Vetran 1911 owners

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Vetran 1911 owners

Post by m.wun »

I have never been much of a pistol guy but lately I have swooning over 1911's.Im wandering with the tons
of companys making them if there are favorates and some of the differences between the brands.I handled a
Sig 1911 the other day.I want to check out the Ruger,Colts,Springfields,and Kimbers.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Vetran 1911 owners

Post by Blaine »

Yes. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you want a good solid basic piece check out Rock Island.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

m.wun wrote: I want to check out the Ruger,Colts,Springfields,and Kimbers.
Well...there you have it. Buy one of those and you'll be just fine.

And post pictures when you get it!!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Rusty wrote:If you want a good solid basic piece check out Rock Island.
+1
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

If I were starting out, buying my first 1911 type handgun...I'd find a good used Colt MkIV series 70 that hasn't been "messed with" by amateur so-called "gunsmiths".
Might as well start with the Standard against which all the others are compared.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Not sure what things are like on your side of the pond but here in Oz most of the "made in USA" 1911s are well over $1000.
I think Rock Island are about $800 - $900 and "Norks" are about $750. Occasionally something comes up on special such as Springfields for about $950.
I was really keen on having a 1911 and if I ever get a semi-auto it will be a 1911 but for the limited use I have for a handgun I think I will just stick with my Ruger Security Six, especially now that I have upgraded it with Wolffe springs to make everything a few pounds lighter.
Which 1911 you look at would probably depend to some degree on what you plan to use it for and on how much money you have to spend.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a Rock Island, and couldn't be more pleased. I am currently getting very tempted to buy a Caspian slide with the Novak sights installed on it since I am having a more difficult time using the little tiny GI type factory sights on mine. The price of the Caspian slide is better than having a gunsmiths dovetail and fit sights on the original.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

tman wrote:
+1
Sarge will tell you that is a good buy. I am a bit of a snob I suppose, I can only convince myself to spend money on Colts.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I have had problems with the newer Colts, but they do hold thier value. I have not had any problems with Kimber or taurus.But my favorite is my Remington-Rand.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Another "I own one" vote for the Rock Island GI version.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I am a fan of STI. Custom at production price and an employee owned company w outstanding customer support.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
dogngun
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dogngun »

I could not agree more.
I started shooting 1911's 40+ years ago. Rock Island's versions-made by ARMSCOR-are the best for the money and as good or better than many costing 3 times as much. They are GREAT shooters, very solid and long lasting, made of 4140 tool steel and available in a lot of configurations.

Check SARCO Inc, for the best prices on these fine pistols, and check http://forum.m1911.org/forums.php site for the ARMSCOR/Rock Island owners forum for real posts by real owners and you will be very positively impressed. I have had mine, bought used, for almost 10 years now. I'd buy it again in a second. It is the only 1911 I own.

They start at around $400.
mark
The GOP/teabag party - Anti American AND stupid.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I started out with a used colt. Have owned colt, RI, Springfield, Kimber, para ordnance, Remington and now I carry a nighthawk GRP. I started with 45 and I have returned to 45. Any of the major makers produce fine weapons. You have plenty of after market items that you can make it into what ever you wish. And there are plenty of custom makers out there that can do it for you. I would start wiith a GI model and go from there. You may never need to change anything on it.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I have no experience with the Rock Island 1911s but have heard that most of the owners really like them.

My experience has been with Colts, Kimbers and Springfield Armory models. My Kimber is an older "pre series II" gun that I bought new and have shot alot, no problems whatsoever. My son prefers the Springfield Armory guns and has a stainless LW Champion loaded model and a full size parkerized Mil-Spec. Both have been very reliable and accurate shooters.

My Kimber is the most accurate 1911 that I have ever owned. I've changed a few parts on it just because I wanted to, not because it needed it. My Colt Government Series 80 was always reliable but wasn't very accurate until I fitted an Ed Brown bushing to it, now I can't blame it on the gun when I shoot with friends.

My Colt Commander is a good shooter as well, it is a 1954 model so it has the small "GI" sized sights. Not a problem for me but many don't like them.

My SA GI is the least accurate of the four, but it is accurate enough that it is fun to shoot. Again, I have changed some parts but only to make it look more "authentic".

