Interesting Win 1894

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Interesting Win 1894

Post by jdad »

I need to part with this one shortly, to add to my son's college tuition fund. It's a pretty interesting rifle when you delve into the details.

If you go by Madis and his serial number dating it shows that this should be a 1904 production rifle, but.....

The Cody letter has the serial number being applied 1/27/06. Received in the warehouse 2/26/06 and shipped 5/8/06.

Bert Hartman went through all the polishing room records and compiled production ratios, for the first 353,999 Model 1894's.

This is a standard 1894, 32WS, and a takedown.

There were 31,050 chambered in 32WS. Only 8.77% of the first 353,999 were chambered as such.

There were 26,934 takedown rifles. Only 7.60% of the first 353,999 were takedowns.

Here's the link to all the data. http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=245213

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Interesting Win 1894

Post by pokey »

so how much tuition were you hoping to cover with this? :o 8)
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

pokey wrote:so how much tuition were you hoping to cover with this? :o 8)
Books.....for one or two semesters. :shock:
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

and [ don't torture/tease us ] about how much is that [ was a long, long time ago when i was in college! ]
cable
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks for the info. :D

I got the twin to your '94.------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

First of all, neat rifle… worthy of any collection.

On a different subject, let’s give credit where credit is due. Bert Hartman did not compile the data that he puts out there. That data was published in the ARMAX, the Journal of Cody Firearms Museum, back in 1995.
It was the hard work and dedication of Mr. G Oswalt and Mr. J Hawk. Bert had nothing to do with it, I wish he would clearly articulate that fact, or at least give some passing credit to the folks that actually did the work.

The Polishing Room records; which some are housed at Cody, I personally think the PR Records are bing over hyped, The PR Records only list the date in which the serial number was applied, it does not list the caliber, configuration or any special features…Only xxx Serial Number was applied on XXX Day…Period.

V/R

Mike
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Mike,
I'll be the last guy to defend Bert, but if this is so well known why has no-one including Cody, WACA, Oswalt, Hawk, etc. called him on it? He's taken credit, to the research and posted his claim to it on the GB forum, for the last 5 years.

Just curious.

David
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

I don't know why he has not been challenged, possibly because not a whole lot of folks know about the ARMAX study, an obscure publication done 17 years ago.

I'm not sure if Mr. Oswalt is still alive, he was the curator of the museum at the time. John Hawk is still kicking, not sure he visits the Gunbroker forum. Heck I didnt know about it until you posted a link.

The study done by the above gentlemen, very comprehensive, lots more detail than Bert lets out.

Now that you know the truth, you could always challenge him....Hey Bert, where did you get all that 94 data from? Did you do all that research yourself? See what he says.

Hopefully he won't really claim it's all his work,

V/R

Mike
irl104
Levergunner

Post by irl104 »

Very well put Mike.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Mike,
You're a whole lot more knowledgeable about this than I. If you noticed Bert did post his email address. :wink: Win1885@msn.com

Just an fyi,

David
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

Trust me, Bert knows that I know where he got the info from, so, me sending him an e-mail would be pretty irrelevant.

I also see that his signature block would tend to make one believe that he works with/in the Cody Museum, a perception which I 'm sure he enjoys. Call the museum, ask to talk with Bert, see what kind of reaction you get, he's ticked more than a few folks off.

Mike
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bert for years has indicated he had some "special" connection to the Cody Museum, without saying what exactly that connection was. He's spoken freely about having "run of the place" access to data that "others can't access". I would guess it's nothing more than a Pahaska or Buffalo Bill Society membership. I would also guess that with numerous trips to Cody the folks there indeed know Bert well, but he's certainly not an employee.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

No he’s not an employee. Bert’s connection to the museum WAS that of an unpaid volunteer.

The firearms Division of the BBHS is understaffed and they have literally tons of stuff donated to the museum that needs to be filed, sorted, copied etc. Oftentimes folks will donate their time to the museum, just like some folks donate their time to the local shelters, Salvation Army, libraries etc.

There are many folks that donate their time to the BBHS, most do it out of the goodness of their heart, knowing that they are supporting a good cause and ask for nothing other than a “thank you” at the end of the day.

I've been tolk that the BBHS is strongly considering revising their "Volunteer" policy.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

hfcable wrote:and [ don't torture/tease us ] about how much is that [ was a long, long time ago when i was in college! ]
a lot :cry: My daughter just finished four years of community college to get her bacholer's of science. She paid for books and I paid for the first two years tuition, and scholarship paid for the last two years tuition. You will be amazed what books cost for college and they give you back very little when you trade them in for the next semesters round of books. Then they turn right around and sell the used ones for quite a markup. (like guns are on gunbroker :roll: ) Sometimes the professors wait till the last minute and change their minds on what books they say you need for their class after you get the list of what you need for each course. As with any good paying job, you will have a hardtime getting one without some kind of certification or degree, whether from college or a trade school. Just my two cents worth. GOOD LUCK.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot