"Real Guns" review of new Marlington Guide gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

"Real Guns" review of new Marlington Guide gun

Post by crs »

For the fan or owner of a Marlin levergun, this article covers accuracy and fit and finish with plenty of pictures:

http://www.realguns.com/articles/409.htm
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Re: "Real Guns" review of new Marlington Guide gun

Post by DixieBoy »

I just posted this link on the Marlin production thread. The man who runs that site/store does great firearms reviews, the best out there, in my opinion. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Cool site thanks. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I find the reviewer's assessment parallels my own observations, which I have written of, many times before..

A local Toy Store has a pair of new Marlin Guide Guns in stock, and I took opportunity to handle them both, a couple evenings ago. I wish I could report that I "fondled" them, but that was not the case.. One of the most glaring (and potentially-troubling) faults to catch my jaded old eyes was the Gaposis around the loading gate spring cover.. One could figuratively - if not literally - throw a cat through the spaces above and below the cover..! The covers themselves looked to have been "polished" by a ham-handed, one-eyed Neanderthal, on the occasion of his first exposure to power equipment..! In fact, it was the uncomfortably striking visual of the loading gate metal that first caught my eye..

The stock wood stood proud at the wrist of each gun, and the top edges of the bulbous fore end wood were sharp and obtrusive.. (ah yes... "kindling.." I nearly forgot...)

Needless to say, I will STILL not be in the market for anything from Marlin, for the foreseeable future..
Last edited by Buck Elliott on Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
dogngun
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dogngun »

I always liked the Marlins, but I like the older ones better...I'll stick with used versions, thanks anyway.

mark
The GOP/teabag party - Anti American AND stupid.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Considering how long this has been going on, I have my doubts that we will be seeing any new Marlin products much longer.
deafrn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by deafrn »

Birdman wrote:Considering how long this has been going on, I have my doubts that we will be seeing any new Marlin products much longer.
It does seem that FG-Ilion has a learning curve that my old shop teacher certainly wouldn't tolerate. My fear that Marlin QC was becoming like Rossi QC came true before the production went to NY, and promptly dropped through the floor subsequently. The disturbing thing is that any steps forward seem to be accompanied by another step back.

I'm not a carriage trade gun buyer by any means, but at this point I'd be happy enough to see - and pay extra for - the Marlin 1894 to be made by someone with QC standards like Miroku. No, it wouldn't be like a having a "North Haven Marlin" (not all of which were masterpieces to begin with), but at least I'd feel fairly confident that the gun would look good, work correctly out of the box, not choke/break at the wrong time and generally deliver some pride of ownership without needing to be redone by the factory or a third party.
deafrn

"I wasn't ignoring you, I just couldn't hear you. Okay, NOW I'm ignoring you."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

deafrn wrote:I'm not a carriage trade gun buyer by any means, but at this point I'd be happy enough to see - and pay extra for - the Marlin 1894 to be made by someone with QC standards like Miroku.
This is sort of a Marlin 1894/336 hybrid...
...one in .475 Linebaugh would be kinda nice...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Buck,
Doesthis mean that David Clay has delivered a .500 S&W levergun when that other maker, Big Horn Armory, could not? :shock:
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/