small-government Libertarian... :evil: ), insurance, etc., then you hit the point in the year where "it starts to roll-in", you may find yourself with a pay-check saying "$28,000" on it. Most of my friends if they got a check like that would be putting $20,000 down on a new Corvette, because:
  • a) 'taxes' are already taken out,
    b) 'health-insurance' is already taken out, and
    c) they know the same check will come every month.
The self-employed person, be he a doctor, roofer, landscaper, or whatever, will take that $28,000 check and reward himself with at most a few-hundred-dollar 'splurge', then
  • a) tuck away at least $8,000 for taxes,
    b) take out at least enough for a month's worth (typically $1,100 individual to $1,700 family) of health insurance premiums, and
    c) double or triple what he takes out for the insurance, if paychecks aren't predictable.
It's a whole different world being self-employed, no matter what your actual occupation or business.

I choose it because I'm just too darned snotty to be a good-little-employee; I tried it once, but the employer wanted me to shorten office visits to an average of under six minutes, order more of whatever tests were money-makers for certain insurance companies (necessary or not), and cut corners by not ordering things I felt important or necessary if they might lose the wrong insurance company any money. I suspect most self-employed individuals have had similar experiences, or just don't want to be told what to wear, or who they have to work with, or that they can't come in fifteen minutes late but work an hour past usual hours to make it up.

I make decent money, and could make a bunch more if I changed some things (and I will periodically change things to make more money if I see those things as good medical care). I don't mind the long work-hours, and I don't mind the unpredictable paychecks. Sure, I've got patients who are hairdressers who make more in a year than I do, but they are doing something people want, and not hiding behind third-party payers like insurance companies the way most doctors do, so I respect them and don't resent their income one bit. Likewise, I know people who I think work even harder than I do, or do jobs that are far more stressfull or dangerous than mine, yet don't make a fourth as much money as I do. Ultimately if there is a free-market economy without government interference, everyone winds up with the amount of pay and the job that is 'fair', based upon competition and the value placed on their labor by their fellow citizens/customers. It's either that, or have the government set rates - we all know how that goes. :roll:

I think I'm speaking for ALL self-employed people though, when I say we DO mind the utterly ridiculous level of paperwork required by the government - not only the tax-man, but all the other regulatory agencies with an axe to grind or an agenda to enforce. The counterproductive, money-wasting, inefficient, and sometimes dangerous things the regulators and pencil-pushers demand is VERY irritating.

As for me personally, I most definitely can't complain about my job, because
  • a) I have one (...lots of people out there who don't... :( )
    b) the main people I have to answer to are my customers - NOT some idiot-boss dude
    c) it is a job I actually enjoy - problem-solving, teaching, and dealing with (usually) nice people
    d) it is a job I think sometimes actually helps people be healthier, or happier, or live longer

Add to that the ability to be self-employed (for those who choose that path), and it's awesome...!
Now if I could find a like-minded partner or two, so I could actually get enough coverage to take two or three weeks off and go out west and see some of the areas I read about, or go elk-hunting or something, I think I'd have the ideal job...!
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JReed wrote::D Great news. Now lets hope the rest of the year works out the same for you.
+ a BIG 1!!!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Here's a GunBlast article on one brand of upper - http://www.gunblast.com/300Blackout.htm

The developer's website - http://300aacblackout.com/

Pics of a Remington subsonic and supersonic factory load. 220 grain and 125 grain respectively. I think the bullet in the supersonic load must be from a bunch of defective ones - they all have a 'wrap-around' look to the front of the jacket.
300 AAC Rounds.jpg
Now I first thought about this type thing when I saw a Ruger .44 Mag bolt-action that had an integral suppressor, and a rifling twist set up to shoot 300+ grain bullets at 900-1000 fps. It was in the possession of a Fish and Game guy who said he had it made for dealing with medium-sized animals needing killed in populated areas.

Always wanting something 'better' than the other-guy, I immediately thought about that .45-70 barrel for my Encore rifle that I never really used. . . :twisted: The thought of a 700 grainer just chugging along at 900 fps or so sounded really fun. Everyone told me "You can't do that" because a .45 ACP suppressor couldn't handle the pressure, but I have seen YouTube videos of .50 BMG's with suppressors, and I'm thinking those can take larger gas-volumes AND higher pressures than my "cat-sneeze" loads for .45-70 would generate.

Anyway, after seeing how much larger-caliber suppressors COST, and thinking less along the lines of one-upping the F&G dude's .44 Mag rifle, I chanced on a deal to get an integral suppressor for my .22 LR levergun, and after a year had one in my hands. Thus started my new phase of "Stamp Collecting" (as in $200 transfer-stamps). About a year ago I started a "can fund" for a Mystic .357 caliber suppressor, and put $50 in it every time I got a chance. After eight months I had enough saved and ordered the suppressor, and another four months later it arrived (the Mystics are VERY popular for several reasons). I'd already set aside the $200 for the stamp, so the paperwork has been sent in. Supposedly in about six or eight months they will decide I'm "OK" and I can actually pick up the suppressor.

