Taget shoots started fildfires?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Taget shoots started fildfires?

Post by hightime »

I don't think I buy it. Do you?
Is it a subversive move to ban shooting. That's what they did. They banned shooting.

Owen
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Re: Taget shoots started fildfires?

Post by MrMurphy »

Assuming your english means what I thought it meant........ not unheard of, though mostly from tracer ammunition.

Everytime we did machine gun quals, there were issues with small fires being lit from tracers and dry underbrush.

If a round (FMJ) hit a rock and sparked, the possibility would be low, but still possible.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

hightime wrote:I don't think I buy it. Do you?
Is it a subversive move to ban shooting. That's what they did. They banned shooting.

Owen
It 's been proven that some types of bullets striking some types of mineral surfaces can cause sparks that may lead to the ignition of combustibles.

Most recreational shooters and hunters don't use tracers when they target practice.

That said, it's a remote possiblitity, but not likely.

If the fires were 'set', it is a much more likely possibility that there are progressive enviro-whackos, out to demonstrate how evil and dangerous ordinary everyday people enjoying the outdoors can be, or federal forest and park service LEOs, at the root.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Steel cased bullets, steel penetrators, and the spall from copper bullets striking steel can all cause sparks and sometimes fires. We've had issues with all three areas at our range over the last 5 years.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Shooting area in foothills not far from Hemet, CA--Forest Service requires you to call them any day you want to shoot. Some days they allow shooting only in the mornings. Some days--not at all.

If we had their experience of fighting fires and knowing the danger and losses that can occur I expect most of us would want to be real safe when it comes to possibly starting fires.

That area is my cup a tea and I appreciate them allowing me to shoot there.

Couple of weeks ago big fire in mountains not very far north of where I live here in Hemet. Don't believe any serious damage done.

Don
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Mostly idiots shooting AP, tracer, steel jacket and those "Dragon's Breath" fool things.

Ban idiots, not guns.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Our local public shooting area is on Bureau of Land Management land backed by a steep hillside covered with rocky areas. There are fires here every summer, and I was witness to one just last week. They are invariably caused by someone shooting at big rocks on the hillside with some sort of military surplus rifle using surplus steel core ammunition. I never understood why they consider it good marksmanship or even sporting to hit a rock the size of an elephant only a couple hundred yards away.

BLM bans shooting after noon, but in this hot, dry area we still get fires. Usually after about the third one BLM bans shooting entirely until cooler weather arrives. Then I am forced to travel nearly 70 miles to a club range to shoot.

The problem is not so much the cheap military surplus ammunition, but people's inability to use common sense in choosing an appropriate target and/or backstop. For that, we all suffer the consequences.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

So lead bullets won't start fires. Maybe California should reconsider the lead ban in condor zones?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
JHarold
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JHarold »

A article in our morning paper, Headlines: GUNS BLAMED FOR STARTING WILDFIRES IN PARCHED WEST. (ASSOCIATED PRESS)

This year officials believe target shooting or other firearms use sparked at least 21 wildfires
in Utah and nearly a doxen in Idaho. Shooting is also believed to have caused fires in Arizona, Nevada and New Mexico.

Statistics on wildfires caused by firearms are incomplete because the federal government does not list "shooting" as a cause on its fire reports.

Utah officials believe steel-jacketed bullets are the most likly culprits, given that one shot that hits a rock and throws off sparks can ignite surrounding vegetation and quickly spread.

Popular exploding targets are also blamed for causing wildfires.

In Utah, Republican Gov. Gary Herbert took the unusual step of authorizing the top state official it impose gun restrictions on public lands after a gunfire sparked fire.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Yes shooting can and does cause fires especially in the tender dry conditions found throughout most of the highplains and rocky mountain region. A bullet striking a rock (even a lead bullet) can cause that rock to break and most times when rock is hard enough to shatter it's capable of causing sparks. Remember the cave men didn't have zippo lighters and peizo ignition for their fires.....
Common sense at this time can save millions of dollars and peoples homes and livelyhood....
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The problem is most people now can be medically diagnosed with LCS. ( Low Common Sense).
Ad to that you can't buy it on eBay, so most folks do without.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It is a SHAME we have to be so suspicious that some EnviroTard or no-guns-for-peasants type LEO would set fires just to make a case for anti-gun laws. . .
  • . . . BUT THAT KIND OF THING DOES HAPPEN ALL THE TIME. :( :evil:
Having said that, I've seen lots of sparks when shooting the old water-heater tank we keep at the range as a 50-yard 'self-defense pistol' target. I'm not sure if they were just 'military' ammo or not; I've seen the sparks so often I'm thinking they are often from regular bullets as well.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I thought I read somewhere that tannerite was being blamed for at least one of these fires. The youtube videos I've seen show more flames than I would have believed, if I hadn't of seen the videos for myself.

I also didn't used to think lead would spark, but buckshot will definitely throw sparks off of steel targets :? I've seen that myself. It would have to be really dry for sparks to start a wildfire, but it is really dry now.

We average 45 inches of rain a year, but I expect us to have burn bans by next week. Two or three years of good growth in the spring backed by dry summers provide a heavy fuel load.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

This idiot did pretty good by using a shotgun: http://www.thesmokin...est-fire-879543. Wasn't target shooting, per se... but shooting without regard to consequences.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

ALL of the shooting related fires I've been around have come from one of 3 sources:

Smoldering Patches &/or other unburnt stuff from MLs,
People firing prone in tall grass while shooting a flamethrower load, or
Tracers.

The first two start closeup fires that are easy to extinguish, the last burnt several thousand acres at Camp Guernsey

I've never seen a round throw sparks that started a grassfire.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

Well, I know one fire just west of where I live in Colorado Springs (not the Waldo fire) was started by a couple guys shooting at propane tanks. It's been a very dry winter/springs so it doesn't take much
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Here is a link to the article mentioned by Griff that works. http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/ ... ire-879543
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Mich hunter wrote:Well, I know one fire just west of where I live in Colorado Springs (not the Waldo fire) was started by a couple guys shooting at propane tanks. It's been a very dry winter/springs so it doesn't take much
That would do it.

But I also don't consider shooting at stuff like that to be regular "target shooting" either...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Perhaps the proper way to shoot gas tanks would be for one shooter to go down range and hold the tank in front of their chest while the other shooter fires at it. Actually surprised someone hasn't done this on YouTube yet. Would work for tannerite also. :roll:
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker