Unusual (or not) handgun sights

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Unusual (or not) handgun sights

Post by AJMD429 »

On another thread I mentioned making a double-ring sight for a pistol I have, and of course after making it, I see one in a catalog of 'specialty' sights, and wonder why I didn't know they existed before. I could have saved some time, but would have spent more money, and not had the fun of making my own.

Anyway, it got me to thinking, once in awhile you see some really 'different' sights on handguns (or long guns), and thought I'd post what I wound up with, in case anyone wanted to experiment similarly.

I find these sights really helpful in that with good light, you just place your small target in the front aperture, line up, and it WILL be hit, provided the sight-in distance and your target's distance are appropriate. For faster shooting or in dim light, the front can be used as a regular 'post' sight would be.

I did this because buying the gun used with a 'claw' type scope mount on it, there was no rear sight, and I had a spare Williams WRGS I'd used on a Contender pistol and always liked.

The front blade needed to be taller, so instead of buying a new one, I just used a round file to 'concave' the top of the front one a bit, then sweated a hollow roll-pin onto the top of it.

Here's the Rear, the Front, and the Sight Picture:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Unusual (or not) handgun sights

Post by rodeo kid »

Well, it looks neat to me. I might try to insert a piece of fiber optic rod if the diameter worked out. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Some .22 match rifles are set up like that, because it's a known, fixed distance every single time. Target+sight=hit.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I once used a piece of 3/4" dia. tubing about 10" long mounted on my 1911. Tube sight. They've been around forever, probably older than scopes, (which were popular during the civil war). Worked really well and very quick. No worries about eye relief either.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Some folks really swear by these hexagonal sights: http://www.goshen-hexsite.com/index2.php

I'd certainly like to try 'em out but I've never seen one in the hand.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I also had an H&R that I lost the rear (open type) blade on, and decided to make it a 'peep' as well...

When I take 'newbies' to the range, I always take a peep-sighted .22 LR handgun - they do WAY better with that type sight than the traditional 'open' ones.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
deafrn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by deafrn »

MrMurphy wrote:Some .22 match rifles are set up like that, because it's a known, fixed distance every single time. Target+sight=hit.
Yep.

My college target riflery facility had essentially identical rigs for us to use, but one old cluck in particular seemed to be easier for me to make good scores with. The only thing I could find different from the rest of the lot was that the aperture was slightly different than the others, and it worked well with my eyes. (I had corrected vision even then, but it was still PDG back in those days.)

I've fooled with aperture rears on handguns, but aside from sampling a couple of rigs back in the day, I have not tried out aperture fronts on handguns.

OT OT: In the category of "unusual handgun sights," the Caracal S with the Quick Sight "ears" was brought to my attention on our last trip to the LGS. I was handed the unloaded pistol with the admonition to not look at the gun closely but just bring it up to the target on the wall like I normally would. I did not immediately know what was going on, but it sure did have a nice sight picture... and then I saw what was going on and was temporarily speechless. My wife - whose eyes are actually more problematic than mine, and include cross-dominance - took to the gun like a duck to water, and she liked the trigger and recoil behavior enough to want to rethink abandoning the autoloader for her personal handgun.
deafrn

"I wasn't ignoring you, I just couldn't hear you. Okay, NOW I'm ignoring you."
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Fla John
Levergunner

Post by Fla John »

I thought that bolt looked familiar. Some have said that this set-up is an unusual rig. After iv'e heated up all of the iron that i brought for the day--i'll save this for last. Usually put at least 100 through it--10 inside a quarter, every time.

John.

Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

These are not that unusual but enhanced my ability to hit accurately greatly the 1911s have .22 cal kits on them with the Marvel shooting as well as an S&W 41.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
Fla John
Levergunner

Post by Fla John »

Here's my next project. Ha

John