Taurus, or Charter Arms??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Taurus, or Charter Arms??

Post by Blaine »

Those seem to be the second tier in cost, but not (maybe) quality. I've owed neither. What say you?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Taurus, or Charter Arms??

Post by Sixgun »

Charter Arms----------They make 'em here.--------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:Charter Arms----------They make 'em here.--------------Sixgun
So are most of the Taurus, IIRC.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I had a Taurus -- compact .44 Special snub -- it was a good revolver after i had a couple of microns of material sanded off the forcing cone so it would reliably cycle.

If one looks at it like that , they are probably good to go (be happy if its perfect out of the box, but expect a minor issue or two --- my forcing cone issue was not detectable until it started getting hot after 3-4 rounds )

Haven't tried a Charter yet, but might do it if i can get a cheaper deal as i am looking for another .44 snub
----- Doug
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I won't buy another Taurus, even if no other brand guns were made, going forward.

Eons ago, I had a Model 94 (think: S&W Kit Gun), that had soft internals & wouldn't cycle reliably. I colored it "gone".

After a million years, I figured that "maybe" Taurus got their act together, & bought a new .22 Mag 5" M-941 the keep my CA Pathfinder company.

The new Taurus was improperly timed, sidespitting debris back into my face (good thing I wore shooting glasses) right from the very first cylinder-full !

After messing with it a little (VERY little), and shooting it for a few more cylinder's full - I gave up on it.

I KNEW, from reading about the experience of dozens of other Taurus buyers going through the lengthy Taurus warranty process (over on http://www.rimfirecentral.com ), that it wasn't for me - so I took it back to the FFL I bought it from, where he gave me full credit on another gun (I'm a GOOD customer ;) ).

Last edited by Pete44ru on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

THe Tar's I have owned in the past where stuff plain and simple with the exception of their Model-85 snubbies, their so called quality control and ISO ratings aren't worth the paper and ink written with

Charter has had ups and downs but the 44spl and 22 mag kit gun they make have been fine preformers// after I took them apart and did some finish work on them just like any other handgun
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

BlaineG wrote:

Blaine,
I didn't know that. Well, thats what I get for running my mouth on something I was not 100% sure of.

Personally, I would wait to get the extra bucks and then buy a 'Smith. The resale value is much better and your pretty much guaranteed quality. The cost can't be a whole lot more.------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I agree with Sixgun, but then I'm sold on Smiths through and through except for the few odd Rugers.
My wife has an older Undercover that gives her peace of mind and that's fine for her. There's nothing wrong with it and it goes bang when it needs to it's just not for me.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

Blaine,
I didn't know that. Well, thats what I get for running my mouth on something I was not 100% sure of.

Personally, I would wait to get the extra bucks and then buy a 'Smith. The resale value is much better and your pretty much guaranteed quality. The cost can't be a whole lot more.------------Sixgun
Oh, I agree....Even Ruger puts out dogs a little too often. Smiths seem perfect (from my very limited experience) I do have a buddy, and he's been known to post here, that carries for his job, and has always had Taurus, and would never own anything else....I have no personal experience with either, but as prices go up, I may someday.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Can't complain about either. My wife has been carrying a Taurus model 85 for close to twenty years. It's fired at least monthly (though I try to get her out more often). It's no +p rated, but with standard pressure JHP's it is easy for her to handle and with her laser, she's good beyond 25yds.

I've got an older CA Bulldog, that again is shot with some frequency. It sees mostly reloads, but gets some WW Silvertip JHP's. In addition I have a newer .38 spl Southpaw. A fair number or rounds thru it so far, again mostly reloads. The only complaint was that the trigger was a bit stiff and gritty. It's working in nicely.

So, quality wise, you can't go wrong with either, based on my experience. I'd just decide which model fits you needs, buy it and forget about anything else.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

The Taurus guns(ones I have/had)have been nice guns.
SS PT 111 (9mm)
SS 8" Raging Bull (.454 Casull)
Pro 145

No experience with Charter Arms

Are you looking for just a revolver???