If possible shoot as many different guns that you can to see what you like. I have several revolvers, semi-autos and a few single shot handguns but the 1911 is my absolute favorite.

Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Hobie wrote:
tman wrote:
+1
Sarge will tell you that is a good buy. I am a bit of a snob I suppose, I can only convince myself to spend money on Colts.

LOL... Thanks for the props Hobie.

I have written quite a bit on the 1911 as it exists today. I've got about 35 years of building/rebuilding my own and keeping them running for other donut-munchers. I am not a custom gunsmith- just an armorer-level mechanic. Here's my opinion.

Rock Islands are good, solid 1911's and are about as close as you can get to the old war-surplus shooters we used to take for granted. They have overtaken Springfield as top-pick for an entry-level 1911 and that's simply because RIA pays more attention to building a quality product. If you pulled the barrels/extractors/slide stops from 10 examples of each and examined them, this would become crystal clear to you.

I agree with Hobie 100% on the Colts- if you're going to spend real money, get the real thing.

Beyond that- I thinks the Smiths & Dan Wessons are probably the best built 'other' 1911's in the full-price production class.

Feedback from people I trust is trickling in on a couple of other 1911's. STI's are good and I think Remington's R-1 is a decent pistol. Ruger's is hit or miss. I won't own or work on any 1911 that has the Swartz safety and that includes 95% of Kimbers and a lot of Smiths. Any light strike problem with those guns? Send 'em back to the company who unnecessarily complicated a beautifully simple--and reliable--design.

If I wanted a hard-fit match gun I would build it myself. If I was going to hand someone the price of a used pickup, to build me a 1911? Ed Brown would get my money.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I would think that there's a few things to think about, first, in order to drill down what works for YOU (Since you're the one paying the $$, and nobody else here is).

One - Do you want "Made in the U.S.A.", or don't care ? Many of the "bargain" models are from overseas, including some not so inexpensive, like Springfields. YMMV, here.

Two - Do you want a basic GI model (small/fixed sights, small safety, etc, etc, etc - possibly adding only the features YOU want later); or do you want an "enhanced" model, one where a manufacturer has already added many features into the gun (Extended safety, beavertail grip safety, adj trigger, 3-dot sights, etc, etc), some of which YOU may/may not want, but will be paying for anyway.

Some of this decision depends upon how handy you are at "smithing" your own gun, or having to pay a gunsmith for upgrades.

Three - What MATERIAL you YOU prefer (or detest) ? Some folks like only Stainless Steel guns, others only blue/black, and others yet like both.
Some makes (Like the Ruger) are only available in stainless, others in both blue/carbon, stainless, or a combination of both.

Fourth - What QUALITY do YOU want ? When each make, within your guidelines, is personally examined, some will be found to be well-made, tight-fitting & well-finished arms (which you will usually have to pay for), and others less so - some much less so.

Things like triggers, hammers, flat/arched mainspring housings, grip panels & sights are not particularly hard or expensive to change, so I don't let eyewash influence my decision about the core pistol.

FWIW, I've owned/shot about 12 different 1911's since the 1970's (Colts, S&W's, GI's Rock Island's, Thompson's , Springer's & more), but currently own/shoot a blued/standard Remington 1911R1, which I ordered (new) for $590 OTD through my friendly FFL.
The only 1911 that I'd rather have had (I couldn't find one) was a Colt .45 LWC (LightWeight Commander).

After a little shooting, I decided I preferred a Commander-type rowel hammer, so I bought one from Caspian Arms & installed it.

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I've owned a bunch of 'em, the best of course were the Colts suitably modified by Heinie, Wilson, Frank Pachmayer, or other top drawer smith such as Bud Price. Still have the Bud Price Custom Combat (it was stolen once and returned by Tulsa PD after about a year) and the commercial Colt by Pachmayer is wandering in the lost world of stolen guns. Maybe you could get lucky and buy it from someone.

