Straight grip buttstock on a model 71

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Straight grip buttstock on a model 71

Post by getitdone1 »

Did anyone here ever make their pistol grip model 71 Winchester/Browning into a straight grip--or have it done?

Malamute? Weren't you considering this?

Why would I want to mutilate the gun--some might ask? Tastes differ. I can definitely lever a straight grip--from the shoulder--easier and faster than I can a pistol grip.

Might also add a full length magazine and thin-down the forestock.

Don
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Straight grip buttstock on a model 71

Post by tman »

You are describing my dream gun. In the carbine version. If u do it, please keep us updated. Thanks.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Don, are you talking original or Browning copy? It's cake with the Browning, but a little more difficult with an original. A Miroku 1886 EL stock will fit the Browning and a original 1886 shotgun stock will work on the old one. You can also utilize a ELW forend.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

You are describing my dream gun. In the carbine version. If u do it, please keep us updated. Thanks.
+1! Find yourself a Browning and go to town.

Eric
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

A straight-stocked 71 is on my wish list! :D
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

How about the lower tang? Will a Miroku 1886 straight lower fit on the Browning 71?
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Yes, with caveats. A Browning/Miroku 1886 lower tang will likely fit the Browning/Miroku 71. To be honest, though, I have not examined the action of a Browning 71, but they pretty much have to be the same as the 1886. All, including the original Winchester Model 71 used the coil main spring. The problem is that Browning did not make a straight lower tang. You can modify a Winchester/Miroku straight tang to accept the Browning coil spring. It requires drilling a hole in the tang to fit the block that holds the spring.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

My 71 has the short tang, so an 86 stock won't fit.

Yes Don, I'm planning on eventually making mine straight. I just never could warm up to the tight pistol grip of the 71's/64's. The tang and stock can be ground straight, the lever is the main thing to deal with. I also like a full magazine, thinner fore end, and a 22" barrel.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Easiest scenario might be finding a Browning 348 carbine barrel and screwing it on a 1886 EL. Adding a FM on that is cake. You need a Browning 1886 carbine tube and a front mag hanger for a original '86. Repros are made of the type that twist into the dovetail that would be made under the barrel. Ask Mike Hunter about doing the work if you haven't the tools the make the circular cut. He did the FM set up on one of my ELs. :)