My original intent was to use it for my various .22 LR's that are threaded, plus use it on my .357 Max Contender and/or .22 Hornet Contenders once I get them threaded. I still wanted to get a 'dedicated' gun for it though, and thought about another Encore barrel in some .357 or smaller cartridge, OR a .32-20 (maybe even a levergun), just because that is such a cool round.

I checked out the .32-20 seriously, and thought about a .308" barrel (like the Encores) with a 1:8 twist, and using the heaviest bullets I could send downrage at Encore pressures, at around 900 fps or so. Problem was, I couldn't find any loading data for REALLY heavy bullets in the .32-20 (like 220 grains or so). It seemed possible, and one of the reasons was the .300 AAC Blackout's case-size was not too much different, and it was being used for HIGH-velocity loads as well. I thought also about other similar cartridges, but then the other issue was with a custom-barrel like that, the throat would have to be different than normal manufacturing, to allow the extremely long bullets vs. what is usually used in the .32-20.

The 'Whisper' series of cartridges are great (check out the SSK website), and I also liked the .338 Whisper, as well as the .308 caliber one. There are actually two 'series' based on the .223 case and based on the .221 Fireball case, I think. Anyway, the .300 Whisper(s) never were standardized enough to get popular enough to find ammo or even brass for them, but the 300 AAC Blackout made the grade, and seems to have taken over the .308 caliber group. I don't know what cartridge won the .338 contest.

In the meantime, every time I'd go to the local toy-store, I'd keep hearing this voice calling to me, and it was this upper they had hanging on the wall there in .300 AAC Blackout.

So, like in my verbose post earlier about the joys and self-discipline of being self-employed, I just had to celebrate a bit and reward myself. THIS time when I left the toy-store, the little voice came with me... 8)

Now another six months or so, and I will hopefully have the Mystic to put on the AAC Blackout upper - it will be SO nice to have a 'ranch' rifle that is of medium-power, durable design, AND requires no hearing protection. (Of course knowing me, after that, I'll likely decide it would be better to have a .357 Mag levergun with an integrally-suppressed barrel, since I STILL like leverguns best of all...)

[...AHEM... "little voice" for those pointy-heads or bureaucrats who may be listening, is what might be called a 'literary device', to add a bit of humor and make an otherwise post less boring. So don't call out the swat team and spooks and tinfoil-hat crowd just yet. The only 'little voice' actually to be heard was the one when I came home that said "I see you went to the gun shop again - you didn't buy another GUN, did you. . . ???" "Why no, dear, I didn't buy a gun; just a part for one I already have. . . " :wink: ]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

We appreciate You Doc.I wish My Doctor was as Young as Yourself then maybe He would outlast Me but as it is He is older and Retiring soon. I must say though in My life I have only had 3 regular Doctors but I hate breaking in a New one.
Enough of that. That looks like an interesting round. Looks like a 30 Remington Short. :lol: or a necked down 30 Carbine.
Let Us know how it shoots.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Happy for you Doc. Working for yourself has it's intrinsic values also. I have one my own business for 9 years now. I kpt a day job during that time to pay the bills and didn't take a paycheck from my business for 7 years, reinvesting it into the business and new hires I am working slowly to make the transition to no day day job and just continue in the business. My fears are this coming election and what the crushing govt regs will do to my business, so I hunker down and see. Would hate to close up shop,after all this work but time will tell. Hope your fall is a good one. Blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

...if you ever have the joy of borrowing money to pay taxes on 'income' you haven't even earned yet
When I owned my business, this was the hardest thing to explain to ones who did not. Even my Father, after showing him the estimated tax receipts thought I was trying to pull the wool over his eyes.

Keep digg'n...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Time Hunter wrote:When I owned my business, this was the hardest thing to explain to ones who did not.
Yep - I just cringe when I hear my employees or others say things like "I got back $2,000 on my taxes". . . :roll: If they only knew.

I guess it's like hearing someone say things like "My health insurance costs me $140 a month..." THAT one just makes me laugh out loud sometimes - these are the same people who would crow about a $1.00/hr raise, yet they are oblivious to the fact that their wages are $6.50/hr less because of those wonderful "benefits". . . :roll:

Anyway, I don't mean to sound like non-business-owners are a bunch of dummies, but there definitely needs to be some education for them about how the 'system' works, and how they are being screwed. (You can bet there'd be far fewer Democrat voters come election-time...!) At least the business owners know how we're being screwed. :D

handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

AJMD
It's good to always hear both sides. My step dad (I always called him my dad though) was a business man. started in his parents garage and for a time was VERY successful. He used to talk a lot about all the stuff he had to go through to bring home a paycheck. He retired and sold off the business in the late 80's.