For a truck and carry gun, I purchased a 4" barreled 1911 with the name Charles Daly on it. Made in the Phillipines and $400 with two magazines. Ambi-safety, Novak sights (obvious copies), lowered and dimpled port, skeletonized trigger and hammer, big grip safety with memory bump. Of course it wouldn't feed right but put an 18 lb. spring in and it hasn't stuttered since. I guess they thought if you're going to copy something then copy the right stuff. Even has checkered walnut grips with the diamonds left around the screws. I recommend it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
1historian
Levergunner

Post by 1historian »

My experience, years ago was with a Colt Combat Commander (steel frame), with a subdued nickel finsih (has some proprietary name I forget) This is back in the day where everyone shot ball..and the guns were reputed to be unreliable with anything but ball. 99% of what I shot were reloads...185 swc and 200swc mostly lead swaged or cast. As long as I paid attention to the overall length that bullet prefered the gun fed flawlessly and was CONSISTENLY accurate.By that I mean it wasn't a tact driver but would easily hit out to 50 yards on demand any target of reasonable size...this is back in the day where shotgunshells were the prefrred target at close range and empty paint cans at longer. Good trigger....

My Model 25 S&W was mechanically more accurate...but for whatever reason in practical shooting the colt was more of a sure thing.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Pete44ru wrote:

After a little shooting, I decided I preferred a Commander-type rowel hammer, so I bought one from Caspian Arms & installed it.

What grip safety is that? Is it from Caspian as well? I like that, as opposed to the full blown beavertail.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Colt :D

I've had several Springfields though, they all worked as they shold.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

My arms room back in the late 60s had 200+ Colt 1911s that I had to keep in shape (I did double duty as a tank commander and part time armorer). I'm very, very familiar what went right and what went wrong with them. Not a real fan of Colts now at the high prices they are going for. Never could get use to the 1911's thin grip back then as it seemed I could never get a solid grip on one so I never picked one up for my collection. Recently I found that, like the rest of me over the years, my hands are not as skinny as they were back then and I'm now much more comfortable

Anyway, in honor of the 1911's 100th anniversary, I finally decided to add one to my collection. I wasn't into the price of a Colt but wanted a forged frame and slide rather than a cast one. I also wanted a near twin to the one I carried in my tank, but with a bit better sights. For the money, I decided that Springfield's Mil-Spec model made sense and a new one was priced reasonably enough to get one. I picked up a parkerized 'NM' version and have been really happy with it. It eats anything, never has suffered a jam or FTF, and shoots very well. I did replace the mainspring housing and guts with an aftermarket version to both get rid of the lock and reduce the mainstring weight from their way too heavy 28lbs down to a reasonable 23lbs.

Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I kinda like my no frills Gov't model Springfield.

It ain't fancy but it shoots straight and is (to date) 100% reliable.

My Kimber is a bit more high-dollar and I've had to send it back for repair at least once (extraction problems), but since then it's a gem.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

The GI model is nice but the white dot sights on the Mil-Spec gave me at least a chance to see the sights whereas the GI's were so small I just couldn't see them.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Those MilSpecs are generally good guns and the package constitutes the classic 'minimalist' approach to the working 1911.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Sarge wrote:Those MilSpecs are generally good guns and the package constitutes the classic 'minimalist' approach to the working 1911.
Well, if it ain't broke...

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

FWiedner wrote:
Sarge wrote:Those MilSpecs are generally good guns and the package constitutes the classic 'minimalist' approach to the working 1911.
Well, if it ain't broke...

:lol:
I just couldn't see those little MilSpec sights :(
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

COSteve wrote:The GI model is nice but the white dot sights on the Mil-Spec gave me at least a chance to see the sights whereas the GI's were so small I just couldn't see them.
I agree with the Mil-Spec having larger sights. I wanted the GI model because I wanted one that was as close as I could get to what I was issued when I was an MP (without paying the price for a real USGI). For a first 1911, I would definitely recommend the Mi-Spec over the GI.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

damienph wrote:
Pete44ru wrote:

What grip safety is that? Is it from Caspian as well? I like that, as opposed to the full blown beavertail.

It's the issue Remington standard Gov't Model grip safety - I had to grind a little off the humped top, so the bottom of the hammer/rowel had enough room to drop down, so the tip of the hammer allows the slide to pass by over it's top during cycling.
A little cold blue made the alteration invisible.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm another fan of Colt. I have 3, a Combat Commander which has been run a LOT and hard, a Gold Cup that has seen some limited test firing and likewise a Gov't issue... they were replacements for two presentation models that were stolen.

