35 Whelen Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

35 Whelen Question

Post by Bullard4075 »

I have a chance at a real nice (perfect really) Remington 7400 in 35 Whelen for a little more than
5 Bills. Anyone have experience with this gun and or calibure ?
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: 35 Whelen Question

Post by Old Savage »

Should be a potent combo to about 250 yds.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Personally I'm not a fan of the Remington autoloaders due to past history with them. The pump guns in the same series are an entirely different story tho.

I really like the .35 Whelen. It was developed as a poor man's .375 H&H. I don't believe it's actually in that league but if you look at your loading manuals you'll see it's within about 200 fps of a .338 Win Mag with any given bullet weight. I'm a little more optimistic about it's range than Old Savage is...with a proper sight in I don't think 300 yrds is too far a shot for the Whelen.

There was a guy on the West coast reboring barrels of .30-06 chambered 760 Remingtons to the Whelen a few years ago before Remington came out with the factory ones, don't know if he's still doing this or not. I have always wanted a '95 Winchester chambered in the .35 Whelen. To me that would be the perfect deep woods elk rifle.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
allhands
Levergunner 2.0

Post by allhands »

I have a .35whelen, a ruger 77 done over by New England Custom and I absolutely love it. It does recoil quite a bit more than a .30-06, but as was mentioned in the earlier posts, it is some serious power. I handload 200, 250, and 275 grain rounds, and plan to take it to Africa the next time. Absolutely love it!

As to the Remington 7400....well not so much. The newer 7400's are a step up from the 740,742 and 743 but not by much. In my humble opinion, I would not buy one, and would hold out for a bolt gun or pump. Just my 2 cents....
Bill Nowicki
Headed "upta camp"
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I like the Whelen, and in a 7400 it would be a good match. I know some dont care for the 7400, but my Dad has had one for about 30 years and it's never been anything but 100% reliable. Not up to speed on the current market, but a like new one for 5 bills don't sound to bad to me.
NRA Life Member
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

firefuzz wrote:Personally I'm not a fan of the Remington autoloaders due to past history with them. The pump guns in the same series are an entirely different story tho.

I really like the .35 Whelen. It was developed as a poor man's .375 H&H. I don't believe it's actually in that league but if you look at your loading manuals you'll see it's within about 200 fps of a .338 Win Mag with any given bullet weight. I'm a little more optimistic about it's range than Old Savage is...with a proper sight in I don't think 300 yrds is too far a shot for the Whelen.

There was a guy on the West coast reboring barrels of .30-06 chambered 760 Remingtons to the Whelen a few years ago before Remington came out with the factory ones, don't know if he's still doing this or not. I have always wanted a '95 Winchester chambered in the .35 Whelen. To me that would be the perfect deep woods elk rifle.

Rob
I'm with Rob as far as having a big preference for the Remington pumps over the autoloaders. I've seen far too many worn out 742's.

I'd think the Whelen should make a dandy short to medium range elk or bear rifle.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The one 7400 we had went back once for FTF and then worked fine w Rem factory ammo. It would not cycle the 250 gr reloads, the same ones my 7600 shoots under MOA with. I got rid of the 7400. It can be a good rifle for game you'd use the 200 gr bullet on.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I "had" a 700 Classic in 35 Whelen a couple times .

It did really well with Remington 200 grain CoreLokt factory ammo and some handloads . Sorry but I don't remmember what I loaded for it as I traded the rifle off about 15 years ago .

I killed 4 or 5 deer with the Whelen , I had originally bought it to use as an Elk rifle but I never made it out west while I had the gun .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

It's one of the best cartridges ever! I have a 7600 pump rifle (bought it new in 1988) and have made about 10 one shot kills (PA whitetail deer) with it. I use Remington 200 gr PSP Core Lokt ammo and the rifle shoots them very well. You cannot go wrong with the big 35. It'll kill anything in North America and do it well. IMO the recoil isn't worse than a Win. Model 70 FWT in 30-06.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

One of my top "wanta haves"--perhaps in a 70 or 700. I like the fact it's got very decent whompum but still subsonic.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

gak wrote:One of my top "wanta haves"--perhaps in a 70 or 700. I like the fact it's got very decent whompum but still subsonic.
Since about 1100 ft per second is speed of sound, I don't think you to be correct on that.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

BlaineG wrote:
gak wrote:One of my top "wanta haves"--perhaps in a 70 or 700. I like the fact it's got very decent whompum but still subsonic.
Since about 1100 ft per second is speed of sound, I don't think you to be correct on that.
You are right. I misspoke being too loose with nomenclature - meant "non magnum," is a standard action and a member of the .30-06 family.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

gak wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
You are right. I misspoke being too loose with nomenclature - meant "non magnum," is a standard action and a member of the .30-06 family.
I had a nice one in a Rem 700 w/3x9 Leupold, and traded it off for something I never used :oops: :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Glenn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Glenn »

Bullard, I agree with the folks that have misgivings on the Rem 7xx autoloader series. Working the public sight-ins at our range I never saw one that shot well. The Remington pumps, on the other hand shot as good as the bolt guns, every time. A friend asked me to sight in his 742 since he didn't have time (30-06), and the first shot went about 3-4" :shock: higher than subsequent shots from the magazine, every time. Pass on the autoloader, but the 35 Whelen is worth pursuing!
Glenn
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

have the 7600 version of 35W. Shoots very accurately, handles 250 grain bullets great--- have not tried heavier. I'm happy with it!
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

.35 Whelen, one of the "fatal five".

http://35whelen.blogspot.com/
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I don't have any experience with 35 whelen but I can vouch for the 7400. My Dad had one in .30-06 that he used for whitetail, mulies and elk. He had it topped with a 2x7 Leupold that I sighted in for him back in the '80s.

He left the rifle to my youngest sister's husband, who really is a bolt guy, but he has taken a couple of very nice whitetails with it.

The Remington semi-autos and pumps have never really appealed to me but they are very capable hunting rifles.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

I"m passing on the 7400. I value your comments.
But......... if a Whelen comes along in something else.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

@ Bullard4075: Ruger made a limited run of #1 stainless rifles in 35 Whelen a few years ago. Just thought you'd like to know.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Bullard4075 wrote:I"m passing on the 7400. I value your comments.
But......... if a Whelen comes along in something else.
You can be like me...my project/wish list includes a standard length Mauser action (such as a k98 rather than an intermediate such as the M48) with a shot out barrel that can be rebored to 9.3x57, 9.3x62 (IIRC) or .35 Whelen.... :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at