Got a new tractor accessory - from Malamute

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Got a new tractor accessory - from Malamute

Post by AJMD429 »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Got a new tractor accessory - from Malamute

Post by Old No7 »

:mrgreen: I guess you could call that "Deere Medicine"... :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I love it! :mrgreen:
Love the JD too!

This is my little gun toater! (had to pull teeth to get it from Yamaha)and--------pay list :cry:
AR15 on the front/Ruger Ranch in the case.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/pro ... llery.aspx
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

I'd have that rifle FUBAR'D in no time riding around with it up there lol.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

that gun sparked an intrest in me when i saw it, but i didnt go any farther
looks to be put to good use, good deal for ya

ollogger
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bridger wrote:I'd have that rifle FUBAR'D in no time riding around with it up there lol.
Yep. I only do that when I'm doing something 'safe' like hauling a barrel of water to water seedlings or some such thing. Otherwise a single action revolver on the belt is the tool at hand.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Doc, I have often wanted to do that with my Mahindra, but in 9 years living here the only thing I have seen bigger than deer and my 80 pound Lab was someone trespassing on the neighbors land. Looked to be unarmed, but you never know. I nearly always have a .357 or .45Colt/ACP on me tho.
But, then again, will that scabbard fit my SKS or maybe my .30-30 Trapper? :D Still might do it.
Like the JD also. My Mahindra is also a great tractor.
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Cool 8) and looks like you have your tackle box on board too, fishin and huntin from the JD can`t beat that.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Really like the P-14 front sight!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pitchy wrote:Cool 8) and looks like you have your tackle box on board too, fishin and huntin from the JD can`t beat that.
It just has a ViceGrip and some twine and chain... :wink:

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

AJMD429 wrote:
Pitchy wrote:Cool 8) and looks like you have your tackle box on board too, fishin and huntin from the JD can`t beat that.
It just has a ViceGrip and some twine and chain... :wink:
That should work for cat fish. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

ollogger wrote:
that gun sparked an intrest in me when i saw it, but i didnt go any farther
ollogger...i was thinking the same thing...don't need to get into another gun/caliber...unfortunately that rifle looks like a good idea...ahh nuts... :)
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Looks good to me! My choice rides in a holster on my hip too but sometimes a rifle is just the thing. That would be an outstanding set-up for areas infested with hogs.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

336bl wrote:I was thinking the same thing...don't need to get into another gun/caliber...
Well, I was toying with heavy bullets for the .32-20 cartridge, so OF COURSE needed an excuse to buy some .312-314 bullets... :D

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Actually, that gun would likey be just dandy with the 115-120 gr cast 32-20 bullet at about 1200 fps. Would make a nice small game, pest and plinking load.

I think the groove diameter of it is pretty close to .311".
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

BTW AJ, I like that tractor and would like a few pictures of it when you get a chance lol. Can't help it, I love heavy equipment and the like.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

It usurped the rightful place of a levergun? The shame, the shame! I can't bear it! I must withdraw... :mrgreen: :P :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bridger wrote:BTW AJ, I like that tractor and would like a few pictures of it when you get a chance lol. Can't help it, I love heavy equipment and the like.
At delivery - Image
Came with a bottom-mount mower, removable front-end-loader, and rear grader/scraper.

Added a King Cutter 'forklift' on the three-point, with a slip-and-lock-in wood platform for hauling things, and a removable steer-panel box to sit on top if hauling loose stuff.

Also added a King Cutter tiller. Here's a picture just after we used the loader to get the tiller off the pickup truck then attached it.

But it STILL won't get rid of driveway-ice... :( I guess having a 19,000 pound bulldozer (bought for $9,000, put $3,000 of add-ons and repairs in it over 4 years, then sold it for $11,000 8) ) spoiled me - those tracks just sort of crunched up the ice and made it easy to remove - one trip down and one trip back.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote:But it STILL won't get rid of driveway-ice... :( I guess having a 19,000 pound bulldozer (bought for $9,000, put $3,000 of add-ons and repairs in it over 4 years, then sold it for $11,000 8) ) spoiled me - those tracks just sort of crunched up the ice and made it easy to remove - one trip down and one trip back.
Rock salt, in a seed broadcast spreader. Or, leave the driveway as rock. After a summer of dry and the rock getting mashed down into the clay, re-rock in the fall. Sometimes, if the spring is especially wet, I'll rock again in the spring. (Sometimes I think, 'surely, I'm rock all the way to China by now")! My neighbors asphalted their drive, and on icy days, are locked in place without their chains... me, pop the p/u in 4WD and drive out, ice isn't ever thick enough to really be a problem, except on smooth surfaces.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Griff wrote:. . . ice isn't ever thick enough to really be a problem, except on smooth surfaces.
Yep. Our problem is that although it is a rock driveway, the snow melts and re-freezes into a glaze of ice; the driveway is shaded, so it takes forever to melt. Removing most of the snow helps keep the ice thinner at least, so it doesn't stay as long. I think getting a pile of gravel delivered each fall so I can distribute some on top of the ice might help.

