What to do with a Rem 141 Rifle with a ringed barrel?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

What to do with a Rem 141 Rifle with a ringed barrel?

Post by Noah Zark »

Turn it into a Remington 141 Carbine!

I picked up this Remington 141 in 35 Remington for a $300 song due to a ring in the barrel about 3/4" back from the muzzle. Unfortunate, because the rifling was SHARP and still showed tooling marks from the rifling cutting tool. I did try shooting it as-is, but it would group two with three flyers, or group three with two flyers.

So $75 later, my gunsmith cut the barrel to a nominal 18", crowned it, removed the front sight from the cut section and silver soldered it back on the barrel.

I moved the rear sight up two steps on the elevator since that's where the calculations said the rear notch needed to be, and using Remington factory ammo hit an 8" gong 5/5 offhand at 150 yds. And again. And again. In fact, there were two young fellas and the GF of one of them shooting a scoped .22 at 25 and 50 yds, and I overheard the GF say to the one, "That old guy shoots better than you do at longer range, and without a scope!" Nothing like twisting the knife there, GF.

Back in the day, the .35 Remington and the Remington 14 / 141 was the "National Deer Rifle of Northern Pennsylvania," significantly more popular with serious deer hunters than Winchesters and Marlins in 30-30 or 32 Special. Pump actions were the weapon of choice in PA before boltguns became popular between WWI and WWII, and especially after WWII when the price came down on boltguns, due to archaic laws prohibiting hunting with semi-auto rifles and shotguns. Hunters that owned pump shotguns opted for pump rifles to take advantage of repetitive drill and muscle memory.

The Remington 14 was designed by America's other Prolific Arms Designer, John Pedersen. He was responsible for the Pedersen Device, which turned the M1903 Springfield into a semi-auto rifle firing a .30 caliber pistol cartridge, and also the Remington Model 51 pistol, the Model 10 pump-action shotgun and the Models 12, and 25 pump-action rifles. Pedersen and John Browning co-designed the Remington Model 17 pump-action shotgun, which was later redesigned and made in three highly successful forms: the Remington Model 31, Browning BPS, and the incredibly popular Ithaca 37. John M Browning called Pedersen "the world's best firearms designer." A Pedersen design competed with John C Garand's rifle for the semi-auto rifle the US Army and USMC sought in the 1930s, losing to the Garand design which of course became the "US Rifle, Cal .30, M1".

The Model 14 and 141 had a unique magazine tube assembly for two reasons -- the sheetmetal mag tube was spirally fluted, and this feature caused the cartridges in the mag tube to sit slightly off-axis. This intentional misalignment never brings the primer of one cartridge in contact with the tip of the bullet of the cartridge behind it. Second, the entire mag tube, cartridge stop, and elevator assembly moved rearward into the receiver for positive cartridge feeding, instead of relying on mag tube spring force alone to push a stack of cartridges back onto a cartridge elevator built into the receiver as with a lever gun.

The .35 Remington was a better performer at any distance than the 30-30 or 32 Special, and pretty much rivaled the also-popular 38-55 for northern PA deer hunters. The Remington 14 and its replacement Model 141 had solid reputations as intrinsically accurate rifles when shooting the .35 Remington, and reputation that still stands today. It is not for nothing that it was the rifle & cartridge of choice of prolific author and outdoorsman Zane Grey.

Original Model 14 Carbines and the extremely elusive 141 Carbines bring stupid high 4-digit $ money these days. I have $375 tied up in my "faux" 141 Carbine, which to my mind rectified a problem and made a great "car rifle" at the same time. Short, slick handling, fast, accurate, effective, and relatively inexpensive for a "project" gun -- what more could a PA Ridgerunner want?

OK, Straub Amber beer.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What to do with a Rem 141 Rifle with a ringed barrel?

Post by Borregos »

75 bucks well spent I'd say :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Good move Noah. :D You sure are right on the pump rifles being king here in Pa. Go to any gunshop, especially upstate, and you will find Remington 760's as common as liars on a gun forum. :D

I've had a few Model 14's and 141's over the years and none of them would keep up with any decent levergun. 760's are the exception and most of those rival boltguns in accuracy.

Hey! Allentown Ag Hall next weekend.--you going? I might--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Great save, and a really nice carbine now! (Imagine what this design would cost to manufacture these days...)
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Nice job there. I have one and it is a great rifle and the 35 Rem is really an underated cartridge. Good luck with it!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Well done. Great post
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I appreciate the comments!
Sixgun wrote: Hey! Allentown Ag Hall next weekend.--you going? I might--------Sixgun
I think my FOTDHAS Ag Hall show days are over. My youngest graduated in May last year from an LV institute of higher education, and now since she's not in the LV anymore it's a four-hour one-way drive for me to the Ag Hall.

I haven't been doing shows as much as frequenting shops for two reasons: 1) The merchandise at shows is simply marked up to be too expensive; there are few bargains to be had at shows and anymore I do better at gun shops; and B) I have an extremely short "short list" and no "long list" -- my collection is right where I want it.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Thanks for the description of the mechanism. I have not handled one and did not kown how much of it reciprocated with the slide.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Sounds like you found the right fix for you. I had a 94 with a ring about 2" back from the muzzle and just counter-bored the barrel back just past the ring. Didn't have to do anything to the sights and it went back to shooting great, just like your Remington.

I liked the post.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Very nice "save" there, Noah. Those 141/35 Rem pumps may be addicting: I liked my first one so well I ended up with a couple more (in case I wore out the first one, don't you know?). We had it out yesterday along with a couple 30/30s popping some tin cans in honor of the 4th. Granddaughter-in-law could hardly miss with the 141; was getting a big kick out outshooting us boys, too. I may have to pass it on to her and drop back to one of my spares.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Now that just makes me plum happy!!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Uber-groovy! Did it come with the dancing girls your avatar enjoyed so much? :wink:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
mav
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mav »

Ah, Beer in all its glory!

Nice carbine too. ;-)