What bullets in 40 S&W

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

What bullets in 40 S&W

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Do you use or prefer? 165gr or 180's. Cant get to exited over the 135's but woud be fun for high velocity blow up water bottle exercize at short range.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What bullets in 40 S&W

Post by COSteve »

I've found that in full power loads, the 165grns are a bit more snappy than the 180grns. However, if you want to shoot longer ranges, the 165grn have a flatter trajectory. Like many things, it depends upon what you want to do with your loads. Most of my 40s are mid to full power and most of the time I load them with 165grn. But, my CCW piece, a G23, is loaded with 180grn Speer Gold Dots.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I usually shoot Laser-Cast 180gr lead but I also shoot 155gr JHPs that I got bulk pack from MidwayUSA (repacked in their blue plastic boxes). Not sure who made them, I think Remington but not sure.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Steve, just got done shooting S&B 180gr factory loads. What a pussycat!! Damienph, how do your loads compare to each other? Am plinking with a Ruger P94.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Goat »

Do not know if you subscribe to the "One Shot Stop" theory of the Marshall and Ayoob school of thought but they used to have rated the 165gr Remington Golden Saber as about as good as it gets from the 40. They also had high marks for the 135gr loads from Cor-Bon which were either Sierras or Noslers component bullets. For what it is worth I have carried both in a G-23 for concealed carry loads. I seldom have to worry about anyone in heavy clothing and have less concern about over penetration with the lighter weight bullet.
I am more convinced than ever that there are three things that are required to stop an attack. They are in order...placement, placement and placement.
Goat
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

3leggedturtle wrote:how do your loads compare to each other? Am plinking with a Ruger P94.
I shoot them through a 4" XD Service model. Recoil feels about the same to me and close to same POI at about 25 yards, which is what I typically shoot it at. The JHPs group a little tighter but both stay inside center mass (usually) on silhouette targets at 25 yards offhand.

It's not a match gun and I am not a match shooter...
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Corbon can have some QC issues on occasion, they also run a bit hot.

Most .40 users (police departments) stick to 155/165's, or go old school with 180s.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

180's with 155's a close second. Also have both 23 and 27 loaded with either GDs or Win JHPs in 180.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Buffalo Bore makes a hot (not for Glocks) 180gr hollow point load that has some impressive stats. I put heavy springs in my Para 16-40 to run them and they're 100% for fuction so far and really seem to have some stank on 'em.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l ... tail&p=116

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

olyinaz wrote:Buffalo Bore makes a hot (not for Glocks) 180gr hollow point load that has some impressive stats. I put heavy springs in my Para 16-40 to run them and they're 100% for fuction so far and really seem to have some stank on 'em.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l ... tail&p=116

Oly
Buffalo Bore's warning is a bunch of bull. Every single pistol that uses JMB's basic design has some degree of lowered support at the feed ramp. Glock's pistols made in the last 5-6 years have tighter chambers than their earlier versions and so have more chamber support in this area but like every other brand, it's not 100%

Note in this comparison of different brands, that all have some degree of lowered support. Glock's 1998 barrel is clearly an early version and as such, the newer Glocks have the same support as most other brands and even more so than some.

Steve
W.E.G.
Levergunner

Post by W.E.G. »

When the caliber starts with a "4," I want a heavy bullet.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Steve, I would say "an abundance of caution" vs. "a bunch of bull", but in any case the folks at B.B. are the ones facing the liability so I think it's up to them to make that call. It's not an issue with my pistol (fired cases look great) so I use the stuff and like it.

Remington Golden Sabers work great in all of my .40s also. I don't think I've ever suffered a failure of any kind with an RGS in any .40 I've owned.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My S&W 99 likes the 180 grain bullets at ranges of 50 yards or less. I haven't tried it at anything more than that. I get a little better accuracy with 180 grain loads.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

For self-defence on humans, they're all good. For bear protection, 180 grain and above.
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

almost all I use in a .40S&W is Lee TL401-175SWC with Lyman #2 alloy.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

olyinaz wrote:Steve, I would say "an abundance of caution" vs. "a bunch of bull", but in any case the folks at B.B. are the ones facing the liability so I think it's up to them to make that call. It's not an issue with my pistol (fired cases look great) so I use the stuff and like it.

Remington Golden Sabers work great in all of my .40s also. I don't think I've ever suffered a failure of any kind with an RGS in any .40 I've owned.

Oly
I spent 41 years working with lawyers and the single most important thing to remember is that they live on 'Billable Hours'. What that means in real life is if they can take an insignificant issue and grow it into a concern; better yet into a huge problem, they are happy. Further, if they can grow an insignificant issue into a calamity, they are ecstatic. Their billable hours skyrocket in that event.

I don't how many dozens of times I had to tell our lawyers, "I've heard what you said, however, this business is in the business to do business and so we'll take you counsel under advisement but we'll do what is the right business thing to do." They are called counselors for a reason; they're job is to provide advice, not direction. They aren't responsible for keeping the business growing, for making a profit, or even for keeping the doors open.

They're opinions are based upon the position that they have to do everything possible, no matter how ridiculous, to limit or better yet, eliminate any liability. Any risk is unacceptable. If the world were run by lawyers, civilization would cease to exist; too much risk. Babies wouldn't ever be born; too much risk. No one would risk to do anything. No, if lawyers were in control this planet would be sterile in a generation.
Steve
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

In my G27 I settled on 180gr bullets of whatever loading because they were faster on followup shots.

It's the same reason I use 180s in my SP101 .357...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

the LE Agency that I serve is issed 180gr. Speer Gold Dots... :)
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I have a variety of 40 S&W ammo. My Firestar is loaded with some bulk Speer LE ammo with 165 Gold Dots. I think this is the "LE Lite" load. Recoil is comparatively light but the bullets expand very well from the short barrel, in dirt and paper anyway.

I think against human and canine foes, choices in bullet weight don't really matter. I would feel comfortable with about any hollow point in the forty.

Pick one that is reasonably accurate and shoots to POA.