I guess if that's the worst 'environmental' fight I have, I'm blessed.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote:
Griff wrote:. . . ice isn't ever thick enough to really be a problem, except on smooth surfaces.
Yep. Our problem is that although it is a rock driveway, the snow melts and re-freezes into a glaze of ice; the driveway is shaded, so it takes forever to melt. Removing most of the snow helps keep the ice thinner at least, so it doesn't stay as long. I think getting a pile of gravel delivered each fall so I can distribute some on top of the ice might help.
I guess if that's the worst 'environmental' fight I have, I'm blessed.
Use bigger rock. I get mine at least 1". But, then I don't have the amount of ice you get up there.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Would tire chains on the tractor help bust up some of the ice ?
Phil
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

1894 wrote:Would tire chains on the tractor help bust up some of the ice ?
Tractor doesn't weigh enough for that. Tried a sort of 'box scraper' too, but if you put enough weight on it to even cut a single groove (take out all the teeth but one) in the ice, then the tractor can't pull it (maybe could with chains, but the three-point hitch has very little clearance from the tires on these small tractors). Ice is tough...!

Thought about getting up on the roof with my Mini-14 and busting it up that way, but probably not a good idea... :shock: :lol:

BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

AJ,

I wondering how the mechanincal front wheel assist (MFWA) is for steering and how it might compare with a tractor that is not front wheel drive?

I currently have a compact tractor without & it turns short, sharp and generally without tearing up the ground.

I'm considering getting another with the front wheel assist - but wonder if the turning radius may be significantly more?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Doc,
I really like that contraption for your rifle. You are blessed for living in an area where that is accepted. In the early years living here, it too was OK, but now if I carry a large revolver while on the tractor, people slow down and give me the look........."Look at that nut". You ought to see the people slow down when I'm shooting branches off of trees after a storm. City yuppies, I wish they would go back to where they came.

The John Deere you have is very cool and the right size for a redneck homeowner. My Kubota is about the same size. I was wondering, do you have calcium in the back wheels? Mine does and makes a big difference in traction in the snow/ice.

About the only thing you can do for the ice is to spread salt or keep a load of cinders nearby and spread them. Rich people around here have heaters in their driveway. It is a collection of copper pipes that travels the length of the driveway and is run through their house heating system. My driveway is 400' long and on a peon's salary, thats out of the question.----------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I don't know about the steering assist stuff; unsure if mine has it or not. Maybe describe it to me and I can say???

I didn't use calcium after seeing the major corrosion on my nephew's John Deere that he used it in. If I weight the wheels I'll use regular weights. Carrying something on the back platform and front bucket helps alot.

I know what you mean about the yuppies - they destroy everything they claim to cherish... They move out to the country to be away from all the crime and taxes and so on, but pretty soon they want fancier schools and sidewalks and rural water utilities and so on, so they raise taxes, and start telling you what you can and can't do with YOUR property. Their kids don't have jobs because they don't need them, so spend their days out burglarizing. They bring their 'compassion' with them, and expand the welfare programs so you also get a permanent class of welfare-dependent, drug-dependent slime that steals what the yuppie's kids don't get.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Why not use anti-freeze in the rear tires? I do, no corrosion and been in more than a good while! ~20 years on one, and about 14 on the other when it was replaced.

As far as tearing up the ground when turning tight? That's more a sympton of speed and improper alignment.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

[quote="AJMD429"]I don't know about the steering assist stuff; unsure if mine has it or not. Maybe describe it to me and I can say???

Doc,
I surely didn't mean to complicate things... MFWA/MFWD both are what most would call 4 wheel drive - but it is not really four wheel drive. Likely, your JD owners manual will use the term MFWD.

Anyway, what I was trying to ask: Have you used a tractor without 4 wheel drive enough to compare to the one in your picture that appears to have 4 wheel drive? If so, does the 4WD model tear up the ground more than a non 4WD when turning sharply? Does your 4WD take more room to turn than a non 4wd?

I've found in my 40 years of driving a tractor, that a ribbed, front tractor tire (standard, not 4 wheel drive) will tear the ground some when turning sharply. This is not a matter of alignment nearly as much as a matter of that center rib on a fairly new front tire.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The tractor can turn very sharp corners; I doubt any sharper if it were 2wd.

I believe the power goes "to" one front and the opposite rear, but you can lock the differential(s), or at least the rear one.

Turf doesn't seem to get damaged, though we don't really have any 'fragile' ground; fescue on clay is hard to tear up. Anyway, with the tires it has, no problem.

Now the dozer - if you wanted to tear things up real quick (and spend time hosing dirt & rocks out of the track rollers), just sit and spin...! I did it a couple times to loosen things up enough for the tiller. Great on iced gravel - fixes it right now!

Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I live over here in Central Illinois and I deal with about the same weather as you. Unless you live up by the lake. I got me a 30 HP Bobcat utility tractor with a bucket and I have added a blade, disc, and a 3 point platform like you have for your pallet. And a 6 foot bush hog. That's sure the right size for me to use on my 7.5 acres and it's fun too. I sure like to spend my time there but working and a paycheck comes in kinda handy too.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old No7 wrote::mrgreen: I guess you could call that "Deere Medicine"... :wink:

Old No7
:D :D :D