But, if I were to buy another, whether for personal defense or competition in a production class, I'd be buying an STI (I just don't see myself competing in any other class).

Last year I won a Taylor's 1911, which I'm told is made in the Phillipines by ArmsCor, the same as Rock Island. I don't know that I would have bought one... but it's a fine gun. (I was leaning toward a Springfield); functions as one would expect, but I have yet to test it with the new McCormick magazines I bought for an upcoming match... I guess I really ought to test 'em beforehand, huh?

IMO, the key to a smooth running 1911 is two-fold; first and foremost, is your grip. You can't just hold the gun... you have to GRIP the gun for it to function as designed. You need to learn to separate your index finger from the rest of your hand. The wrist needs to be locked to allow recoil to work the action smartly, and to avoid the famous 1911 "bite". Your hand needs to be UNDER the grip safety extension, whether or not you have a beaver-tail style. If you have fleshy or meaty hands, you might need to lower your grip even more to avoid the "bite". Secondly is your magazine. Not all magazines are created equal. Magazines need to fit right, retain ammo yet release them at the right angle, engage the slide lock when empty and drop freely when released. Lips get bent, the follower gets bent and battered, and the spring can lose its tension... all of which will cause a magazine to malfunction, often getting overlooked as the cause when it happens when you least expect it to.

Most everyone I've observed with problems shooting a 1911 has not followed those two rules of the "road" so to speak. Especially accuracy complaints. And these folks also generally place the blame on the pistol.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Since they are unobtanium, Someday I'll build me another Stainless/Lightweight CCO... probably out of Caspian parts
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I really loved the commanders. none of the one's I shot would feed HP's. My RI is 100% reliable with ranger 230gr. hps. And that's all it needs to do :)
msmith1228
Levergunner 2.0

Post by msmith1228 »

I bought a Ruger today for the truck. I'll let you know how it shoots next week after I pick it up. Looked like a nice gun for the money.
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

Another vote for the Remington R1. Got one and could not be happier.
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

damienph wrote:
COSteve wrote:The GI model is nice but the white dot sights on the Mil-Spec gave me at least a chance to see the sights whereas the GI's were so small I just couldn't see them.
I agree with the Mil-Spec having larger sights. I wanted the GI model because I wanted one that was as close as I could get to what I was issued when I was an MP (without paying the price for a real USGI). For a first 1911, I would definitely recommend the Mi-Spec over the GI.
I get along with the USGI sights pretty good as long as they are blue/black and you've got some light. Try it with nickle USGI sights, in bright sunlight, for a real treat! You can fix that problem w/o a lot of trouble.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/staking ... ont-sight/
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I sure like my Ruger SR 1911. JUST SWEET !! :wink:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I sure like my Ruger SR 1911. JUST SWEET !! :wink:
If Ruger would bob the slide to 4.25", bob the frame to 6+1/7+1 and sell it at a sub $1000 price point, they would have a real winner... and make a mint.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

My son and my grandson both have Rock Island .45's and they will feed anything that will go in the magazine, 100% reliable. Grandson also has a Spingfield G.I. but prefers the RI.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Griff wrote:I'm another fan of Colt. I have 3, a Combat Commander which has been run a LOT and hard, a Gold Cup that has seen some limited test firing and likewise a Gov't issue... they were replacements for two presentation models that were stolen.

But, if I were to buy another, whether for personal defense or competition in a production class, I'd be buying an STI (I just don't see myself competing in any other class).

Last year I won a Taylor's 1911, which I'm told is made in the Phillipines by ArmsCor, the same as Rock Island. I don't know that I would have bought one... but it's a fine gun. (I was leaning toward a Springfield); functions as one would expect, but I have yet to test it with the new McCormick magazines I bought for an upcoming match... I guess I really ought to test 'em beforehand, huh?