As for Dr's, my daughter is an ICU-RN, and I always tell her, I have no interest in doing anything medical, but I thank God all the time for those that do. You guys, in my opinion, are the greatest unsung hero's there are. I see and hear the crazy hours you put in before, during and after work. I know a lot of mistakes are made, Dr's are human too. Personally I think medical costs would start to come under control, if we limited lawsuits to GROSS negligence, and fraud.

I am a retired Air Traffic Controller, for almost 27 yrs, and can tell you mistakes are made there everyday too. Some you can work out of, some you can't. We had the luxury of not being able to be sued except for proven gross negligence. Basically, we would have had to do something on purpose. Would be nice if it worked that way for everyone. Then only lawyers would be unemployed.

On the 300 Whisper, hope it works good for ya. I think it sounds like a neat little round. I used to have an AR lower, but never had or spent the$$ to do anything with it. Shootin the M-16 in 72 kinda turned me against them, and I guess I never really got over it. I do think I wouldn't mind a 300 in my mini 14 though.

For first 150yds or so that thing would really ring the bell of a bad guy. Basically a 7.62 x 39, while using 223 magazines. All the bennies of the 7.62, with none of the bad stuff, like .311 dia bullets, and not .308, and non rimmed brass for more reliable feeding, especially in AR's.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Glad you got it.
I'm working by the hour after 37 years of self employment. And only $11 per hour and no beniefiets. I do get SS and I will make it. I made the mistake on selling by bus. to my son-in-law for $20.000 and payments. Everything was ok for a couple years and now he stopped making payments. Yes, I have a good contract, but am very reluctant to go to court as I want to see my daughter and grandkids. So I work for the $11 per hour. All I can hope for is that he does good and will start to pay out of guilt.

Owen
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Good for you Doc. Hope you like the upper and the round. As far as the insurers, they rip off Pharmacies, too. They pay us back less than what it costs us to buy the pills on all brand drugs, even if they are new and a generic is not available for many years. If they do that to us, and I work for a big company with about 7,000 pharmacy locations, then I can only imagine what they do to you.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I have a cousin whose husband owned a trucking and trucking repair business.
Back in the 1980s well over a million bucks passed through his hands each year.

He got to keep something like $35k after fuel, insurance, taxes and all the rest.

Just like our good doctor, he worked VERY hard for the insurance companies each
year, so he did! :evil: :evil: :evil:

I once discussed a woodworking partnership with a friend of mine. We had the tools,
space, know-how, enthusiasm, time, and a marketing plan to make it work. Then we
talked to the insurance agent. We would have had to double, or maybe triple our projected
output to be able to pay that ONE bill and make us both a living. End of story.....
-Stretch
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

stretch wrote:I have a cousin whose husband owned a trucking and trucking repair business.
Back in the 1980s well over a million bucks passed through his hands each year.

He got to keep something like $35k after fuel, insurance, taxes and all the rest.

Just like our good doctor, he worked VERY hard for the insurance companies each
year, so he did! :evil: :evil: :evil:

I once discussed a woodworking partnership with a friend of mine. We had the tools,
space, know-how, enthusiasm, time, and a marketing plan to make it work. Then we
talked to the insurance agent. We would have had to double, or maybe triple our projected
output to be able to pay that ONE bill and make us both a living. End of story.....
-Stretch
And not a few of our Socialist Politicians would like to see businesses taxed on their throughput rather than their Net... :evil:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Chas, you ain't ever heard the phrase, "the successful cowboy is the one who's wife has a job in town"? Well, most individually owned businesses are much the same way. As a truck owner, I tried that "fleet" thing, with breakdowns and employee taxes, I worked so they could keep running... they took vacations and sick time and... well... "I just don't feel like workin'" days... I didn't, couldn't, or something was going back to the bank. Wife worked so we could pay the taxes... Frankly, I'd come by the house for a home cooked meal, and there'd be no food in the house... I'd ask the wife why, and she'd tell me some bill or other HAD to be paid, she was doin' ok on crackers and milk. I'd get so mad I could spit... and more'n the tobacco juice I chew! I don't understand how the little fat girl maintains her figure!

I got rid of the extra trucks... and EMPLOYEES, in fact, the last one I just paid off and GAVE it to my son, just to rid myself of the maintenance costs... and now I make money... not much, but can every once in a while splurge and get myself a toy. I'm even working on the projects I picked up and started before I thought I was going to get off the road and only sit in the office managing... pipe dream there!

Congrats, Doc. I picked up a Cimmaron 1878 Colt hammered double barrel, all tuned, slicked up and ready to race!

Now it's back to the grindstone for 6-weeks so I can afford to take 5 days off and attend a match in NE TX.

Ask any sole proprietership, what they think of the phrase, "I'm from the gov't and I'm here to help?" This picture explains it best:

The gov't has never built any business except the collection of fees and taxes...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!