Anyone Have A Sig 250?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Anyone Have A Sig 250?

Post by Blaine »

I saw one in 45acp yesterday at a decent price $404......WAY cheaper than a G36. Are they any good? This would fill the bill for me a little cheaper than the Glock I wanted. I thought the DAO trigger pull was smooth and reasonable light, but are they quality for that low of a price?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anyone Have A Sig 250?

Post by olyinaz »

If it's a Sig, it's quality.

(Or perhaps not. Scroll down...)

Oly
Last edited by olyinaz on Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Go with a glock. I have one in the 21c model. My buddy has a sig in a 9mm. He has had trouble with stovepiping. No problems with my glock so far. Just to be fair, now. The glocks must use fmj ammo because of billiard rifling. If you use lead only bullets, they will foul the riffling in a very short time. Just my two cents.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

rossim92 wrote:Go with a glock. I have one in the 21c model. My buddy has a sig in a 9mm. He has had trouble with stovepiping. No problems with my glock so far. Just to be fair, now. The glocks must use fmj ammo because of billiard rifling. If you use lead only bullets, they will foul the riffling in a very short time. Just my two cents.

First to Blaine, if it's a SIG, you can relax. They don't make junk, and if your's does have a stove piping problem, a call to SIG will solve it. Though I'd suspect that the 9mm having problems is a rare bird.

Now on to one of my favorite myth busting topics. Yes, Glock does tell you not to use lead bullets. But they also tell you not to use reloaded ammunition. Both are liability driven. The vast majority of the ammo I shoot in my 30 is reloaded cast. Never had a leading problem. There are two reasons for that.

First, I use a very hard cast bullet. Hard cast at the velocities the .45acp travels generally don't have any leading issues unless the bore is in very bad shape.
Second, I clean it. If, and I haven't had any issues yet, I noticed leading (and it would take on heck of a lot of cast to develop enough lead to cause problems) I would simple clean it properly.

The issue folks have with lead bullets and Glocks are most likely the results of ignorance and laziness.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I work with a guy that shoots a G21 at the local IDPA matches. All he shoots is cast lead bullets and has no problems.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The SIG 250 is an excellent pistol. That is a good price. The 250 is the piece with the receiver being that skeleton (for want of a better term what SIG calls the modular frame and fire control assembly) around which the pistol is built. The idea, particularly attractive to Europeans with limits and the numbers of pistols they can buy, is that you can get different slides, grip "frames", barrels, etc. and build a pistol in a configuration that suits or have set ups for different configurations that suit. DAO is ok and I think a better option than the Glock type striker fired guns where you MUST work the slide to get a second wack at the primer.

Glock says all JACKETED bullets, not FMJ. IOW you can use HPs and so forth according to Glock. I will NOT dispute the comments on cast bullet use, just saying what GLOCK says. FMJ is NOT a requirement. Let's use the correct terms, please.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I bought one of the German Police trade in Sig P6 pistols a few years back.. same as the 225, a single stack 9mm.. never quits.. never misses (well, almost never).. it is my constant carry companion.. light and dependable, stoked with Hornady Critical Defense ammo.. prints the same as Federal FMJ... you surely won't go wrong with a Sig. Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I wasn't going to comment because I have never fired one of the Sig 250 models but since others have; I also have one of the Sig P6 West German Polizei trade-ins, it is one of my favorite semi-auto handguns. My son has three; P226 in 9mm, P229 in .357 Sig, and a Mosquito in .22LR. Nice quality and good shooters.
I think the Sigs are a good alternative to the Glock. I also have a gen 2 G22 and an XD40 Service model, so I don't think that I am biased towards Sigs.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

rossim92 wrote:Go with a glock. I have one in the 21c model. My buddy has a sig in a 9mm. He has had trouble with stovepiping. No problems with my glock so far. Just to be fair, now. The glocks must use fmj ammo because of billiard rifling. If you use lead only bullets, they will foul the riffling in a very short time. Just my two cents.
billiard? Huh? What?
BTW Glock barrels are polygonal. Not Ballard.
As are some CZs and H&Ks along with some others.

I've run thousands of HPs through my G19 and G26. Only jam I've had was with an aluminum case CCI, FMJ!

Have Glocks and Sigs. Both are excellent pistols.