IMO, the key to a smooth running 1911 is two-fold; first and foremost, is your grip. You can't just hold the gun... you have to GRIP the gun for it to function as designed. You need to learn to separate your index finger from the rest of your hand. The wrist needs to be locked to allow recoil to work the action smartly, and to avoid the famous 1911 "bite". Your hand needs to be UNDER the grip safety extension, whether or not you have a beaver-tail style. If you have fleshy or meaty hands, you might need to lower your grip even more to avoid the "bite". Secondly is your magazine. Not all magazines are created equal. Magazines need to fit right, retain ammo yet release them at the right angle, engage the slide lock when empty and drop freely when released. Lips get bent, the follower gets bent and battered, and the spring can lose its tension... all of which will cause a magazine to malfunction, often getting overlooked as the cause when it happens when you least expect it to.

Most everyone I've observed with problems shooting a 1911 has not followed those two rules of the "road" so to speak. Especially accuracy complaints. And these folks also generally place the blame on the pistol.
The RIAs shoot just fine with Chip McCormick's magazines. I have 2 for mine, and they feed anything in .45 ACP that I put in them, and the RIA fires it and spits out the empty shell each and every single time. The reliability is so boring, that I keep it beside my bed for my last resort gun. I trust it more than I trust any other gun I have.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have not been without a 1911 of some kind since about 1961 or so. The first pistol was a good condition WWII Remington-Rand 1911A1. It was 100% milspec and was my only centerfire handgun for a few years and I had to use it for everything. It did every job asked of it without balking.

Therefore my tastes run toward pretty basic handguns in this configuration. Today I have 3 of these gizmos. They are;

1. A 2005 Colt Goverment Model that I bought new for $650.00. It is a great gun. Recently I added a set of Nutmeg ivory grips, so that upped what I have in it.

2. Norinco 1911A1 that I bought in 2006 for $280.00. I changed out the sights for ones I can see, swapped out the Chinese springs for Wolf springs, added mesquite grips where were a gift and stuck in a Colt barrel which was just laying around the house from some long forgotton trade. I think that would bring to about $350 all the cash money I have into it.

Both of these handguns are tight, shoot to the sights and have decent trigger pulls. They are all I need. There must be money to be made in making and sellings 1911s, as everybody and their dog is in that game and some of the prices blow my mind.

It is your money so spend it in a way that will make you happy. I am very happy with the way I did these things, and hope your 1911 purchase works out for you as well.

Cheers..Charles

Oh yes...I do have another unmodified Norinco 1911A1 tucked away in the safe..just in case.

PS: Being a basic sort of fellow, I picked up a Springfield GI soon after they hit the market. I changed out the sights, but the darn thing shot very large groups. I swaped for the above mentioned Colt barrel and bushing and put the thing in the Springer. The groups shrank in half! So that told me the Springer 2 piece barrel was no good.

I swapped off the Springer for another Norinco and put the Colt barrel in my first Norinco. Norincos still go into Canada, but not here in the US since Bill Clinton got made at them for shipping a container full of AKs destined for LA street gangs. Go figure. Darn shame as they are great guns. I don't know what they run on the used market now, but they are worth buying if the price is decent.
Last edited by Charles on Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

piller wrote:
The RIAs shoot just fine with Chip McCormick's magazines. I have 2 for mine, and they feed anything in .45 ACP that I put in them, and the RIA fires it and spits out the empty shell each and every single time. The reliability is so boring, that I keep it beside my bed for my last resort gun. I trust it more than I trust any other gun I have.
I'll second this. I wouldn't use an 8 round 1911 mag until I was given a couple of CMC Powermags. Now I won't use anything else. Once the early bugs were worked out (short chamber) those CMC's have fed an easy 1500 rounds of assorted reloads and factory loads through my nickel Rock Island, with zero malfs.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Veteran 1911 owners

Post by new pig hunter »

When I went into the Navy in 1974 I bought a Colt Mk IV/Series 70. I've easily put over 10,000 rds through it since then. I was shooting it just yesteday, still works just fine.

I am a huge fan of the 1911-series because you can easily detail-strip it down to the smallest pin, without special tools. Thus you can clean absolutely everything to your heart's content. And you can "minor gunsmith" the trigger pull by smoothing all the sliding surfaces, making trigger action incredibly smooth.

Cheers,

Carl
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I added a series 70 steel frame with series 80 colt commander slide to the fold today. Shot it this evening aftr blanking on dove. Put a smile to my face as I remembered my very first colt.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have owned a lot of 1911's, most of them were pretty good guns, however some required a little bit of tweeking. One thing I am probably not going to do again is purchase anything That is not pretty much true series 70, sands any firing pin safety (Kimber, or even Colt series 80, anthough I could probably put up with the Colt series 80, but that is the first thing I look for when checking out a new pistol.