I will say-------without doubt the best shooting(probably the ruggedest made gun I have ever seen)is the imported by Interarms (Star 31P)16rd 9mm

That gun could almost be used for a sledge hammer, and the accuracy/shoot anything/is absolutely unreal.Reminds me of shooting my buddies Sig P210

In my one Military Great Handguns Digest they did a study on that 31P (used by Military/police)in Spain they said that guns is absolutely to most dependable under ALL worst conditions and the averaged groups(50ft offhand rapid fire)beat almost every gun tested.1.5" groups were the average.

Don't know what Star/Interarms got going on-----but I would buy another one of theirs in a minute.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'd prolly get a CZ, or a Makarov if I wanted a little, off brand pistol. Rossi, too.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Have owned Taurus 66 and 669 for well over 20 years. The 669 shots 38 waddcutters like a target pistols. I put a lot of 38/357 rounds down them since. Shoot buffaloe bore 180's at 1400fps thru both. No problems. Both are not Colt python's, but they never failed me. :wink:
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I have had maybe a dozen Taurus guns, perhaps half that many Charters, through the years. Never the slightest problem with any of them.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I've owned one Taurus (.22 rifle) that was reliable.

I've seen another 15-20 go back for maintenance, enough so I would not buy one myself.

Charter guns I've seen (as of 2005-2006ish) didn't particularly impress me, have not seen any new production.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

hey, Blaine.
have an old 38 taurus revolver blue 4", don't know the model.
the only trouble i've had was the ejector rod unscrewed and tied up the cylinder.
shoots alright , feels like an old smith in the hand.

is this a life or death kind of gun? if not go for it. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Streetstar wrote:...my forcing cone issue was not detectable until it started getting hot after 3-4 rounds.
That's interesting; what exactly did you notice? I never have checked how 'hot' any part of a revolver got; was it subtle or something even I would notice...???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

pokey wrote:hey, Blaine.
have an old 38 taurus revolver blue 4", don't know the model.
the only trouble i've had was the ejector rod unscrewed and tied up the cylinder.
shoots alright , feels like an old smith in the hand.

is this a life or death kind of gun? if not go for it. :wink:
Ain't buying no more this year....I'm selling :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

AJMD429 wrote:
Streetstar wrote:...my forcing cone issue was not detectable until it started getting hot after 3-4 rounds.
That's interesting; what exactly did you notice? I never have checked how 'hot' any part of a revolver got; was it subtle or something even I would notice...???
the tolerances got so close the cylinder would lock up and wouldnt turn --- you definitely would have noticed it :lol: totally useless in double action mode for anything other than 2 shots

when it cooled down, it would resume working again - for 2-3 more shots

but still, the number of 44 Snubs out there is very small, (i thought just Charco -Charter and Taurus ) - so it was worth the work to me
----- Doug
dogngun
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dogngun »

I just bought a new Charter Arms Off Duty last week.
I like it so much, I just ordered a second one.

I have been shooting handguns for over 45 years, including all kinds and makes of revolvers. This is the concealed hammer DAO, 2", stainless mechanicals with aluminum frame.
It is THE most accurate snubby I have ever shot, and the only alloy frame .38 Spl I can shoot well with. They have a 3 point cylinder lockup and special bore rifling techniques. If you dry fire it a few hundred times, it smooths up a lot. I had wanted a Wolff Spring kit for it, but I find no need of one now.

It is a great design. It is very solid despite its 12 oz empty weight. I really like the boot grips, and I don't like most rubber grips at all. The gun is very comfortable to shoot, and fits the hand very well. CA's owner says they have so few new revolvers returned for repair that there is NO permanent repair person...just who ever has time to get to it.

It is made and designed here, and it is my constant carry now...my old Smiths stay home and may even be sold later this year. I have little need for guns that stay in the drawer.

Funny, I am mainly a Smith revolver fan, and I have been carrying a Rossi 462, a Keltec .32 and now a Charter Arms .38 Spl.

FWIW, CA says these revolvers are rated for +P, but they state that in the short barrels there is little real difference from standard velocity ammo.
I am using Magtech 158 grain lead semi wadcutters.

FWIW.

mark
The GOP/teabag party - Anti American AND stupid.