I'm not losing a tooth, I'm gaining a ____?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

I'm not losing a tooth, I'm gaining a ____?

Post by El Chivo »

implant? denture? bridge?

After 13 years and three root canals, my right molar is giving up the ghost. It wears a gold crown but is cracked somewhere and is letting in bacteria. So it has to go.

My dentist is suggesting an implant, whereas I am leaning more toward a removable denture. Basically I want no more infections down in the jaw, and I'm thinking once it's healed - keep it that way. Anything I can take out I can clean. I REALLY don't like the idea of a giant titanium screw lodged in my jawbone. But people like them. I'd like to hear from those who have been down this road.

I'm not sure I trust dentists anymore, the last one kept asking me "Is it safe?"
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I'm not losing a tooth, I'm gaining a ____?

Post by Tycer »

El Chivo wrote:.......the last one kept asking me "Is it safe?"
Chills just ran down my spine. Ooooooooh.

"It is not safe!"
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

...a more interesting smile??? :lol: :lol:

I've lost my RRL molar, the 2nd has broken in half and now the 2nd RL is just a shell. I'm having the same discussion w/my dentist next month. I'm thinking about the implants, but need more facts before I go that much farther in debt.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hillbilly smile?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jager3
Levergunner

Post by jager3 »

I just had a crown put on my left rear molar 5 days ago to complete the "implant" procedure. My dentist (a cousin) recommended the implant; for I had a "dead" tooth that had to be removed. The procedure was in 3 stages: (1) removal of the tooth, implant "socket" put into the jaw bone (drilled), and a "post" installed (2) I was to give the implant two months before the next procedure to make sure there were no problems of "rejection" or infections, which there were none, and I had a "mold" done on the 2nd appointment so the crown could be made (3) my 3rd and final appointment (5 days ago) "torqued" the implant "post" into the socket and the crown "fitted" precisely in place. Very little pain was experienced during any of the procedures or after.
I am very pleased with the results and prefer it greatly to a "bridge" or temporary tooth that has to be taken out and cleaned (I've had one of each of those for 15 years!). The "temps", if attached to another tooth tends to destroy the adjoining tooth over time and seems to collect every food particle put into one's mouth. (Others may have had better experiences, but I have not.) Although fairly costly, I much prefer the implant to other alternatives. I hope my experience is of some help.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

My wife has three implanted teeth, they have been in there for several years with no problems. From living in a senior citizen community, I know LOTS of people who have them and have never heard of anyone having any complications, other than having to pay for them. :shock:
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Just pull them. Hurts for a while, but trouble free from then on...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

El Chivo wrote: I'm not sure I trust dentists anymore, the last one kept asking me "Is it safe?"
:cry: :cry: Yes, Olivier & Hoffman, 1976. A little clove oil will soothe it:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Hagler wrote:
El Chivo wrote: I'm not sure I trust dentists anymore, the last one kept asking me "Is it safe?"
:cry: :cry: Yes, Olivier & Hoffman, 1976. A little clove oil will soothe it:

Shawn
I know that feeling! When i had my crown put on, the dentist used compressed air to dry my original tooth before gluing the crown on, made it feel like five hangovers at one time, I howled at the moon on at one. No problems so far though. the only thing i hate about doctors is dealing with needles! :cry:
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Old Ironsights wrote:Hillbilly smile?
Yep that`s what i`m doing, hate them dentures.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

My upper right rear molar has been gone for years. Now the lower right rear is cracked and has to go because it's doing the same bacteria thing. Don't know if the ortho will remove a chemo patient's tooth. That'll make three teeth gone, not counting wisdoms. Uncle Sam pulled those 45 yrs ago. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Implant. JMHO 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
msmith1228
Levergunner 2.0

Post by msmith1228 »

Which molar (it makes a difference) ?
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

My son had 6 implants after a mountain bike accident. He has no problems in 7 years. It's quite a process but worked out well for him
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

jager3 wrote:I just had a crown put on my left rear molar 5 days ago to complete the "implant" procedure. My dentist (a cousin) recommended the implant; for I had a "dead" tooth that had to be removed. The procedure was in 3 stages: (1) removal of the tooth, implant "socket" put into the jaw bone (drilled), and a "post" installed (2) I was to give the implant two months before the next procedure to make sure there were no problems of "rejection" or infections, which there were none, and I had a "mold" done on the 2nd appointment so the crown could be made (3) my 3rd and final appointment (5 days ago) "torqued" the implant "post" into the socket and the crown "fitted" precisely in place. Very little pain was experienced during any of the procedures or after.
I am very pleased with the results and prefer it greatly to a "bridge" or temporary tooth that has to be taken out and cleaned (I've had one of each of those for 15 years!). The "temps", if attached to another tooth tends to destroy the adjoining tooth over time and seems to collect every food particle put into one's mouth. (Others may have had better experiences, but I have not.) Although fairly costly, I much prefer the implant to other alternatives. I hope my experience is of some help.
Thanks for the info, I don't want anything to destroy the "good" teeth. I would almost rather leave it out and have the space there but she says it lets the other teeth move around, especially the one above it, without any opposition it tends to drop down and get sensitive. I wouldn't mind something put in as opposition to fill the space, and could take it out to eat. But I didn't like the look of the attaching wires on the sample I saw.

I've seen a lot of dentists advertising implants for $399 and my dentist offers them for $599 - but it might be a trick. Remember the old Midas commercial? A guy walks into the muffler shop and says "I want the $19.95 muffler special". They hand him a box and say "here's your muffler". The guy, taken aback, says, "A-aren't you going to install it?" They say, "Oh, you want it INSTALLED? Gonna run ya a little more".

I could imagine my dentist coming out of the back room, handing me a little box with a screw in it and say, "OK, here's your implant. Oh, you want INSTALLED? Gonna run ya a little more".
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

msmith1228 wrote:Which molar (it makes a difference) ?
lower right molar, second from the back - my main chewing anvil for 50 years.
deafrn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by deafrn »

I had a cracked molar replaced by an implant within this last year and have and zero problems with it yet, while the roughly half century of miscellaneous old-school dental work (and rework) is a continual pain in the... mouth. The time it takes for the bone to grow back seems a tad long, but the procedure itself is no big deal.

Would I have it done again? Yes! A couple of fellow over-the-hill types have lamented to me about their not even being given the implant option when they got their bridgework.
deafrn

"I wasn't ignoring you, I just couldn't hear you. Okay, NOW I'm ignoring you."