And the next thing I check out is how many MIN parts are in it, but those can be replaced if they break with forged parts, which is another reason I like to stay with a true 1911 platform that will used standard parts and not company specific parts. This is another reason I don't buy 1911's with external extractors, just one more thing that might work great or might not, but I know I can replace a standard extractor with a Wilson Bulletproof extractor or or another aftermarket version and tune it to my specs.

I do have a couple of guns that don't meet all of the rules above, but I will probably not buy anymore that violate those rules. The original platform is just eaiser to work on, etc. Parts are plentiful, and I don't have to rely on the original manufacture for replacement parts or service.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Sarge wrote:
piller wrote:
I'll second this. I wouldn't use an 8 round 1911 mag until I was given a couple of CMC Powermags. Now I won't use anything else. Once the early bugs were worked out (short chamber) those CMC's have fed an easy 1500 rounds of assorted reloads and factory loads through my nickel Rock Island, with zero malfs.
I'll 3rd CMCs. Best mags for the money.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've carried a 1911 for serious self-defense (working nights in 24-hour pharmacies in ghetto neighborhoods) since the 1970's, and my fingers are long enough I felt holding the 'normal' 1911 was like trying to get a good grip on a deck of cards (too thin for the front-back dimension). The first time I held a 'double-stack' it was a ParaOrdnance, and I just KNEW I had to have one. I didn't even know it held more than the usual seven rounds - I just knew it was the first 1911 I picked up that pointed and felt natural in my hands.

I bought a P-14 (double the capacity, same 1911 reliability), then later a more compact 'officer model' clone, the P-12. More recently, I stumbled across a used Rock Island clone of the P-14, and got it as well. ALL have functioned flawlessly.

My other "1911" is an AMT from the 1970's - inexpensive, built tough (stainless), and HITS the 8" gong reliably at 100 yards if we actually do our part, time after time after time. Dropped on concrete floors, in driveway gravel, mud, etc., and still keeps ticking.

SO..... my point is, I am not one to say you have to get a "premium" brand for FUNCTION. If you want cool looks and a brand name to flaunt, or high resale-value, get a fancy-schmancy one of your choice.

Otherwise, get an all-steel basic 1911 of some sort (I do still prefer the double-stack ones due to grip fit for me, and don't exactly mind a 14-shot capacity of .45 ACP, either), and it will work.

Given the choice of a $1,000 'premium' brand vs. a $500 'discount' brand - here's my philosophy - get the $500 one, PLUS $500 worth of ammo - probably at least 1,000 rounds. SHOOT all that ammo, and you will have a well-smoothed, reliable gun (and one you for-sure know is reliable, vs. just reading that some gun-magazine 'reviewer' says so) by then, plus you will be an even better shot with it. If some bad-guy dude with a pretty-gun challenges you to a shootout on the streets of Dodge, people might point and laugh at your low-status gun, but it will be while you're all attending the bad-guy's funeral.

When I want a gun that reliably goes bang and hits what it's pointed at, it will either be a revolver, or one of my 'generic' 1911's...
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

More info than I expected, Thanks folks!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I'm with you Doc in that the P-14s feel better in my hands as well. I've got one and love it (it's actually a P16-40), but the other thing a guy can do is have their 1911 fit with some wider than standard grips or even some "target" style grips. The new Colt Wiley Clapp models are fit with a new "tactical oval" shape grip that I like quite a lot as well. The idea is that the high point of the grip is moved back towards the rear of the grip when viewed as a cross section. It sounds odd, but some (like me) think that it feels much better than the common symmetrical profile 1911 grip.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Great thread!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Veteran 1911 owners

Post by AJMD429 »

new pig hunter wrote:I am a huge fan of the 1911-series because you can easily detail-strip it down to the smallest pin, without special tools.
:? . . . don't tell anybody . . . :? . . . but they're actually made out of tractor parts :o , just like Uzi's, and Mausers, and Marlin rifles. That's why all of those guns work so well...! :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "