My new black powder rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

My new black powder rifle

Post by t.r. »

I bought this Thompson Center flintlock yesterday from a fellow who never shot it; been sitting in a closet for 30 years. Caliber is 45 which should do the job on late season whitetails here in Pennsylvania.

This is my first flintlock. I'm hoping to have fun figuring out right combination of bullet and powder to shoot accurately at 75 yards. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TR

Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Re: My new black powder rifle

Post by Gobblerforge »

My suggestion is #4F in the pan up to, but not covering the flash hole. 50 to 70 grains of #3F powder in the barrel for shooting. That's a nice looking gun.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
zzr7ky
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zzr7ky »

Hi - I like to make sure the flash hole is .062 to .067" in diameter. If not drill it. Ignition should be fast, like a percussion gun. If npot the lock should be tuned. Enjoy!!

Mike
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I agree that ignition should be fast. Too many shooters thing that long delay between the flint spark and the barrel powder ignition is normal. If everything is set up correctly, it's pretty darn quick.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

If I remember correctly the twist for all Thompsons was 1 in 48". About right for a round ball in a 45. The 50s and 54s had the same twist which is too fast for a round ball and too slow for a bullet. Yeah, my 50 would shoot a round ball pretty accurately with 40 grains of ffg but I wanted more velocity for deer. Even very short bullets wouldn't stabilize so I put a Green Mountain bullet barrel on one and it's the ML I still shoot. Lots of whitetails have fallen to it and the 200 grain XTP bullet in a sabot.
The powder charges Gobbler suggested sound about right and try those round balls, they may just be ticket for your gun. If you are not an old BP shooter, remember to clean it with HOT WATER every time you shoot it. Then lube with Ballistol. I've seen several ruined bores ruined from folks cleaning with some "black powder solvent". If you have compressed air, use it to blow the barrel dry.
I've got lots of advice don't I. Mostly just have fun with it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I successfully use FFFg for both prime & main charges in my rocklocks, w/o issue AND for simplicity's sake.

The powder charge will depend upon which model/barrel your T/C has - the 15/16" (across-the-flats) Hawken bbl, or the 13/16" Seneca bbl. (the lighter bbl should not be loaded as heavily as the heavier bbl)

While most Hawken or Seneca rifles were so marked on the bbls, early ones were not, and bbl size/weight is the only way to tell them apart, since the patch box, ets, are the same. (I have an unmarked Seneca .45)

Last edited by Pete44ru on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I phoned TC Customer Service. They advised me to use FF for load and FFFF for pan primer. They said that FFF is for 44 caliber and smaller. FF is for 45 caliber and larger. I'm following their advise for safety.

TR
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That is a beautiful rifle :mrgreen:
(get a composite ramrod for shooting....you will not regret this...put the pretty one back in for showing off)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Try it BEFORE you change it...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Very nice!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

A good tight patch and ball combo will go further than than anything else. For best results cut your patch material in long strips and learn to cut your patch at the muzzle for a patched RB. There's no safety factor in 3F vs 2F for shooting, the 3F will burn cleaner, with less fouling.
Start at 45 grains and go up on your powder charge to find your best load. I doubt anything over 65 gr will help. I used to shoot 60 gr in my .45.
Get a good stainless steel range rod for all your practice and even the first round in the morning, use a muzzle protector with it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I was invited on a flintlock-only deer hunt for the late season with a gang of Christian guys. These men hunt in Mifflin County and tell me the shots rarely exceed 50 yards. 75 yards yards is a very long shot. With open sights, I doubt that I'll be accurate beyond 75 yards anyways. They post the shooters along ridges overlooking brushy hollows and open areas where the deer typically escape the drivers. This gang has been driving the same areas for many decades.

A friend at the gun club agreed to mentor me with the flintlock. He shoots a "period correct" Lancaster flintlock in 40 caliber and has taken many deer with it. Neck shots at 40 - 50 yards shooting patched round balls. He hunts from a modern climbing treestand. Truthfully, 40 caliber is not legal within the Commonwealth but he doesn't seem to care about that.