Blaine,
Don't have a Sig 250 but picked up a G21 3rd Gen new for under $500 as the 4th gen are on the way.
Can't go wrong either way.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Another former Sig 225 owner here. It was my off duty carry for almost a decade. As the others have said, quality. I fired many rounds through it over the years and never had any sort of stoppage, nothing, ever. That is the one and only auto pistol that I ever owned or carried that I can say that about. Accuracy was very good. I sold it to finance a 624. I recently saw that it was up for sale from the guy I sold it to. Unfortunately, no funds. That stinks.
I would snatch up that 250.

Kevin
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

http://www.p250sig.com/forum/

I'm not familiar with that exact model, but when i googled it , a dedicated forum came up for them -- so somebody must like them.

Not a lot of familiarity with SIG across the board, but carried a 226 for about 6 months overseas 20 - odd years ago. NEver a problem and i put enough rounds through it to trust it ---
my current ccw gun is a little SIG 238 (their modern interpretation of a Colt Mustang) -- since it is a carry gun, i shoot a few magazines through it anytime i am at the range --- not a single stoppage yet, but when it was new occasionally it wouldn't lock the slide back on an empty mag

HAve lately been eyeballing a SIGPro in .357 , mainly because i am fascinated with the 357 sig cartridge and want a platform to shoot it without spending huge bucks (SigPro's are in the $400 price range too) -- and have several LEO buddies who love their 229's so much you could never get them away from them

This was a long, rambling response about my experience with every Sig but a 250 :lol: :lol: -- bottom line is my opinion of them is they are GTG (good to go)
----- Doug
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Just because "Sig" is written on, doesn't guarantee quality. The cheaper models Sig now building can't really be compared to the much higher dollar models they produce. Some Sig lovers even feel today's higher dollar models don't have the quality of the older German guns. There were a lot of reported initial problems when the 250 first hit the market, but they seem to have things running better now.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

There's SIG, and there's SigUSA.

About eight, nine years ago Sig USA's quality took a dive like a sumo wrestler off a 30 foot board into a cow pasture.

Friend of mine, trained Sig armorer, carried one overseas, carried one as a civilian, owned 12+ Sig's.

He now owns two, both German made guns.

The P250 is a good idea executed badly. They've had some issues with frame cracking and small parts needing replacement on effectively new guns (under 1k rounds).

Guy in question calls the 250 the Lorcin of current Sig production, and he's not a Sig hater. He just won't depend on a US made model. Same reason they had to come out with the P226 "German"....... because some very, very long time Sig users refuse to buy US built ones.

All this began happening around when Sig decided to have 75 finishes for their guns, and not build them correctly. Sort of like what happened to Kimber.

They can definitely build good pieces (the SEALs use them) but I guarantee a Mk 25 going to the Teams is inspected a lot more than a civilian P229 or P250.

Go ahead and buy a 250 if you like it, but be very cautious.

I don't hate plastic guns, I've been carrying a Glock 30 for 12 years, but companies change.....not always for the better. I personally think the S&W M&P is now a superior product to the Glock because of Glock Austria's refusal to accept any advice from Glock USA (the current 4th gen Glocks would have been out five or six years previously if they had) for example.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

MrMurphy wrote:There's SIG, and there's SigUSA.

About eight, nine years ago Sig USA's quality took a dive like a sumo wrestler off a 30 foot board into a cow pasture.

Friend of mine, trained Sig armorer, carried one overseas, carried one as a civilian, owned 12+ Sig's.

He now owns two, both German made guns.

The P250 is a good idea executed badly. They've had some issues with frame cracking and small parts needing replacement on effectively new guns (under 1k rounds).

Guy in question calls the 250 the Lorcin of current Sig production, and he's not a Sig hater. He just won't depend on a US made model. Same reason they had to come out with the P226 "German"....... because some very, very long time Sig users refuse to buy US built ones.

All this began happening around when Sig decided to have 75 finishes for their guns, and not build them correctly. Sort of like what happened to Kimber.

They can definitely build good pieces (the SEALs use them) but I guarantee a Mk 25 going to the Teams is inspected a lot more than a civilian P229 or P250.

Go ahead and buy a 250 if you like it, but be very cautious.

I don't hate plastic guns, I've been carrying a Glock 30 for 12 years, but companies change.....not always for the better. I personally think the S&W M&P is now a superior product to the Glock because of Glock Austria's refusal to accept any advice from Glock USA (the current 4th gen Glocks would have been out five or six years previously if they had) for example.
Thank you for that interesting info.

The Smith M&Ps are very nice indeed. I've got one with only a few hundred rounds through it, but it's been flawless and it seems well made.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Good info Mr. Murph....Thanks