Winchester 1892 in 45lc, what do you think?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hungarian
Levergunner 1.0

Winchester 1892 in 45lc, what do you think?

Post by Hungarian »

The local gunshop down the road has a new winchester 1892 in 45lc with color cased receiver and 24 inch barrel. This is a thing of beauty and shoulders good. Downside is the price tag on it is $1170 (the lowest they would sell it for). Looking around the internet I cannot find another one for sale, this seems to be the last of them. I really want this rifle but would have to sell my dan wesson 1911 to help afford it. The only other handgun I own is a colt saa in 45 and I will never part with that one till I'm dead. Do you guys think that winchester may make another run of these or should I grab it since they may never make this one again? Does anyone here own one and recommend it as a good buy? Thanks in advance.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Re: Winchester 1892 in 45lc, what do you think?

Post by Canuck Bob »

The rifle is made by Miroku in Japan for Winchester. I have a 32-20 take down and love it. Many traditionally minded users do not like the rebounding hammer and tang safety. The fit and finish is excellent on my rifle. I do not like the hammer but have no issue with the safety personally. You might find a limited group of buyers due to these issues when you might sell.

If you are patient used Brownings also made by Miroku do materialize from time to time. They are the same high quality but pre-date the hammer and safety mod. Also Rossi makes a decent 92 clone in that caliber for a lot less money. Also many on this site can help you to mod a Rossi to taste. A good used Marlin 94 is also an excellent option and scopes easily.

I don't know you well enough to advise you on what you should do. I have no intention of getting rid of mine and the 32-20 is the .314 Hornet of centerfires. A ton of fun without a lot of noise and fuss. However, in hindsight I would have waited for a good used rifle from Marlin, Browning or the original Winchester 92 for the money I spent. An original would be expensive but affordable and be the best long term value if you kept the rifle for many years.

Edit: If you restrict your ammo to your handgun pressures there are some outstanding 1873 clones. We can't carry handguns here, but I wonder if guys who carry matching caliber rifles worry about swapping high pressure ammo into a SSA?
Last edited by Canuck Bob on Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have a Rossi 92 carbine in .45Colt and it was a whole lot less money and shoots just fine. It is nice to carry with my old Colt SAA in .45Colt.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

I have the case colored oct. barrel model 94 in 45 colt and have always been interested in a 24" barreled model 92. I do not recall a case colored version of the last 92s from around '05 or '06, only the standard and high grade 24" come to mind.

Winchester has a model 92 sporter with 24" barrel and case colors on their website. Nice looking, but in 357 mag.
http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/ ... mid=534184
Model-92-Case-Hardened-Sporter-MID-534184-l.jpg
If I see this in 45 colt when the economy inproves it just might find its way home with me. :D

Dave B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

A versatile and historic gun in a versatile and historic cartridge. 8)

Three or four times the cost of a modern-era reproduction (Rossi). :|

Get whichever you can afford; for me it was the Rossi, plus reloading dies, a case of ammo, and really good sights... :wink:

The Rossi octagonals can be really nice looking, and I paid less for all three of these than the price on that one Winchester...

(click picture to enlarge)...
Octagonals are nice - smaller.jpg
(Marlin 1895 Cowboy, Rossi Brass .45 Colt, Rossi Matte Stainless .44 Mag, Rossi Matte Stainless .357 Mag, Marlin 1889 .32-20.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hungarian
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hungarian »

Thanks for the info guys. I went ahead and put it on layaway today. I have 45 days to come up with the rest of the money. You may see some stuff for sale in the classified forum...lol.