Twist is 1-48 for this TC rifle. I read that thickness of patch and diameter of the round ball are critical to accurasy. Get it right and 2 - 3 inch groups at 50 yards are attainable. Planning to try both 777 and real black powder FFg. as propellents. FFFFg for pan primer. Most of the local shops sell real gunpowder here in Pennsylvania.

I'm planning to master this flintlock. That is, clustered groups at 50 yards. But if I fail, I'll just sell it and call it a fun experience.

TR
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

t.r. wrote:I was invited on a flintlock-only deer hunt for the late season with a gang of Christian guys. These men hunt in Mifflin County and tell me the shots rarely exceed 50 yards. 75 yards yards is a very long shot. With open sights, I doubt that I'll be accurate beyond 75 yards anyways. They post the shooters along ridges overlooking brushy hollows and open areas where the deer typically escape the drivers. This gang has been driving the same areas for many decades.

A friend at the gun club agreed to mentor me with the flintlock. He shoots a "period correct" Lancaster flintlock in 40 caliber and has taken many deer with it. Neck shots at 40 - 50 yards shooting patched round balls. He hunts from a modern climbing treestand. Truthfully, 40 caliber is not legal within the Commonwealth but he doesn't seem to care about that.

Twist is 1-48 for this TC rifle. I read that thickness of patch and diameter of the round ball are critical to accurasy. Get it right and 2 - 3 inch groups at 50 yards are attainable. Planning to try both 777 and real black powder FFg. as propellents. FFFFg for pan primer. Most of the local shops sell real gunpowder here in Pennsylvania.

I'm planning to master this flintlock. That is, clustered groups at 50 yards. But if I fail, I'll just sell it and call it a fun experience.

TR
TR, is there a 777-type powder that can be used in the pan?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BlaineG wrote: is there a 777-type powder that can be used in the pan?
Not that I've ever heard of !

Also seems to me whether it is granulated 777 in 2F or 3F they say it will not combust with the flash from a flintlock . Or atleast they didn't recommend shooting it .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

6pt-sika wrote:

Also seems to me whether it is granulated 777 in 2F or 3F they say it will not combust with the flash from a flintlock . Or atleast they didn't recommend shooting it .
Thirty years ago, they warned me about Pyrodex P.....it worked perfectly in my .54 Renegade. I was just wondering as I hear the 777 is really the cats to clean up.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BlaineG wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:

Thirty years ago, they warned me about Pyrodex P.....it worked perfectly in my .54 Renegade. I was just wondering as I hear the 777 is really the cats to clean up.
I use Triple 7 3Fg in my two Knight Disc Rifles with very good results .

I used Pyrodex in a Ruger Old Army revolver I had as well as my first hunting muzzle loader a TC White Mountain Carbine . In the revolver I didn't like it as it seemed to get into everything . But with the TC it seemed to be a good bit easier to get clean to suit me .

Now I use Triple 7 3Fg in the 45 and 50 Disc Rifles .

VV N-110 in my Savage 10ML-II 50 cal .

And Goex 3Fg in my period 36 cal halfstock PA rifle .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I had one just like it and it was a very accurate rifle.
I shot the TC Maxi Ball in mine. The rifling twist rate is a compromise between round ball and conical. 1 in 48 IIRC.
Goex 3F... and 4F in the pan.
Keep the flash hole clear, don`t fill the flash hole with powder to try to act as a fuze. the fire will flash through and set her off. Done properly flinters will be almost as fast as a caplock.
Not that klack-ka-boom you see on the movies.
Load her up heavy for hunting. That is a very strong rifle. You wont blow it up with any reasonable charge, no way. just make sure the bullet is firmly seated on the powder charge.
Have fun!! :D
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

It would be worth your while to take a ride to Kempton to see Chuck and Greg Dixon. They'll fix you up with a ball mold and anything else you might need.