Primer Prices

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Primer Prices

Post by RustyJr »

What are ya'll paying for primers in your area? I see them on Midway for $30 per 1000 for Large Rifle Primers but this is before shipping and handling and Hazmat fee. They have them at our local Hardware store for $38.99 per 1000 for Large Rifle and Large Pistol primers. This seems like a fair price. What say you?

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Primer Prices

Post by shooter »

Last time I checked here in the Dallas area they were running anywhere from $30-$40 depending on brand and type. The Winchesters and Federals, which I use the most of, were $32-$35. I think CCI's were in the same range. If you can find them anywhere in that range it just doesn't pay to order off of the net, unless you are making a huge bulk order.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That is about average, now. I'm betting primer prices will rise.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Most brands all run around $36 per M in this area and CCI`s have been hard to find. I like the way they seat better than Winchester. Federals are impossible to get here without making an order from one of the big mail order suppliers.
That said, the last ones I have bought and used in both pistol sizes have been Remington`s 1 1/2 and 2 1/2.
They seem to be just fine in my guns. :wink:
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Was just in Sportsmans Warehouse this afternoon, highest was 35, lowest 28.
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

At gun show this weekend near Cincinnati I paid $30/k for Win.LP. There is a gun shop not far from here that wants near $40 for same thing.
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
MZ5
Levergunner

Post by MZ5 »

Last time I bought some, a little earlier this year, I paid $15.50/thousand. Had to add haz-mat, but I also bought some powder so even with that fee the net cost to have them on my bench was ~$17/thousand.
jshinal
Levergunner

Post by jshinal »

$35 in a shop for Federal small pistol, but at the recent show I got Federal Large Rifle and Large Pistol for $30. Most powders were $25-ish at the show. This is in central NC.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

We have very few choices locally (50miles) but I feel fortunate to be able to buy any brand/type for under $35/1000.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

I picked up a brick of 1000 Wolf primers at our range shop for about $22. Remington and Winchester bricks are running around $26. Not too bad. CCI #34's seem scarce at the moment.

I have an issue paying the hazmat fees so I stock up from Cabela's or Scheels when I pass through Reno.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

If you can go in with somebody and off set the haz-mat fee, then http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/ has some ok prices, http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=278|284|737 had a special not that long ago on Wolf.

I bought a bunch of Wolf primers a couple of years ago and haven't had any problems with them.

Steve
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

stew71 wrote:I picked up a brick of 1000 Wolf primers at our range shop for about $22. Remington and Winchester bricks are running around $26. Not too bad. CCI #34's seem scarce at the moment.

I have an issue paying the hazmat fees so I stock up from Cabela's or Scheels when I pass through Reno.

IMO, those are pretty good prices; the last primers that I bought (Feb) were Remington BR Small Rifle and I paid $32/1000 and was happy with that. I've never seen any of the Wolf (or any other foreign) brand primers "locally". The most common that I find (and use) are CCI and Winchester, followed by Remington and very rarely Federal. I used to buy most of my reloading supplies from Sportsman's Whse in Wichita, KS (annual 3 day mtg there in Sep) before it closed. It was a good store with very reasonable prices, I hated to see it close.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Senators Schumer and Feinstein would be disappointed in the number of primers in my possession. Maybe my grandchildren will need to buy primers once they're born and grow into shooters. Maybe they'll let me know what they cost. :shock:
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

dunno I just had a guy give me 5000 federal large pistol so I'l be good for those for a while...now large rifle down to 2500 and gettin the heebie jeebies.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I got 5,000 CCI200's a couple months ago when we made a big order and I think at dealer cost they stuck me about $120 or $24 a thousand .

I still have all them and about another 1,000 so I'm good for large rifle .

Have maybe 4,000 small rifle and probably 3,000 Federal 215 large rifle magnum primers .

Think I have 1,500 Large Pistol primers for my 44 MAG rifle .

I don't load for pistols anylonger so I'm pretty well set other then shotgun primers . May need to get some more 209's !
Think I have a thousand WIN209's , maybe 800 CCI209's and a couple CCI209M's for my ML .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I wanted to get 2,000 of the Remington 7 1/2 small rifle bench rest primers but none of our distributers seem to have any .

Next alternative would be the Federal Gold Medal Match . But I suppose I'll keep using the CCI small rifle primers in the 204 , 222 and 223 for awhile !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !